“Not 4 star but probably once was”
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I try to be as truthful as I can with my reviews, I feel sorry now for Overseas hotels who have to offer All Inclusive to attract holidaymakers, as with the quality of food and drink that hoteliers have to offer other things have to go lacking and in my opinion the things that go lacking are the upkeep and staffing of the hotels. This hotel looks tired, the reception area shows you what a magnificent hotel it must have been in its time but it needs some serious TLC.
The food was fantastic, beautiful tender cuts of meat all the time, the restaurant was excellent the only thing lacking was sometimes you had nearly finished your meal before your drink arrived.
Staff in the hotel are all very pleasant, Tony the barman is a fantastic singer :)
The pool area had ample beds but the pool was too small for my liking although if you have children there are safe kiddy pools. The entertainment was dire and on Friday Saturday and I think Sunday nights you cannot get a seat in the bar as it is taken over by Maltese people all dressed up who come to do formation dancing for their pleasure not our entertainment, I found them rude, trying to push us out of the bar area, no room for any holidaymakers to dance
Our room was massive there were 4 beds in there we paid extra for a superior room which included air conditioning , a fridge, a small sofa, tv and pool view, the bathroom was also very large. The air conditioning was not working sufficiently while we were there though and we were experiencing temperatures between 30 and 36 which for the time of year was VERY hot. I have been to Malta many tinmes before but my last visit was 12 years ago, a lot has changed since then the whole island looks jaded, the bars look tacky the entertainment in the bars are old people who look like they need a makeover. All inclusive causes hard times for everyone. While I used to think Malta was a lovely place for the younger mature person it has now changed into a holiday resort for the elderly in my opinion. I'm not in a hurry to go back

Room Tip: Pay extra for a superior room with a pool view, fridge and a massive bathroom and free air condition...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kaz4rich
There are newer reviews for Canifor Hotel

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent 5 days half board at The Canifor Hotel. I found it very clean, the staff were great and the food plentiful and varied. Our room was massive and very comfy. Other family members stayed here at the same time and their rooms were similar but not as roomy. The pool area was smallish, but there were loads of sun beds available. Drinks at the bar were very cheap, which was a pleasant surprise. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel as I booked it for a bargain price . At the end of the day you get what you pay for, and the hotel is more 3* than 4*, but that is reflected in the price you pay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Debbiedoodle1
Reviewed July 16, 2013

we've been 8 days at this hotel, we had HB. Hotel is really lovely, staff was helpful, room was tidy and good. We could see sea from our balcony. During dinner there was plenty of choice to choose from. From fruits only water melons. but there were cakes and other things so it was fine.
We haven't spent any time in pool area so could not comment that.
Hotel is in good location, not far from rocky beach. To golden bay or milieha it's about an hour with a bus, there you will find sandy beach. It's a very good value for money hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank grumlc
Reviewed July 14, 2013

beware on booking this hotel.we booked this hotel despite seeing
lots of negative reviews.we arrived to be asked to fill the normal
form.once completed was asked to go the managers office,
was there told there was no rooms .told it was because of a maintenance issue.
but was told we would moved to a hotel with same amenities .but not so
found that we were one couple among many treated with contempt by this hotel.
hope you dont have same problems as us

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tonyjash
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I booked 4 months in advance to stay at the Canifor as I knew the hotel (been before) and it's in a great location. However, on arrival, after filling in the usual form, I was advised that there had been a "problem with floor I was due to be staying on" and provision had been made for me elsewhere (Il-Palazzin). I asked where the replacement hotel was and how was I meant to get there (I'd just paid 25 Euros for a taxi from the airport so wasn't willing to incur extra expense) and some random bloke hanging round the reception area gave me a lift.
Following this I had to contact folks I was seeing out there to tell them I was elsewhere and re-arrange pick ups for pre-booked excursions.
As it happens, I reckon I got the better end of the deal here. The problem with floor was clearly that it was populated with huge numbers of students, that were incredibly noisy when out and about locally, so I bet they'd have been a nightmare inside the hotel. As mentioned elsewhere, the staff just looked to be students as well. Prefects perhaps.
I hate to give anywhere a terrible rating, especially here as It's better than that really. That said they did have a couldn't care less/not bothered attitude about it all and they've now probably lost my repeat business. It's a shame, but if you can't rely on the hotel you've booked to put you up they shouldn't expect you to return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank paradise_alley
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We retuned from Malta on Monday 8th July 2013 after a week all inclusive at Canifor Hotel. As previous guests stated not a 4 star hotel. Staff were helpful and friendly. Our room clean an serviced daily, but in need of refurbishment. Food plentiful not always hot and lacked flavour could always find something to eat. The sun terrace and loungers were old with dirty cushions. The worst part was the 200 children who were staying there with "Education First" the staff with them were very young and had little authority to control them. They threw water bombs over balconies onto hotel customers enjoying a quite drink. We witnessed them attempting to light an aerosol deodorant can. Shining lasers on to us and generally ignorant behaviour. Would not visit this Hotel again, simple things to improve hotel would be to make sure cutains in rooms were hanging and not hanging off, a water dispenser on sun terrace, new lounger cushions and get rid of Education First students.

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor above reception. appeared to be quieter than on other floors. View from...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The hotel was quite welcoming, and for the most part, quite enjoyable. However, a few things let the Hotel down. Firstly the lack of food variety, it was not really catered for younger ones, and it seemed to always be the smae sort of food, such as beef stew, beef pie, beef dinner etc.Secondly as I went in a group of teenagers from school diving, the staff did not seem to have as much respect for me as they would if I were an adult, for example, I asked for a pillow to be sent to my room, as there was none, and my room mates had not taken any, the receptionist told me that the cleaners have gone home so basically he would not do anything, whereas if I were an adult he would have made sure that I had sufficient bedding, and so for the rest of the week, I slept using a spare blanket as a pillow. The other thing was not really due to the hotels fault, and this was that a group of EF Students completely dominated the hotel. They were noisy, rude, inconsiderate, and very mischevous. They pushed in dinner cues, they pushed in lifts, they came running and knocking on our doors, they even prank called us at one point. And the very last night before my group departed, they set the fire alarm off waking the entire hotel up. I think the Hotel might reconsider letting them back next year. But overall, the staff were quite friendly, and the facillities were adequete, and I enjoyed the hotel quite well, it had a nice pool, and it was not very big it was in a nice location, just off the beach, and only minutes away from the shops, and bus station. The rooms were of good quality, and all the facillities were in good condition. On behalf of my school I would like to thank the Canifor for trying to accomadate us as best they could.

Room Tip: It is more ideal to get a room near the lower floors, as waiting for the lift is quite long, and tra...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Qawra Palace Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Bella Vista Hotel
Bella Vista Hotel
#12 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!