Malta 8/11/2012 - 23/11/2012: Salina Wharf, Salina Bay
We arrived at about 12:00 - a bit before the time that the apartment was due to be ready. The reception was spacious bright and smart. We checked in and were told that the apartment would be ready in an hour. We were told welcome to sit in reception or by the pool. This we did and relaxed by the pool and got a coffee from the bar. The coffee was good but only luke warm.
After the hour had expired we went back to reception and received the keys to the apartment and told that the apartment was ready and lacked a television but that would be provided later.
We arrived at the apartment to find that it had a horrible dank fusty smell. We opened window and doors but quickly realise that the dingy look of the place was unacceptable. I went straight to reception. I had to speak to a different receptionist who apologised and said to go back to the apartment and someone from house-keeping team would attend to the problem.
A man with a spray gun soon arrived and began spraying in the bathroom and then the rest of the apartment. This clearly was not going to clear the smell or the dampness. In fact the man agreed with us that this would not work. However by this time we discovered that the bathroom door would not lock, there was black mould on the bathroom ceiling, the shower had no screen, the sofa-bed was dirty and the bedroom bed covers were in need of replacement.
So it was back to reception with my wife. The original receptionist was back at the desk. We explained the situation to asked for a different apartment. The man apologised and asked us to wait while he looked for an available apartments. After a short wait we were offered a alternative apartment, We looked at it. It was larger then the original. It was bright, probably recently decorated and had none of the faults of the first.
We accepted the new accommodation and appreciated that the staff acted quickly but are amazed that housekeeping made such an obvious mistake. It marred that beginning of the holiday and made us quite critical of the place.
With only one exception the staff were friendly and helpful.
The pool area was bright and pleasant and a part from some freshly grown weeds in the boarders well cared for. The pool itself had some paint peeling from the bottom but this could be end of season wear. The indoor pool was very cold as the heating had not been switched on. The outdoor poor was slightly less cold but the sea was very warn.
We had not visited Malta before and would have appreciated a welcome meeting. But this did not appear to be part of the resorts services. There was very little tourist info about although the desk staff were helpful.
The television service was poor: basically just news channels. We didn’t watch it much so did not complain although we should have done so. The Laundry was out of action and neither the Jacuzzi or the sauna were working.
We did not use the on site restaurant until our second week. We were not welcomed. We were asked if we had booked. We had not although there were no instructions to do so. We rather felt that we were a incontinences as there were several other parties in that night . First we were asked to wait in the bar for 20 minutes and then had a very long wait for out meal: getting on for an hour before the starter arrived We had the set meal although one of us did not eat anything that was on the starter menu. It would have been good if she had been offered a fruit juice as an alternative. The other 3 of us had a Greek salad. It was the only thing that was good. The main course was very poor with very soggy vegetables.
The person in charge of the restaurant was certainly not people friendly (although the assistant server was lovely and embarrassed by the others behaviour.) The kitchen appeared to be under staffed which was probably the reason for the long wait.. It was the worst meal of the holiday: in fact probably the worse meal in my memory!
We had a very good holiday. We were able to do several organised trips and the resort is close to beaches with very clear water and good conditions for snorkelling. There are a lot of good restaurants and cafes in easy walking distance. The maximum daily Temperature was 24C during the first week and 21C in the second.
We will go back to Malta but we would think twice about of going back to Salina Wharf in spite of the helpfulness of the staff.
We regret writing a poor report, especially as the staff were so friendly and helpful. However we believe that we have given an honest account.
Terry Watson 28th November 2012
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where family comfort meets the true splendor of the Mediterranean. Club Salina Wharf offers you a superior vacation, with all the facilities and necessities for a wonderful and relaxed holiday. It combines luxurious accommodation with plenty of amenities whether you are looking for a quiet getaway or a fun-filled vacation. The tranquil resort is located just two minutes walk from the inviting ...blue Mediterranean Qawra Front, a diving school and water sports facilities. The surrounding area known as Bugibba is bustling with a variety of restaurants, nightclubs, bars, a cinema complex, bingo hall, children’s activities, seaside promenade, shops and a casino.In-house facilities ensure you feel completely at home here. Relax by our indoor and outdoor pools, be entertained in our pub, well fed in our restaurant and welcomed by our friendly staff. Everything you require for your stress- free break is right here on your doorstep. General Information: At Club Salina Wharf we realize how much your holiday means to you and have tailored the resort to include the luxuries and facilities that guests appreciate most:• Outdoor swimming pool with adjoining children’s pool• Heated indoor swimming pool with adjoining children’s pool• Jacuzzis- Sauna• Billiard & games room• Internet Cafe• Outdoor competitions (seasonal), - Swimming races, Treasure hunts, Darts, Crafts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Club Salina Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Salina Wharf Hotel Qawra
- Club Salina Wharf Malta/Qawra