“we loved it and we will be back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Porto Azzurro

Porto Azzurro
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed July 10, 2011

we booked independly . a holiday with no kids around to worry about. went half board. breakfast good choice (i din't like the milk so i had no cearals/coffee). and three course evening meal which had good choice and looked and tasted lovely. we wish we had booked self catering so we had fridge /kettle.and booked half board when we got there.
staff were all friendly and helpful. what ever time we to the pool we always got a sun bed. if going out bus stop with in hundred metres of hotel. it's in a quite location with not alot to do day/evening. went for ten days but think seven days would of been enough.

3  Thank Pamjohn4ever
Write a ReviewReviews (1,390)

Reviewed July 8, 2011

We spent two weeks at this hotel we had a great holiday, staff were great in the hotel.
the staff at the pool and meal times were very friendly, Brian was a great help we become good friends by the end of the holiday,he would help in anyway he could ,breakfast was buffet help yourself there was always plenty food, portions at tea were great this was served to you at your table. the only problem we had were the buses they took all the old yellow buses off, arriva took over this caused so many problems trying to get a bus this should be sorted by now i would rather , have kept the old buses
i will be going back to this hotel soon

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank kevwylie
Reviewed June 23, 2011

my 3 children and I enjoyed a fabulous holiday made complete by the wonderful staff team at the Porto Azzuro. We enjoyed effiecient and attentive service, with the delightful maltese touch and humour. We enjoyed comfortable accomodation with kitchen, dining table, a balcony overlooking the pool area and palm trees. The maids came to service the room if they could get past my kids piles of clothes and they even made the teddies beds. The food was plentiful and excellent, despite "the diningrooms lack of natural ambience". But we always engaged with the waiter and fellow guests to make the dining experience a pleasant one. The receptionists deserve a special mention as they do a great service. How they manage to keep their cool with so many "dizzy" tourists with all their questions and requests for help. (Hope you got the key back girls). Nice cold beer was on tap at a reasonable price by friendly and attentive staff. The hotel is kept clean throughout from the pool area to the bedroom and is well maintained by "George of the Jungle". We spent time at the pool every day mixing with the guests and enjoying water. On several occassions we ventured out on trips to valetta and the beach. After my experience on the crazy maltese buses (for thrills they beat the best ride that alton towers can offer), you may want to hire a car after perhaps a sightseeing bus tour of the island, that way you could choose your destinations more carefully or take advantage of one of the organised trips (i didn't have the budget for it sadly) I would recommend Valetta the old city and medina the silent city, but remember malta is very hot and very busy so take it easy. This hotel is not 5 star and it does not pretend to be, it does have limitations because of its location and situation. But despite this our experience was a delight from Joyce the singing receptionist, Isobelle the first aid waitress, Rachel the Saint of front of house, Brian the Brave, Catherine give me my daughters back and even and I cant believe this will get past the censors, Steve the timeshare legend and to name but a few!!!!!! The end

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank nedthebelly
Reviewed June 22, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Porto Azzurro. The staff were friendly, rooms were clean and it was perfect for the relaxing holiday we were looking for.

Some people have written the location as a negative but this was something we really liked about the hotel. It was so nice not to be in a busy overcrowded tourist area, such as St Paul's Paul, where we visited one evening and found it impossible to get a non English meal, it's a very Brits abroad area. So we were relieved to staying at Porto Azzurro by the peaceful bay and country side. It is very easy to get a bus anywhere on the island. We did a day out in Valetta, which took about 35mins on the bus. The buses do finish around 8, however if you do want to cone back later taxis aren't very expensive.

However, we quite enjoyed staying local in the evening, there are some very nice restaurants nearby and all different. We especially liked the Greek restaurant 'Zeus' and Porto Sol restaurant, which is
mediteranean and offered something for everyone. Definitely go to the pizza place further down the road. It doesn't look much from the outside but once you go down the stairs you can sut on the terrace right on the bay and watch the sun set (and the pizza is good too!) All the staff if the nearby restaurants are very friendly and welcoming, which always adds to the holiday.

We did B+B boar, the breakfast was nice and you could have as much as you liked. The pool area was great, lots of sun beds, pool side bar and was cleaned daily. I think this hotel caters for everyone, families, couples and groups of friends. Don't be put off by the negative reviews. If you are looking for a busy, noisy and extremely touristy area then don't go to Porto Azzurro. If you are looking for a scenic, relaxing and friendly area then it's the hotel for you, and just a bus ride away from everything else.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank London_to_anywhere
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We have just returned from the Porto Azurro and had a great time The staff on reception were really helpful the Staff in the Mini Market were so hgelpful. Our room was wonderful it was clean yes the mattresses were a bit hard and we knew we would only have maid service once in the week but it was an inexpensive holiday and We think it was value for money.We hired a car so as to see all Malta and yes you do need it staying here and yes a bit limited for restaurants but everywhere we Went was marvellous Everyone we cme across was so friendly and If we rerturn to Malta we would stay here again

Room Tip: Top Floor large balcony and great views
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I read the reports on Trip advisor and thought it could not be THAT bad! I was so wrong! Those who had something good to say about it must have had low standards or got the wrong hotel. The photos of the open drains etc are spot on. Nothing has improved!
The rooms are badly equipped, the lift does not work, the internet access is not there, the room that is for breakfast looks like a film set for a prison canteen! The food is awful, unless of course you like your breakfast swimming in rancid fat, and enjoy taking food after other "inmates" have had their hands all over !
Our neighbours in the next cell had never visited Malta before, and though it was a terrible place, were longing to go home and would never visit Malta again. That is such a shame because the Maltese are great people, and the island fantastic. It just seems that every rude, surly, bad tempered and unhelpful Maltese works in the Portaloo!
We survived two days out of our 14 day sentence and happily checked out and went elsewhere to enjoy the Maltese hospitality. I suggest everyone reading this does the same.
I would NEVER visit this dump again, not even if THEY paid ME!

6  Thank StanNeill
PortoAzzurro, Manager at Porto Azzurro, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am sorry to learn that our hotel and services did not match your expectations. I fully agree that our team should be at your service at any time and rest assure I have discussed this issue within my team to improve our presence.

We appreciate that you brought details about your experience to our attention and immediate action has been taken to improve upon our responses. I would like to mention that later during the year, the hotel will be going through an extensive refurbishment in closed off areas which will be be disturbance to the guests.

I would appreciate the fact that one will not compare to the five star property you have been to before and after leaving Porto Azzurro.

I hope that our actions as explained above can serve as reassurance that we take your feedback fully on board and should you wish to detail your experience any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly on info@portoazzurro.com.mt.

In closing I hope that we will have the opportunity to present an improved experience to you and I look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to Malta.

Charlot Abela

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Me and my boyfriend had stayed in two other hotels (3* and 4*) before arriving at Porto Auzzuro for our last night. (We thought we will check out different areas..but how wrong!) THIS IS NOT A 3* HOTEL...its more like 1*!! When we arrived, the reception/lobby area looks ok, Joyce- a very helpful member of staff was very friendly. But the nightmare comes after we got the key..

Got to our room, there is a mini kitchen (which was really dirty) ,2 single beds (rock hard mattress) and bathroom on the other side. A used sponge was found in the bath tub and it had this weird sea smell.

There is a mini tv in the room, but you need to pay 10euros deposit for the remote (have you ever experience this in a so called HOTEL?!) and the air con in the room did not work. First, we thought it wasnt switched on..but we couldnt locate the switch..so we went down to ask Joyce...but her advise was...just the broom in the bathroom, to reach to the switch next to the air con unit?! Any how, the air con still didn't switch on..they did not offer any other help than 'oh. im sorry..i don't know then.'

The next morning at 8:30, I had a worker knocking on the door to replace some lightbulbs as someone has reported it.. (but we didn't! and nothing was wrong anyways). But we were due to check out the very same day anyways..so why couldnt they wait till we checked out first? as if we need the light in the daytime?!

At 10:30, while we were packing and getting ready to check out..we recevied a very rude phonecall from the reception to make sure we get out by 11. How RUDE!

The hotel is terrible and I felt like I have made the worst decision in my life! Some may say it was cheap and what do expect...but I've stayed at a cheaper 3* hotel and it was actually a 3* and 100* better than this!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

#5 of 13 in Bugibba
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#11 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Porto Azzurro? Share your experiences!