“Malta+Porto Azzurro”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Another great trip to Malta and to Porto Azzurro. Reception,cleaning ladies and off course Alexis give a great friendly efficient service as always. Think some of the mourners on here are too clinical or are staying at a different hotel to me. Any problems I had in the last 6years, and there have only been a couple have been sorted straight away.

Room Tip: Bus stop 100metres, bars resturants and ice cream parlour 200metres. Corner shop (slipway stores) 15...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 27, 2014

Just returned from a week at the Porto Azzurro where we stayed in the Panoramic Penthouse. Having read the reviews on here we were not expecting very much at all, but were pleasantly surprised by the Penthouse.

I emailed in advance with a couple of questions and got a quick response. The reception is open 24 hours so our check in at 11.30pm was no problem, although getting 3 of us and 2 suitcases in the coffin-shaped lift was not possible! Unfortunately the room had not been made up for 3 people, but we found lots of spare bedding and sorted it out ourselves.

THE ROOM
The Penthouse is on the 6th floor with an amazing panoramic wraparound balcony with harbour and countryside views, lots of furniture and a barbeque! Couldn't ask for better. The hotel is slightly set back from a very noisy road, but we could hear nothing from the 6th floor, and we had 7 good nights' sleep (apart from the 5am fire alarm ...!).

The apartment has one large bedroom. The bedroom has a large modern ensuite with jacuzzi bath and handheld shower, hairdryer, large flatscreen TV, large wardrobe, and plenty of storage space. Bed very comfortable; linen a bit of a let down. Plenty of spare (but alas grubby) pillows. Plenty of towels but they varied between white and fluffy and grey and threadbare. Two small soaps, shower gels and shampoos provided.

The other room has a double sofa bed (uncomfortable), large TV, DVD player, kitchenette (including toaster, kettle, large fridge, small freezer, microwave, oven, and some utensils (but cooking a complex meal would not have been possible). Disappointed no tea, coffee, milk or washing up liquid provided. There is another separate bathroom with decent shower, and also another large wardrobe with ironing board and iron.

The aircon (very necessary in the Maltese summer) was quite efficient and not too noisy.

So we were very pleased with the room, and we would definitely stay again. I would have found it helpful to find instructions in the room - check out time, how to dial out, list of hotel facilities, time of breakfast, etc. The cleaning was also a bit hit and miss - we arrived Monday, the room was serviced on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

THE REST OF THE HOTEL
As for the rest of the hotel, it is in need of a lot of TLC. The building is old and crumbling, in dire need of decoration. The breakfast was a bit dire (and we had to have several discussions about whether it was included, even though the hotel voucher specified that it was).

The indoor pool is not much bigger than a bath and looked uninviting. The gym looked well stocked (but we didn't use it). The outdoor pool area is pleasant, but lacking in shade and the pool itself didn't look that clean.

The hotel itself is in Xemxija, not St Paul's. There is not much to do in Xemxija, but the hotel is a few yards from a bus stop and the buses are cheap and frequent.

EXCURSIONS
There is a tour desk open every day and the tours are reasonably priced (although we arranged our own).

We went to COMINO (avoid at all costs during the summer unless you can arrive by 10am - little shade and very crowded). We took a boat from Marfa, EUR10 return including a quick trip into the caves on the return journey.

We had a trip to the BLUE GROTTO, which is a nice way to spend a couple of hours. EUR8 for a 20-minute boat trip into the caves, plus a pleasant little cove to swim. NB: Avoid the Kingfisher restaurant at all costs - completely dire.

We also went to VALLETTA which is a nice City with plenty of history and the shopping isn't bad. Suggest getting the bus if you are not a confident driver - the Maltese are not renowned for their safe driving...!

IN CONCLUSION I would stay at this hotel again, but only in the Penthouse. When we checked in we were told "don't expect luxury - this is a three star hotel". It's sad that they feel the need to tell you this; just a few small improvements and the reviews on this site would be so much better. The place has a lot of potential, but it just seems to have been left to rot!

I should also say, if the hotel is reading this, that we did not hear the fire alarm from the apartment's bedroom (and we are light sleepers). Our daughter (who was sleeping in the lounge) heard it and had to wake us. I suggest this is looked at.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank juliaplynn
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Just finishing our second holiday at this hotel, we came the same time last year. The location is absolutely perfect for exploring Malta. We were advised by the staff to get the weekly bus tickets (£6.50 each), we have crammed so much into a week it's been amazing. We live this hotel. We have a lovely studio apartment, with amazing view of the pool and the roman heritage site above (there has been filming going on this week which has been fascinating). We have sat on our lovely balcony and relaxed most evenings.The holiday was amazingly well priced for the school vacation (we have our young grandson here). The staff are mostly the same as were here last year which is good and they are straightforward, friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back here x

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We arrived on a Saturday in August 2014 at 11 pm. The hotelrooom was a nightmare. The toilet was broken the room and the beds dirty and fare away from clean. It is worth to mention, that the bedroom was without any window......Althouhg we had booked for one week we alreday left the on the next morning. Ask yourself if you want to spent money for nothing.

Room Tip: Hotel nicht buchen
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
PortoAzzurro, General Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to write a review regarding your stay at the Porto Azzurro.

I do apologise if we did not meet your expectations, however I have to clarify that even though your bedroom did not have a window, it had a French Balcony, which some people consider even better than a window. I am very sorry that you just left, as had you spoken to our Receptionist, we would have been happy to change your room to one with a window in the bedroom instead.

As for the broken toilet, I apologise for that not coming to the attention of the person who checks the rooms before guest arrival, however as I said above, had you informed the Receptionist, we would have fixed it immediately or even changed your room.

As for your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room, I really doubt that the room was not cleaned well as rooms are checked specifically to ensure that the housekeeping was done well, after the cleaners finish their job. However, I have listed your comment and assure you that I will see to spot-checking some rooms upon arrival myself.

In case you would wish to clarify anything, kindly do not hesitate to contact us on info@portoazzurro.com.mt.

Kind regards,

Carina Gauci

Reviewed August 22, 2014 via mobile

I always check tripadvisor to see what the hotels we stay in will be like. Usually if it's just ok or good I'm happy. So if your thinking of staying here don't! The customer service was awful. We've been asking for some clean towels for 4 days over and over. After 5 days there has been no cleaner and trust me it wasn't clean when we got in the room! Dark, small very very basic room. I wouldn't stay here again worst hotel I've ever stayed at. Anything good to say? The pool area and bar are across the road and are lovely! It must be completely seperate from the hotel because it's so nice. St. Paul's is very small try and stay in bugibba which has tons more going on. Although the buses are cheap if they turn up.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nicola d

Dear Guest,

I do apologise if we did not meet your expectations, however I have to clarify that the room you had was not one of our best rooms, that is why it was very basic. It really depends on the price paid.

As for the Pool Area, it obviously is part of our hotel to the contrary of what you assumed. In fact we emphasize on keeping it as tidy and groomed as possible, as it is one of the main amenities that attract our many return guests.

As for your comments regarding the customer service and the cleanliness of the room, I would really like to understand exactly what disappointed you, as if error was done from any member of my staff, I will take action about it immediately. For future visits, please note that used towels are replaced immediately if taken down to reception.

In case you would wish to clarify the customer service issue, I would appreciate if you could kindly contact us on info@portoazzurro.com.mt.

Kind regards,

Carina Gauci

Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We wanted something cheap and cheerful this year. My lasting impression is that this was a lovely hotel once but it's just a bit run down and lacking in staff to do all the essentials. Xemxija is not a tourist mecca you'd have to go into bugibba or St. Paul's for that. The hotel has good facilities; a gym, indoor and outdoor pools, a bar, restaurant etc. it's just tired and not that well cared for. The food for half board was average same with the breakfasts. The staff were nice and helpful. Malta is one of the friendliest places I've been, everyone speaks English, it's very safe, it's cheaper than uk and mainland Europe and the bus service is cheap and reliable !! This hotel is adequate if u r on a tight budget but if u can afford it go more upmarket. If u do stay here have ice cream at the xemxija pitstop (roadside cafe) it's such good value.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

For its price a good solid hotel with helpful staff and good amenities. Got an oubliette for a room to start off with but we were moved after two days to a more roomier room with a view over the pool. Diving centre - great as well as the hotel car hire and special mention to Raquel the beauty lady ! Nice bar, breakfasts became a little repetitive, but overall we were really pleased Thanks guys

Stayed: August 2014
Pergola Hotel & Spa
Pergola Hotel & Spa
#4 of 12 in Mellieha
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!