“Club Salina Wharf”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Club Salina Wharf”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We returned from a month holiday at the above resort today 5th Feb, found staff helpful except the time share representatives who feel they run the resort and will only speak to you if they can drive another deal out of you. A big shock on arrival was to find that Bar on site was closed every evening Sun, Mon ,Tues, and Wednesday every week for the 4 weeks we were there, There was only entertainment two nights of the week on Thursday and Saturday ( same artist ) except the last week when a replacement came for one night, and there was no entertainment on Friday. The restauarant was also limited to opening times when the bar was open and i witnessed some customers wishing for meals shown the exit door, Residents had to fend for themselves during this closure for their meals and entertainment which was still in force when we left. Management claim that they cant afford to provide entertainment for a few people. This is a time share resort with 1.000s of memebrs who pay maintenance fees. !! I have not written a bad report on this resort but felt that others need to know that at a drop of a hat facilities which are advertised are in this case not available to owners or hotel guests. The resort is currently having some improvements carried out which are long overdue . I am returning in May and hope to see a vast improvement but due to the above facts this was the worse holiday experience i have had at this resort and couldnt wait to get back home. This was sold to us as a unique club however is being turned into a hotel , we sampled a night with hotel guests in the room below us and at 0230hrs had to bang on the floor to shut them up as they continued to bang furniture around the floors .My letter of complaint far exceeded what i have written in this entry. Be warned !

Room Tip: Get confirmation about your bookings, do not accept a room if it below standard , rooms overlooking...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Derek M
Elaine L, Guest Relations Manager at Club Salina Wharf, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Many thanks for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Club Salina Wharf. I am also very happy that our team members provided you with helpful service.

I apologise that you were not satisfied with the pub opening times during your stay and am very sorry to hear that the projects of doing the outdoor common areas paving and the outdoor pool are late on schedule. We have no control over the weather conditions.

It is the managements intension to offer quality service standards and a comfortable atmosphere in the resort. I have also discussed the works schedule with the Projects Manager to take necessary action so as to execute our works on time.

The work on the new Lobby Cafe is now completed. The Lobby Bar is open daily from 08:30 hours to 23:00 hours.

I would also like to thank you for the gift presented to our guest services team after making sure that the apartment offered was to your satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to the our Club in the near future.

Aldo Calleja
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Malta 8/11/2012 - 23/11/2012: Salina Wharf, Salina Bay

We arrived at about 12:00 - a bit before the time that the apartment was due to be ready. The reception was spacious bright and smart. We checked in and were told that the apartment would be ready in an hour. We were told welcome to sit in reception or by the pool. This we did and relaxed by the pool and got a coffee from the bar. The coffee was good but only luke warm.

After the hour had expired we went back to reception and received the keys to the apartment and told that the apartment was ready and lacked a television but that would be provided later.

We arrived at the apartment to find that it had a horrible dank fusty smell. We opened window and doors but quickly realise that the dingy look of the place was unacceptable. I went straight to reception. I had to speak to a different receptionist who apologised and said to go back to the apartment and someone from house-keeping team would attend to the problem.
A man with a spray gun soon arrived and began spraying in the bathroom and then the rest of the apartment. This clearly was not going to clear the smell or the dampness. In fact the man agreed with us that this would not work. However by this time we discovered that the bathroom door would not lock, there was black mould on the bathroom ceiling, the shower had no screen, the sofa-bed was dirty and the bedroom bed covers were in need of replacement.
So it was back to reception with my wife. The original receptionist was back at the desk. We explained the situation to asked for a different apartment. The man apologised and asked us to wait while he looked for an available apartments. After a short wait we were offered a alternative apartment, We looked at it. It was larger then the original. It was bright, probably recently decorated and had none of the faults of the first.

We accepted the new accommodation and appreciated that the staff acted quickly but are amazed that housekeeping made such an obvious mistake. It marred that beginning of the holiday and made us quite critical of the place.

With only one exception the staff were friendly and helpful.

The pool area was bright and pleasant and a part from some freshly grown weeds in the boarders well cared for. The pool itself had some paint peeling from the bottom but this could be end of season wear. The indoor pool was very cold as the heating had not been switched on. The outdoor poor was slightly less cold but the sea was very warn.

We had not visited Malta before and would have appreciated a welcome meeting. But this did not appear to be part of the resorts services. There was very little tourist info about although the desk staff were helpful.

The television service was poor: basically just news channels. We didn’t watch it much so did not complain although we should have done so. The Laundry was out of action and neither the Jacuzzi or the sauna were working.

We did not use the on site restaurant until our second week. We were not welcomed. We were asked if we had booked. We had not although there were no instructions to do so. We rather felt that we were a incontinences as there were several other parties in that night . First we were asked to wait in the bar for 20 minutes and then had a very long wait for out meal: getting on for an hour before the starter arrived We had the set meal although one of us did not eat anything that was on the starter menu. It would have been good if she had been offered a fruit juice as an alternative. The other 3 of us had a Greek salad. It was the only thing that was good. The main course was very poor with very soggy vegetables.

The person in charge of the restaurant was certainly not people friendly (although the assistant server was lovely and embarrassed by the others behaviour.) The kitchen appeared to be under staffed which was probably the reason for the long wait.. It was the worst meal of the holiday: in fact probably the worse meal in my memory!

We had a very good holiday. We were able to do several organised trips and the resort is close to beaches with very clear water and good conditions for snorkelling. There are a lot of good restaurants and cafes in easy walking distance. The maximum daily Temperature was 24C during the first week and 21C in the second.

We will go back to Malta but we would think twice about of going back to Salina Wharf in spite of the helpfulness of the staff.

We regret writing a poor report, especially as the staff were so friendly and helpful. However we believe that we have given an honest account.

Terry Watson 28th November 2012

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Silverbonsai
AldoCalleja, Manager at Club Salina Wharf, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
I thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Club Salina Wharf.

I am really proud to hear that our reception team provided you with quality service and that our employees were friendly and honest

I am also very happy to read that you enjoyed our pool facilities.

Certainly guest response is an excellent tool to learn about and make changes where needed.

I have also discussed the issues with the Managers concerned to take the necessary corrective action so as to avoid such incidents in the future. I am also very sorry for the way your comments were handled as the team aims towards to a customer satisfaction experience.

I thank you for your comments.

Best regards,

Aldo Calleja
Operations Manager
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Spent 1 week here in September 2012. We knew it was timeshare and that we would have to attend a sales meeting. OK, when we both signed in we were told we were being allocated a 6 person flat. Flat was excellent, 2 double bedrooms, 1 with ensuite, separate bathroom, large living room/kitchen, extra large balcony with sun most of day. All in, room 1st class. Although we never dined in the hotel, other guests say meals are good. Staff were excellent and very helpful. Pool area and pool were good. Anyone thinking of going on one of these viewing holidays, but unsure, should not be worried. Once you have attended the sales meeting, about 2 hours, you are not bothered any more and all other time is your own. Considering this type of holiday is usually dirt cheap, we paid £57 for the two of us for the week, it’s worth a try. I think you can book direct with the hotel but don’t know prices. The hotel itself is in a back street, just off the beach. I would say we were not too happy with the location but bars , shops buses etc. were close by. Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: If you go on one of these viwing trips, you are allocated a room on arrival. They will not put you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Saltcoatsbill
oxford
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have just read the reviews of other people who have been to Club Salina Wharf, and decided to write my version as theirs are a bit outdated.
My wife and I have just returned after a fortnight of complete relaxation as my wife put her back out on our first day and found it difficult to walk, so we spent most of the time sitting by the pool.
When we arrived we were put into room 203 and as the reviewer says the view was a bit dreadful,
The bins are still there but now covered in and I must admit you should not have to pass bins to get to your apartment, The whole of the ground floor was the service area with the laundry and housekeeping and I assume staff accomodation, but most suprising was the delux suits 101 and 102 which had been refurbished,
We had had a electric storm in the night and I must admit the following morning there was a nasty smell of rotten cabbages, We reported it to reception, and they came and opened a window in the bathroom.
The pool was looking lovely with new loungers and umbrellas the restaurant was not bad and had a good menu but the bar staff were also the waiters as it was the end of season,
The Island sightseeing tours were excellent with a free trip around the grand harbour of Valletta and if you keep your tickets you get 10% of a tour in other countries.All for 15 Euros p/p.
If you have never been to Malta you can buy a roving ticket on Arriva buses so you can hop on and off at will.as there is so much beauty to see.
We were happy and relaxed at the complex and will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David C
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I've just returned from a week stay at the Club Salina Wharf hotel on an exchange break, what a let down that place is, very disappointing.

I was shocked and disappointed at the standard of the resort, which is allegedly a 4 star resort, more like a 2 star if that. I had to request to change rooms, my first was tiny for 4 people, very damp, smelly and tired worn out looking furniture. The second room was not much better, again it was damp, smelly and dirty there was mildew on the ceiling and in some pictures hanging on the wall. We did not have hot water all week even though we complained, there was a leaking pipe behind the fridge which maintenance looked at but never repaired and there was still no hot water.

The indoor pool was freezing,there was no jacuzzi or sauna the outdoor pool was a very sorry and shabby state, reception was not very helpful they were not very uninterested, I only wish I had read all of the reviews before I booked it, but I did not see them. I will certainly not be going there again and I would not recommend the resort to anyone else, the 70 euro service charge I have still to find out what it was for as the maintenance service was virtually non-existent.

Apparently the Club Salina Wharf is being upgraded to a 5 star, I would love to see this miracle, and it would need knocking down and entirely rebuilding to come close to that. I was not at all happy with my holiday. It was in fact a holiday from hell! It was certainly not worth the money I paid, or the exchange that I made. I checked the prices of a few more hotels in Qawra, because I wanted out of there, but I could not afford it so I had to stay.
There is certainly nothing there for children.

There was no free Wi Fi at Club Salina, however any other place I went to, a small cafe on the Beach, bars and restaurants around the island or the boat tour around the Grand harbour of Valletta, (certainly a lovely city) had free Wi Fi. So a lot needs to be done at this resort to avoid further disappointment.

Be warned don't take the photos of this place on face value, it looks good until you get there, I made a costly mistake, don't you do the same.

Room Tip: Don't go there, there are far better hotels in and around Qawra, and Buggiba
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank David M

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Our stay didn't start well from the moment we walked into reception.

The receptionist sat behind his desk, didn't get out of his chair and demonstrated no interest whatsoever in us being there.

We we're given room 204 which was in Black Sea block. Black being the appropriate name as we made our way downstairs around the pool then past the rubbish bins and up another flight. As we entered the apartment we were overcome by an unpleasant smell that seemed to hang around the whole time we were there.

The apartment was quite pleasant internally and had obviously been refurbished. However, the view from the balcony was of a couple of ramshackle buildings and overlooked what could only be described as a builders yard and graveyard for old jacuzzis. We rang reception to request a change of apartment and were told they would look into it and ring us back. After some minutes of hearing nothing, we rang reception again only to be told there was nothing available. Wonderful customer service (not) - example 1.

When getting ready to go out on our first night (Friday), we realised that there was a considerable leak coming from the waste pipe underneath the wash hand basin. We called reception who said they would look at it. When we returned, nothing had been done and waste water was still present on the bathroom floor. Reception were called again and we were told that the problem had been looked at but they didn't want to make it worse and there was no maintenance on site. When asked why the water had been left on the floor, reception said there was nothing to clear it up with! Wonderful customer service (not) - 2

The same thing happened on Saturday night, reception again called with a different member on staff on duty. After a 'discussion' over the reception counter, he agreed that he would look at it and make sure the leak was logged so it could be fixed. We then returned from our night out and to our surprise the water had been cleared up but with the room towels which were taken away but not replaced. We then couldn't get replacement towels as it was the Sunday and there isn't a maid service on that day. Wonderful service (not) - 3

After having to brush our teeth using the kitchen sink (we couldn't risk having to use any more room towels), we mentioned it again on the Monday (to the Friday night receptionist). He had to be reminded what it was about and said he would look into it. However, nothing was done. Wonderful customer service (not) - 4

We mentioned the problem to the maid on one occasion, not least because she was puzzled by why the towels were spread over the bathroom floor. Again, nothing happened. Wonderful service (not) - 5

There being a limit to the number of times you should have to use the kitchen sink, we cut our trip by two days and left after five nights.

The cleanliness of the apartments leaves a lot to be desired, it is a wonder that the air conditioning unit works as it is covered in accumulated fluff and comfort is poor with the beds being nothing but a mattress resting on wooden slats and at least one broken armchair. Maintenance of the communal areas is no better than average, the hard standing is very uneven and the entrance light to Black Sea block was 'on the blink' for the whole time we were there.

A dreadfully designed resort that has a number of staff with no concept of customer service. When you ask to speak to a manager, there is never one on site.

The only example of good customer service we could find we're the bar and restaurant staff. Very helpful.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Was not really looking forward to staying here after seeing some of the reviews. We stayed in Buggiba for a day before making our way on foot to the complex, through what are mainly back streets in high rise heaven. What looked like a trek on the map turned out to be a short walk of about 500 yards from the bus station. The reception is a large airy space with a TV and lounge area overlooking the pool. Our apartment had a (partial) sea view, and the Qawra seafront and buses were just round the corner. The complex is on the other side of the headland from Buggiba - again the seafront was much closer than it looked on the map. We could have caught the bus from here either into Buggiba or to the rest of the island but always chose to walk to the bus station instead which is minutes away, and where there are more choices. Also, as we had no set plans we just got on the first bus available and went to several different places around the island on a whim. Valetta and Mdina are both awe inspiring, Sliema and St Julians, almost merge into one another, and a walk along the promenade there is nice and relaxing as there are lots of "stopping off" places for light refreshments or full meals.

Bugibba also has lots of bars, cafes, and pubs, although the menus are all pretty similar. The only "proper" restaurants are Chinese or Indian the rest are sort of bars or pubs with restaurant menus. Our apartment was much better than expected, and I have no real complaints. It did display some wear and tear, but nothing worthy of criticism, and my wife and I were both happy with it. Check in is late afternoon, but there is a secure baggage storage area for anyone who arrives early. On check in, our cases were put on a trolley and we were shown to our apartment, which rarely happens these days.

Our first time in Malta, but probably the last - it is just too British! We go abroad not only for the sunshine, but to enjoy the difference between the UK and other parts of the world - it just doesn't happen in Malta.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Il Palazzin Hotel
#7 of 12 in Mellieha
Porto Azzurro
Porto Azzurro
#5 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Club Salina Wharf? Share your experiences!