“FOOD LETS IT DOWN BUT GOOD VALUE” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
Alton, United Kingdom
“FOOD LETS IT DOWN BUT GOOD VALUE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed 4th May to 12th May 2013.

I had expected worse than I got to be fair after reading some of the reviews, but when I am paying £25 per head per night all inclusive (hotel only) there has to be a limit to the quality and facilites. So my criticisms are limited to serious issues (potentially damaging to health) that make this a good 3 start hotel in my view, not a 4 star.

Food was plentiful, varied, but lacked taste and did not look appetising. It was mass catering (400 guests) and served in big trays. I did not starve, but felt I had to choose carefully, especialy after a bout of D&V within half an hour of finishing lunch 3 days into my week. I and my table friends were convinced it was the cold pork, as I was the only one to have it and we all had an overlap of everything else.

Someone else was heard throwing up as well!

On 2 occasions the breakfast bacon was not cooked enough, on 1 occasion the pork not cooked at dinner. I decided to stay away from any meat I could not see because of a sauce. Breakfast was not attractive to me although fried eggs were ok. No fresh fruit. Puddings all pastry based.

I could go on a bit here, because I thought a lot was wrong that needed just a bit more attention and that is the fault of the management as I am not talking about spending money, just doing it better. HOWEVER, lots of people ate huge quantities and said they loved it, so it depends on taste and what you are used to at home. I had 2 great evening meals out of 7, 2 ok, 3 nights really had to pick at the food.

The hotel has cockroaches. Heard of someone complaining their room/aparrtment had one and one ran across the dancefloor one night and the barman ran over and crushed it! Thats modern jive for you! Did not see any anywhere else.....

My only other gripe about the hotel that was in their control was the pools and jacuzzi. They had a lot of dirt on the bottom and it was not cleaned for a week and I checked daily from the roof terrace to see what state they were in! I did not risk using them and the outside water was cold anyway, but the inside pool apparently was like a hot tub. Jacuzzi seemed dirty and only 1 of 8 jets worked. Not worth the risk as this water is likely never to be changed.

Nights were very disturbed from late night revellers who can't keep quiet and bang doors and then in early hours people leaving the hotel to go home. So over 8 nights I think I got 3 nights undisturbed sleep to a reasonable hour, but that is the trouble with most holiday hotels and I am not complaining, just warning those of you who don't like to be disturbed. (rent a villa!) I caught up with sleep around the pool!

GOOD POINTS:
I found most staff to be very friendly and have a sense of humour. Worst people ran the restaurant - they did not like it one bit if you turned up just before advertised closing time and I had to insist on eating at 13.45 when closing time was 14.00. Reception was great, bar staff great day and night with the evening barman doing a FANTASTIC singing session on karaoke night. Room clean and comfortable if a little basic and tired. Cleaner did a great job daily. Position of hotel fantastic for seafront, bus station and nightlife. Evening entertainment was keyboard music/singing 6 nights a week - not designed for children or young adults - ballroom style dancing/music and on Fri/Sat nights very popular with locals which added some atmosphere to the place.
Good quality drinks.

In summary, good value all inclusive, don't expect luxury, take problems with a pinch of salt, there are always some problems, I would go again to this hotel

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MikeB107

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

A great 2 week all inclusive holiday. Staff very friendly, Food was good, a great selection of hot & cold meals. no-one need go hungry. Pool area was a bit small but ok for a cool down in the hot weather. A town centre based hotel it was good for all types of transport, the bus station was a 5 minute walk from the hotel. If you didn't want to eat in there was a good choice of restaurants, bars & cafe's. Not a lot for small children to do, but with the handy man made beaches and attractions children can be occupied well.

Room Tip: If you have a disability ask for a ground floor room, if with a large family ask for a multi bedded...
2 Thank sarahgemini59
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Where to start...

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and it was a thouglibetter the devil you know. So prior to my trip I sent an email with a room request. Nothing to hard, but as the end of mystay approaches, still no reply. I was given a twin room, and I asked the young lady in reception for a double bed... not possible, try tomorrow. Finally day 3 I got a room change. Well done her. The hotel is 1970 style and needs to be dragged in to the 21 century with a make over. It is clean, but tired.

Resturant.

I arrived at 1.45, to be greeted by one staff member (skim, black glasses, long sideburns) looking at his watch glaring at me then storming out the back. The head waiter returned to tell me the resturant closed at 1.45 not 2. Needs to check the paperwar given by reception. I left, dont have to put up with staff with attitude problems.

Whilst sitting eating, waiting staff having loud discussions with each other over the customers. Seems there was a staff issue that they were airing. Not acceptable!

Food. Subject to much discussion. It is basic, tasteless fair, and needs a major revamp. The chefs need to taste thier dishes. A home made vegetable soup was served. Frozen vegetables, in flavourless cornflour thickened liquid. This is a chance to showcase local produce, fresh and full of flavour. Make fantastic vibrant food. Have chefs really show off thier talents with pride, not stand behind the bain maries, arms folded, guarding it! Additional cost? Little, increased business?

Coffee... a teaspoon of instant coffee, hotwater and some foam does not make a latte! There is lot of money tobe made from making coffee correctly!

The duty manager Vince needs to be replaced. 3 times now I have heard him having altercations with guests... loud ones. Not acceptable in any form, and is infact abuse.

Staff need to be trained in customer services. YES and a glare is not a welcome. It takes little time and effort to be polite!

4*, well that is highly debateable. According to the hotel the stars are awarded by the Malta Tourist Authority. Im waiting for an answer fm the MTA on how the stars are awarded especially as Malta has agreed to join the Europe method of assessment. Interesting to see there is now sign of the award displayed in any public area.

For me, its about customer service... fails. Food quality... if i was served it in a resturant I would send it back. Price is good, but so should the whole package! Pull your socks up big time. Dont believe me, send in some mystery shoppers, they will soon tell you. Yes, I could do better! Look after the customer and they will look after you well and truely!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Johnc_uk01

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Rosneath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We have just spent a week at half board at the Canifor for from 2nd to 9th May 2013. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews. We had a lovely stay here, with a ice clean airy room on the 3rd floor, and although a bit worried about the noise from the bars on the corner could hear nothing from our room at night. Food was good and plentiful, staff pleasant mostly, but always find the Maltese rather crabbitt looking people. Will go back here without any worries

2 Thank Audrey R
lancashire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

we arrived on saturday we had booked and payed extra for a superior room which included tea making facilities,iron,fridge and other extras on arrival we were given a noisy standard room with no facilities and wagons and cars making a racket all night.in the night we were disturbed by noises as we put on the light we found we had cockroaches.we were moved the next day and were given a nice room at the front but still none of the extras we had payed for,after many visits to reception some of them were put in the room by now it is monday afternoon but we never did get the fridge.the hotel often caters for coaches of locals and they take over the hotel restaurant and the hotel rooms.we stayed 4nts and in that time the restaurant was either closed to us or we had to leave early 3 times.most of us holiday makers had payed ALL INCLUSIVE. the staff were all smartly dressed and helpful most of the time,there was plenty of choice at meal times and the food was good.hard to believe this is a 4star and there were lots of people who didn't get the rooms they had booked.there is no access for disabled but once inside there are lifts to all floors.

Room Tip: in our opinion the rooms at the front of the hotel are the better ones and quieter
2 Thank singlegirllancashire
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went there in 2012 for my Birthday and loved it,The staff where nice and very helpful for me it was a great Birthday.I found rooms and hotel clean tidy and well presented,I found they put entertainment on most or all evenings i was there.I have booked to go back in 2014 for my Birthday again and hope to see a little more of Malta.For me the Canifor Hotel is a really good Hotel at a great price so i highly Recommend it.

Room Tip: I had no trouble with noise but you can always enquire when booking.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank buddy1936
Torbay UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had booked all inclusive at Cardor Apartments, taking all our meals and drinks at Canifor Hotel. Arrived on a Thursday night approx 8.30 to be told they had no room for us and we were going to Coral Hotel ( sister hotel ). After refusing point blank to go to the Coral they "found" us a room within the Canifor for one night, saying our apartment would be ready the next day. In the morning we went to get keys for our apartment and was told we were going into Canifor Court apartments over the road.( these are not very nice ) After refusing this apartment, was told that is all we have. Point blank refused to stay there and was "allowed" to keep hotel room for one more night. Finally on third day of our holiday was given an apartment at Cardor. The manager of Canifor not once apologised for this!!!!
After finally settling into apartment had a reasonable time. Breakfasts would class as good, lunch from snack bar good. Only ate once in the evening at hotel, which again was adequate.
Choice of drinks on all inclusive is limited.
In conclusion, if we had been given our correct room at time of checking in we would have been satisfied, but the managers attitude was very disapointing. By the way, there were plenty of people who didnt get the rooms they booked, seems to be the norm here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank suncrestroofing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Soreda Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#11 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,392 reviews

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!