“If only there was a minus button”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The hotel is dated, worn out and dirty beyond belief. When I get home which is thankfully this evening I will add a photograph of the sofa bed in my room, I can't decide if it is blue or scummy grey, the sofa arms have an unnatural life of their own which I think is down to the bacteria living on it. I didn't use the pool as I'm not sure if I'm fully up to date with my tetanus and the creatures living in the bottom of it didn't look too inviting anyway. The jacuzzi, if you could call it that, had a 5 inch layer of brown sludge on the bottom and resemble a mosquito nest rather than a jacuzzi. The indoor pool was no better and again had not been cleaned out for quite a while and the ceiling was covered in mould. The 3 person lift is clad from ceiling to floor in cheap warn laminate flooring, that was the first indicator of how poor it was going to be. The stair case hand rail was held together with cable tags and was very dangerous. The staff are rude and unhelpful and after paying 10 euros for the controllers were most affronted when I pointed out they didn't work accusing me of not knowing how to use one.......avoid this 'hotel' at all cost unless you want a substandard holiday with poor amenities and dirt

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Zoe2488
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

We do apologise if we did not meet your expectations. Please note that our outdoor facilities are not in use over the winter period and they are cleaned weekly. In your instance, we had a bad weather this winter that to be honest, the outdoor facilities were not our top priority. On the other hand, our staff respect all the clients and as you can see on other reviews, they all state that the staff is helpful. You posted pictures of the areas that are not in use and items that were vandalised (such as the rails).

I assure all other prospective clients that our outdoor facilities are exceptionally great during the summer period.

In case that you would like to contact me, please do not hesitate to contact me on info@portoazzurro.com.mt

There are newer reviews for Porto Azzurro

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Very nice hotel in quiet area of Malta. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Alexis Meylaq, who gave a lot of information about places to go and how to get there, Maria in the restaurant who looked after me very well, Catherine and Henry who kept me supplied with drink and karaoke in the bar, and Anna onReception. Big thanks to everyone for am great two month stay. Will be back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TonyIsherwood
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Admittedly the balcony was very small, but the room was spacious and clean, with clean towels every day and linen changed during the week. The ten euro deposit for the remote control - not an issue, as it was returned. And we found several english channels including BBC World News.

The food was perfectly acceptable, and we enjoyed the breakfasts specially. Waiter service at dinner is a bit of a bonus and a nice change from serve yourself buffets. We didn't use the indoor pool but it looked fine to me. Interesting views all round, balcony got the sun all day - we were on the fourth floor, so extensive. Room was warm, heating silent.

Prices in the bar were extremely low, specially between 6 and 7 pm, and the Citadella wine is quite a bargain at 7 euros a bottle in the restaurant.

Yes, it's a bit tired, but compared to one of the five star business-type hotels where we stayed last year, the all round experience was more pleasant, not to say much cheaper.

We found all the staff very welcoming, particularly Maria, and the pretty girl on reception with glasses - didn't get her name.

Location I suppose might be a bit of a problem for the less mobile - the little hill is quite steep, but short. Bus service erratic but such good value - we went everywhere by bus. Marsaxlokk is worth a trip. We were on half board, and felt that the whole experience was worth more than we paid.

Room Tip: Fourth or fifth floor facing water. We were in a room, not an apartment.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 502Jean
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Well.....where do we start??
After reading other reviews, things have not changed!
The following items we found irritating

Lift out of action for 4 days out of 7. We were on the 4th floor.
Smell of sewage in our ensuite and the lift/pool area.
Reception cold and not inviting.
Dining room cold and felt like we were in a Canteen!
Bar area which was made to look like a pub had uncomfortable seating with TV offering
football without choice (for those who do not like sport)
Limited stock in the onsite shop (strange opening hours)
Heating not adequate (when turned on was very noisey)
TV in room useless and charged 10 euros for remote control (refundable on return)

Positives

Friendly staff and helpful
Bed linen clean

Room Tip: make sure you get a usable balcony. there are some tiny ones
1  Thank gp_everitt
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to write the review on tripadvisor.com

Thanks for the comments regarding staff and bed linen. Whilst we would like to point out that some of the other comments does not really reflect the truth about the hotel. It could be the case that the hotel is not to your expectations. We provide a much better product and service in relation to the price that one pays for.

In case that you feel like discussing further your issues, please do not hesitate to contact me on 00356 21585171.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The most important point is to remember the level of accommodation is not standard across the Hotel. The 'holiday club' apartments you see on the website are NOT indicative of all the rooms. If you book this independently or through an agent, Easyjet in our case, you will be allocated a very basic room that is still resident in the 80's although beds are clean and towels changed every day. Functional is my best description. It is very tired and the update and improvements referred to by management are not obvious to everyone. As I said in the title the staff both at reception and dining room were exceptional! The indoor pool and jacuzzi are simply gross. The outdoor pool and surroundings are desperately in need of TLC. I have no idea who awarded this a 3* but the criteria has been very loosely applied. The HB dining experience was excellent value for us. The evening set menu offered a very limited selection of salads,then usually a soup and a choice of three main dishes. I have to say that with the exception of one evening the meals were generally of a good standard. My only criticism is that you were hurried through your meal, e.g. we had just sat down with our starter and were asked if we were ready for our main course? Maria you were great but let the guests enjoy their meal at their own pace. Cooked breakfasts were fine although quite often tepid - not good. You only have three local restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and HB is probably not a bad choice, leaves you the option to eat out if you choose. The Hotel rests on a short hill which the less mobile may find awkward. Two minutes takes you to the bus stops and give you access to the whole island. 12 Euro for 7 day Arriva bus ticket allows unlimited travel - fantastic value, my only caution to the buses are they will most likely be packed to the doors during busier times of the year. To summarise I would offer caution to those booking this Hotel through large travel companies as you will be very disappointed with your value for money, budget travellers will have few complaints.

Room Tip: 5th floor bay view.
1  Thank Millid02

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for finding the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

We apologise for not meeting your expectations and you liked our staff at Porto Azzurro which ultimately is the staff who makes one experience.

With regards to the outside pool, we do not operate it during the winter period. I assure you that it looks amazing once the pool area is in operation. Apartments and rooms are being constantly upgraded which are for all clients. There are several apartments that one needs to pay extra for staying in them. We are keeping our works as silent as possible not to disturb other guests.

We look forward to welcome you back and in case that you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me on 00356 21585171.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our first time in Malta and found Porto Azzuro very friendly and quiet. A surprise welcome pack in our apartment (to pay for but could be returned if not needed) with everything necessary for the first day or so. Staff very friendly and helpful, especially Maria at breakfast - always smiling and pleasant. We booked an apartment with breakfast which turned out ideal for us to make an early start fully fueled and have a choice of eating out, take away or home cooking on our return from long days sight seeing.

1  Thank mlynne
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayed here many times with improvements everytime we return. On each visit you are welcomed by the reception staff who will always be glad to help with any issues if you have any.

Alexis Meylaq is on hand in the reception every morning and in ou opinion should have been there in previous years too as she is always polite and has a smile for the guests. A credit to the hotel. Thank you Alexis.

On reception a special mention to Rachel who is always helpful.

The small grocery store has improved a great deal since being taken in-house by the hotel.

The indoor pool is very relaxing and is a good safe environment.

All in all we always look forward to returning and to seeing the changes that are always for the better. Thanks Porto Azzurro

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Relax Inn Hotel
Relax Inn Hotel
#5 of 13 in Bugibba

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!