“primera hotel.”
Review of Primera Hotel

Primera Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed July 2, 2012

the room we had was not very clean,the bed mattress had stains on it plus what looked like a cigarette burn right through, took photo's of this.the double bed had a single sheet on the bottom so it couldnt be tucked in.the balcony door windows were filthy and needed a clean.the bathroom tiles had black where the grouting should be,the toilet was kept clean but smelt,(dont think they have heard of disinfectant)we just felt grubby in this room.also they didnt put the air conditioning on till late in the week and the room was very stuffy.some of the staff were distant , they shouldnt be in this kind of job if they dont want no contact with you.younger one,s were ok.the food , well very poor, we ate out half way through our stay.summing up i would not recommend this hotel,stay away until they get there act together.definately not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bristolgiant

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Found the older receiption staff a little unfriendly but the younger ones made up for this. The room was clean and well maintained and free aircon!! Towels changed everyday by friendly staff. The hotel is very close to the main square and when I visited the football eurocup was being screened and was very noisey and also Malta music week with live bands on until around midnight. So if you like a early night this maybe a problem? I did not eat in the hotel so cannot give feedback on this area. My only complaint to the Hotel management was its swimming pool on the roof. After a day out visiting Valletta I was looking forward to a cool dip in the pool, its not large but would be great to cool off. However, it was green and looked uncared for. If your looking forward to useing a hotel pool on your holiday dont book this hotel but if you want a clean, and central room in St Pauls Bay its great!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a round outside, however the higher up the hotel you go the quieter it gets!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Having just returned from malta a place we love.we are totally devastated by the way we were ,missold this hotel by cooperetive travel.Its ameneties do not come anywhere near the standards they describe, although they do exist in a fashion.I have stayed at this hotel in the past,the last time 7 years ago when it was not fantastic but reasonable.We payed for a superior side seaview for my wife and I and a side seaview for our grandaughter who was with us.they were exactly the same,with the same facilities,and view.The only difference we could find was that our room was a few inches bigger due to the fact the hotel is built wedge shaped.Is this worth the extra I do not think so.The staff were all helpful and pleasant,so no fault there.Now for the major complaint THE FOOD IS ABOMINABLE it defies belief how anyone calling himself a chef can continuously turn out such inedible rubbish unless they are doing it deliberately.We will never go back to this hotel,although we wil be back to malta.Should you find yourself in a similar situation in this area i highly reccomend the Villa Mare restaurant in the square.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank zebon
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had booked for a week to stay at the Primera hotel and I had not read any reviews so my expectations were quite high. We had asked for a sea view room, when we got there the room wasn't a sea view room and had only one tiny little window which didn't allow any light in. The television did not work and the air condition was inadequate. The main fan was broken and the room only had one working side light, the main lights didn't have any bulbs. The bath room was very basic and in need of repair. The toilet door handle fell off and the toilet didn't flush properly. I had complained to the reception staff for 5 days about these problems but they were not fixed nor did they allow us to move rooms. The breakfast was also of a poor standard. However, I can say that the cleaners did a good job and cleaned the room to a decent standard.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room which has a balcony and decent natural light.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jess O
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I have just returned from a week in Malta. Whilst the island is MAGICAL ,beautifull and warm,the experience we had with the hotel was a real deal breaker. We arrived to the hotel late in the evening to hear that the dinning time is over,(one hour earlier that it said online) and no complimentary anything was given to us for missing included dinner. Then we were given a room that was at the level of a good 1 star or a shabier 2 star hotel. We have booked a superior room (and paid extra for it) with fridge and coffee and tea making facilities and all in all different than a normal and in all inferior cheaper double room!!! Please don`t fall for this if you get it on line. When I complained, the receptionist ,that was the most unhelpfull service man I have ever met in my travellings,behaved like Manuel in Fawlty Towers...no I know nothing, we don`t have coffee machines ,we have no other room and in the end offered me a bootle of water for my inconvenience!!!!! Nedless to say by now I was so irated for having paid a superior rate for an ordinary room under a false advertising and no able staff to help me that I declined the offer! I was in no way rude or abusing just unhappy with the situation!
Next morning a much better receptionist had somebody bring a fridge and a kettle with some tea and coffee(that was never replentished all week) in the same room. So we paid a Mercedes but ended up getting a Ford with a Mercedes badge installed on top!!!
As for the included half board the food was not bad if repetitive and of lower quality(powdered eggs, ...) but was attended by a very unfriendly waiter that looked bothered by our presence all the time. Both himself and the receptionist from our first evening completelly ignored us for our stay (somebody should point to them that it is the "hospitality industry" they are employed into!) They made our stay there very unpleasant indeed!
The last on the list is the pool. Yes the beach is few minutes away but if one knows of Malta one would know there are only about a handfull of sandy beaches ,the rest is stony and harder to sunbathe (but very beautifull and picturesc). So if one finds the existence of a hotel pool a must, do not and I repeat DO NOT rely on the pool in this hotel All our stay there, the pool was used by nobody,the water was so dirty we were afraid to even touch it,there was dirt on the bottom of the pool deposited there for ages,it seems. Needless to say it looks rather different on the official site photos,don`t be fooled by it.
All in all the hotel has a great location and would be great if only more care would be taken for the confort of the patrons. As it is, we wouldn`t recomended it and we will never go there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ro_Amon
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I hadn't even considered checking trip advisor until after our stay at this hotel and have to say that now having looked a the reviews some don't quite match my experience. I too am surprised by some of the less good reviews. We came to Malta for a wedding and as such it was a flying visit with a clear purpose. This hotel was recommended on a list of local hotels and to be honest I didn't do much research. I just booked online and turned up. I have stayed in plenty of hotels over the last 25 years and ranging from backpackers hostels to 5 star luxury hotels so think I have some reasonable experience upon which I can base a comparison. This isn't a top of the range luxury hotel that cossets you so much you don't ever leave it; it is a budget hotel that is extremely good value and does what it says on the tin. We booked a cheap room but it had a small balcony, was clean, was well serviced. The staff were excellent, really helpful, very friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had a good time. There are bars outside of this hotel so don't expect silent evenings but this didn't stop us sleeping really well. If you want a budget hotel in a central location with good staff and good service then I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Whilst I gave the room an 'average' rating it was extremely good value for money so shouldn...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Howard D
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have just spent a week at the Primera and was very suprised after reading poor reviews how good it really is. The beds and bathrooms were spotless and linen was changed on a daily basis .The staff were very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was very adequate and plentiful with good service from staff. This hotel is very central for all ammenities and for the price a real bargain .I would certainly stay at the Pimera again and would recommend to others .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
#6 of 15 in Qawra
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Primera Hotel? Share your experiences!