“Cheap and cheerful”
Review of Primera Hotel

Primera Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We wanted a cheap getaway in the early part of the summer and got one when we booked this flights, hotel and transters cost a little over £270 a head. Bed and breakfast, most will find something to eat it's a mixture of continental croissantes etc, with bacon sausage and eggs if itsuits. The temperature was in the 30's so air con is a necessity, (they have it). All round very good value even if the rooms and facilities are a bit dated.

Room Tip: Ask for a side sea view room on the West side of the hotel, less noise from the Irish bar opposite t...
1  Thank Arthur A

Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel seemed ok from the outside, but it ended there,we were given room 309 and it was very poor, the paint was flaking off the ceilings ,the room smelt of damp, and the balcony was so small it would only take 1 chair.We were given room 311, this was a little better ,the room was dusty and
the shower tray was dirty with black mould and unclean.The room had lots of dust and fluff around the edges of the floor,it took 4 days of complaining to get it clean.
breakfast, cereal, baked beans,toast,fried frankfurter sausages, hard boiled eggs, get there early, when the foods gone that's it, One guest asked for scrambled eggs and was told by staff<no more food>

Room Tip: all rooms seem to suffer from noise from outside bars which are still open at 03-00 am.
3  Thank alan h
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

From the outside the hotel looks fine - it's just a stone's throw from the sea with nice bars nearby. The problems start when you get to your room. I was booked in an internal room which was so dingy and bleak I asked reception to switch it. One of the guys on reception was really helpful and couldn't do enough, sadly others weren't. I then got a nice room with a balcony which was great, except on Friday and Saturday nights when the bars in the local square compete with each other as to who can play the loudest music. There was a constant smell of drains in the lift and lobby. I don't expect much from a 3* hotel but this was just about adequate.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed June 16, 2013

After booking saw a lot of bad reviews was really worried but on arriving OK is very basic but it is clean and tidy can be a bit smelly due to sewers I guess but it is slap bang in the middle good start point overall u get what u pay for try to get sea view other side and s not good luckily we booked sea view .was a bit annoyed wen asking can u post this card and was told there is a post box in square .

Room Tip: Ask for sea wide
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed at the start of the season (end April). Despite asking for a sea view on the upper floors we were given a room overlooking the street on the second floor. This hotel is in central Bugibba and the noise levels were unbelievable. Then after a little sleep you will be woken by hotel staff making beds. All the doors bang loudly and the beds are heavy and loud when scraped across the floor. And the staff d this in every room in the coiurse of making the beds. Our 'bed' was two singles pushed together, and one was 2 inches higher than the other! We switched rooms for the second night to an upper floor- much nicer. But the staff still very noisy. We checked out and went to a different town Rabat) which was a good move and actually saved the holiday!

Room Tip: If you have to go budget and you have to stay here insist on floors 4 or 5.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had been to Malta for the Xmas and New year period. The weather in England was terrible on my return. I was browsing through holidays and spotted a very cheap holiday in the Primera. I had booked my own flights but booked a month's stay through 'onthebeach' in an internal room for £320. I had booked 'room only'. I arrived at about 10 30pm. Got my room key, went to my room, dumped my case and went out for a drink. Got in at 1.30 and went straight to bed. It wasn't until I woke up that I realised my problem. I didn't know whether it was day or night. I should have realised that an internal room would not have outside Windows but that is what I booked. I was staying at least a month and realised that this room would not be suitable for this length of time. I got ready and went out for breakfast. There is a restaurant called 'Grannies' just down from the hotel that do a great breakfast for €2.90. On my return to the hotel I met Dominic who was on duty at Reception. I explained to him that I had made a mistake booking this type of accommodation and asked if he could help. I explained I had asked asked my travel agent for a room with a 'walk in shower' (I am 76yrs old and struggle with a bath). He understood the situation and said that as they were fully booked, if I could put up with the room until Sunday he would find me a replacement. He was as good as his word, and on the Sunday I was given a twin room with a balcony and a full size 'walk in shower'. I booked an extra week. I cannot comment too much about the food as I only had breakfast for the last week, however it was perfectly adequate and as I expect for this type of hotel. I can only say that the excellent service I received from Dominic, Josephine, Lynette, and all the staff went a long way to making this a memorable holiday. This is a well appointed hotel that is going to undergo further refurbishment in Jan.2014. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and hope to return in the near future. Thanks again. Joe.

Room Tip: Floors 4 and 5 have been refurbished.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank phensicEngland
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Good things:
+Location was great. Bugibba has good bus connections to whole island. Plenty of restaurants around to choose from. From a budget to luxury.
+ Price. It is definitely the place to stay if you are not very picky and just want to sleep for a good price.
+ Surprisingly spacious room for such a budget hotel. Good bed, clean sheets
+ English breakfast, toasts, corn flakes, juice, salads - everything you need to start a day

On a down side:
-Couldn't get the conditioner to work, but as it was not very hot, did not suffer from it a lot. Honestly - didn't try very hard and didn't ask for help.
-Only instant coffee for breakfast.
-Windows of the room was to a busy street with heavy traffic all day long. Quite loud and therefore could not sleep with windows open.
- Would have been great if at least some toiletries would be available in the room, at least shower gel.
- Hotel does not have free wifi.

Room Tip: Rooms on 4th and 5th floor are less noisy and perhaps the ones to western side also.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
#5 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Hotel Santana
Hotel Santana
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Primera Hotel? Share your experiences!