“Nice hotel in good location”
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I have just come back from staying in the Canifor. When we arrived we were told that our room had a problem so we were taken to another room, in the morning we went for breakfast and shortly afterwards our room was ready. It was quite spacious had a balcony overlooking the pool, air con and ceiling fan. Had tv but no English channels but we didn't mind as didn't watch tv much as went out instead. Breakfast was ok although didn't go down often as not really a breakfast person for dinner they had a food selection of food which was different every day and always fresh. The only compliant I would have is that our room door didn't work and despite telling reception twice it was iy fixed 2 days before leaving hotel to fly back home. All in all a nice hotel in a good area!

1  Thank Aims206

Reviewed August 15, 2011

I had read reviews of this hotel and thought that it couldnt be that bad.....how very very wrong i could have been.... Within the first hour i was down at the reception with a list of problems. Including but not limited to room not clean (rubbish behind sofa, popcorn on floor ) taps broken, light switch broken so you could have put your finger behind it. Shower curtain & shower head broken!! Tv broken and not repaired. Hotel room door frame only attached to wall on one side and so much more.......This is Not a 4 star hotel maybe a 2 star max Maybe!!!!

3  Thank ddpcuk
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Annual family holiday for 2 weeks all inclusive - triple superior room.
Room tired, bathroom mouldy ceiling, tiles cracked. Beds - 1 bed fitted its base, one had a base 1ft smaller than the matress so you rolled out at night and the 3rd was a folding saggy camp bed which had seen better days. Bed linen was a grey washed out colour so I slept on top of the bed. TV had one working english station and it gave up after 10 days. A couple of musty smelling rugs were thoughtfully placed inside the wardrobe which were swiftly relocated to the balcony. We had a fridge and a hairdrier but no tea making facility. Cleaners were in every day to replace towels normally with one fluffy set and two sets of emery boards. Cleaning standard was poor in general.
Hotel restaurant had no traffic plan so you always ran the risk of getting something spilt on you. Very welcoming gentleman on the dining room door however inside a stern lady who had perfected the art of throwing your drinks receipt at you. Also ensure you leave a guard at the table if you have forgotten something as any food or drink is likely to be removed by untrained or poorly trained staff. Food is basic but you will generally find something to keep you going. Bar staff are generally pleasant.
Pool area is very tight and gets limited sun, pool is salt water and cleaning appears to consist of chucking in a few measures of chemicals in at 6.30pm each evening.
The major problem in the hotel is the reception staff who are grumpy on good days and darn right ignorant the rest of the time. My wife cashed some euro cheques at a charge of 1euro each which was fair enough however on the third occasion the senior person on the desk proceeded to give instructions to her on how to fill out the cheque, date, signature, passport number etc, which she duly did in his presence. Once the 2x 50 euro cheques were completed he decided to tell her he had NO MONEY!! and suggested she go to a bank (8.45pm). The hotel has 4 tills and with circa 170 rooms you would expect a float to be carried which could accommodate 100 euros. He then proceeded to joke about it to another resident which my wife found very hurtful. In 26 years of liesure and business travel I have never come across a front of house like it, they have no concept whatever of what customer service means.
Thankfully we met up with other unfortunate inmates who found themselves incarserated in this hotel and we managed to bond together to get us through until the escape taxi arrived, thanks guys.
Not child friendly, not friendly full stop actually,avoid if you can

Room Tip: Booking superior rooms means nothing at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank alan a
Reviewed August 14, 2011

If you are unfortunate to have booked into the canifor hotel, my advice is to commit a crime in the airport and go to a Maltese jail for the duration of your stay.... I'm writing this on day 2 of our holiday so where do I start.
On arrival we were told our room was double booked so we were whisked off to san pawls bay hotel (much nicer) and told we would be collected at 9.30am and to be ready in reception, at 11am our transport arrived so we missed the meeting with the mercury rep. On arriving back at the canifor hotel we were told our room was 'Maybe still not ready' so I asked him to check. Turned out it was.... Ok description of the room... Small, has air con but we can't use it cause it makes so much noise it can be heard in sicilly, the celing fan is wobbling worringly, tv and radio kaput not working, double room booked 2 single beds received.... View from the balcony.... A stunning empty scrub land lot. Bathroom... Toilet needs 3 or 4 pushes to flush, Rusty bath, no power shower ( it's the jiggle with the taps to find the right temp kind) and human (I think) hair hanging from the empty soap dispenser ( I'm hoping to god not but my gf wants to say pubic let's say short and curly')....pool... It's in the basement both outdoor and indoor, outdoor....possible death trap for kids as it has 1 step between .23m and 1.53m there is NO shallow end. For sunbathing it has high Walls all around it and it small so it is a 'shadow' trap. Indoor pool .. Sauna .. Turned off jacuzzi ewwwww..... Restaurant ..... Screw that! ... I'll brave brekki in the morning.... Would I recommend this hotel......I would recommend they knock it... The empty lot looks more inviting!!! ...

3  Thank Kodexx
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My sister and I stayed at the Canifor last year in June and we had a great week.So much so we have booked another week at the end of this month.
Having read all the negative reviews I felt compelled to say something! Everyone we met were friendly and helpful, we had a superior room which was great and what we expected, same goes for the food, we had no problems with any of our meals.
You must try The Canifor for yourself, I was apprehensive the first time I went having read the reviews but for me they were all unfounded.
Enjoy Malta, Enjoy the sun, Enjoy The Canifor!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SueHuntHorley
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Arrived in the morning only to be told there was a problem with our room and we had to spend the first day at the sister hotel the Coral, had no idea at the time that this was a downgrade otherwise I would have kicked up. When we arrived we asked if we could get something to eat but were refused as they said our all inclusive didn't start until 2 and it was 12. So we had to go feed ourselves. The hotel was dreadful the pool was on the roof and had a passing resemblance to a bathtub , and most of the sunbeds were broken , mustn't forget the mobile phone mast up there either. Couldn't shower coz water pressure wouldn't allow it and it took half hour to run a passable bath. Food was arrrgh. This was listed as 3 star I'd give it 1.
Canifor next day. Room can only be described as average, air con barely worked, beds are hard if you have back problems don't stay here, tv ,one channel only while we were there that was CNN, we were supposed to have sky news but it was unwatchable. Bathroom was OK but the toilet seat was grotty on the underside. Clean towels everyday but you live with the same bed linen every day.
Pool and pool area very small, if you don't have sunbeds by 8:30 forget it, some sunbeds broken and pretty much all of them covered in bird crap, and you'll have to clean your own sunbed tables. By the way you'll only get just over 4 hours of sun, it disappears behind the building around 1 o'clock.
Restaurant is like an SAS assault course and I doubt the SAS would have the courage to eat the food. Lunchtime snacks were yuck, I had burger and chips the first day and the chips were cold, in fact we had lunch out every day after that.
There were thefts while we were there and looking at past reviews has been going on for sometime, even the safe in your room isn't a guarantee of security coz the pull them off the wall. From what I was told by one victim he didn't get a lot of sympathy from management.
We spent most evenings in our room forced there by the awful entertainment, Carlos and his keyboards should give you an idea of what it was all about.
4 star my aunt, I'd give it 2 maximum.
I must give a mention though to two great lads, Clifton and Stoyan the hotel doesn't deserve them. The rest of the staff were quite surly and I don't think they like all inclusive clientel.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank FOXY55Wiltshire
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was our second stay and will stay here again.
Rooms fine and spotlessly clean, cleaned every day with fresh towels.
Evening meal was good every night with plenty of choice and food really good, although you have to ask for ice cream!!. Breakfast not so good. DO NOT have the poached eggs. We had cereal and toast every morning as cooked food not so good.
Only two downsides: Cooler, which you pay extra for, does what it says on the tin, it is a cooler and NOT a fridge, fine for water and chocolate but nothing else.
We arrived at 12 noon, looking forward to checking in and starting our hols but can't check in until 2pm. You can put suitcases in luggage room but have to keep money, passports, etc on you.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChesterMitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#6 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!