“Malta is worse place I have ever been”
Review of Primera Hotel

Primera Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Only stayed in Malta for 4 days which was 4 days too many. A dreadful scruffy island with no character whatsoever. Is there no paint in Malta because nobody looks after their properties. Filthy looking apartments everywhere. Got a very cheap deal on the primera hotel so can't complain that it was basic. Beds were suprisingly comfortable and clean towels every day so got what we paid for.
Malta !! Never again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank haynes11

Reviewed October 6, 2011

I booked three rooms with balconies, only one room the double had one, the other two single rooms looked like prison cells, very little natural light. The shower over the baths did not have anywhere to place it so you had to shower holding it and seeing as my father was 75 he didnt find it easy, and the air conditioning didnt work at first. After complaints to reception I was handed the phone to talk to the manager who couldn't comphrend that we didn't get what we paid for and were not very happy.. His solution was for the guests to stay in those rooms from Saturday to Tuesday when he would move the into other rooms when they became available. He also couldn't understand that his offer of free breakfasts was not satisfactory, if we wanted breakfast we would have booked it in the first place. In the end we had an evening meal that night in the hotel and we really shouldnt have. He also offered to supply fans which I had to collect from the night porter and carry to the rooms which we on different floors It was only the following morning I found one did not have a plug on it!!. According to the blurb there was supposed to be televisions and telephones in the rooms - wrong but who needs tv anyway and nearly everyone had mobiles. The safe which was in my fathers room was one of those which you program your own comibination - well you would if it was working properly, my father was given the overide key and when I went to check on him I picked the safe up and took it into my room - how secure is that.

My father and my friend were given new rooms on Tuesday, even if we had to move the bags

On the plus side the rooms were tidied every day and fresh towel supplied, although the rooms are a bit dated and having to use a hairdryer who plug is in the wardrobe was a bit bizarre.

We stayed in Bugibba last year in a hotel just 1 minutes walk from Primera, The Relax Hotel, again on a budget and was really impressed with what we had but there was no where really suitable for just sitting and having a beer. We passed the Primera every day and liked the area outside the hotel for sitting which is why we picked this hotel over the Relax - big mistake and will not do it again.

We love Malta and will be coming back next year but not too this hotel

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Soozie645
Reviewed September 21, 2011

My girlfriend and i were on a budget so we went for the Primera. We spent many an hour trying to find a hotel in Malta that was cheap and had good review's. We learnt very quickly no matter where you look you'll get bad review's, you'll never keep everyone happy.

The mistake we made, and the reason why I'd only give the hotel a 2, was to book a room but no balcony, as you can see in my pictures the view isn't what you'd call picturesque, I wouldn't even call it a view.. had a nice view of an elderly man washing himself one morning while suffering from a hangover, not nice! It also had no TV but I had a good book and it actually felt good not having a TV for the week. At least we had A/C and it worked perfectly. If you want a quality room avoid getting a room ending in 15.

The room was reasonably clean but could do with a make over. The shower head holder was broken so showering(which is essential) was difficult. The bed was made and room was clean and fresh towels available every day. Noise wise you hear nothing except people running up and down the hall as you are nowhere near the street.

The breakfast should've been better, I am not fussy when it comes to food but it seemed they put the food out at 7.30 and jus left it there, we aren't early risers and would get up close to when breakfast finishes, we got there and the food was stale and luke warm, no clean glasses or cups for oj or tea. But fear not, 2 mins down the road you get a great breakfast for €3.50.

The main problem I had was the woman at reception during the day, not once did she smile to us, when we asked about directions, asked about upgrading our room etc. Very unprofessional.

On the flip side the night porter was amazing, couldnt be more helpful, he was a credit to the hotel.

Honestly I started this review giving the hotel a 4 but i can't as the extra two is thanks to Bugibba and Malta. You are literally on Bay Sq, the main area for pubs/restaurants and the beach. There is a lovely restaurant across the road from the hotel called sans souci, a pub called O'reilly's and if you walk out of the hotel turn down the road to the left and there is a little shop (A-Z self service) down there that always has cold drinks unlike the one beside the Avis car hire shop.

Other things I would reccomend would be to head to Rabat and Mdina, once you have finished visiting there take the 201 bus which takes a back way to the Airport but it gives you a mini tour of Malta, it takes you pass the likes of Dinghli cliffs and the blue Grotto, we were heading to Birzenbuggia and were pleasently surprised to go this way..

If you are planning on using the buses I would reccomend getting a 7 day pass for €12. It was well worth it as we used the bus a lot.

Also if you're going to Tarxian to see the temple make sure you give enough time if on foot, it took us 45 mins to find it as the road signs were useless and we ended up 3 mins late and the doors closed to it.

All in all the hotel was the worst part of the holiday but not so bad that our holiday was ruined. Malta is such a beautiful country that the Hotel was only a minor problem.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room not ending in 15 (115,215,315 etc)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dd-jackdaniels
Reviewed August 26, 2011

. . .you may be better off spending a couple of extra quid and going elsewhere. The hotel is well decorated in public areas but I found the solo room very poor. The balcony which I had booked was not present but that didn't worry me. The TV wiring was not suitable having two power chords wrapped together with insulation tape. Air Con was good but did leak if turned off, no problem though. Room modernisation is needed for some rooms.

The inclusive breakfast is of buffet style typical but if your out late be prepared to be up at 7.30 to eat it. The restaurant hours are extremely limited with 2 hour slots for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The staff in general were pleasant enough. Wifi is available but only downstairs or outside in the courtyard at the front and is free. Computers are also available but are powered by CyberCafe (hence cost).

A shallow (1 meter) pool is on the rooftop that is very small, and needs cleaning but it is clean enough to use, but the green algae is a put off. Deck chairs are also on the rooftop but beware I was caught by surprise and got sunburnt a swollen feet along with other issued in a very short space of time and was bed bound for 5 days(pain), Malta is exceptionally hot and up on the rooftop it feels deceivingly cool with a shallow breeze but don't be fooled.

Satellite TV with 5 channels is provided (all free such as BBC News 24).

If you feel you may be stuck inside your room for sometime avoid, however the budget conscious who are always on the out anyway will feel right at home. Avoid August, Malta is better suited Apr/May and Sept/Oct maybe?

Room Tip: If Solo, Go with a double room with Balcony
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Having read all the reviews for this hotel, i was DREADING this holiday, worrying what I'd got us in to but what a FANTASTIC time we had. OK so the rooms were a bit basic, but if you want 5* luxury, pay for it!! The staff were brilliant with us and the location was magical!! The pool,on the roof is a bit on the small side but the sea is on the doorstep so not really an issue. I am so annoyed that i let a bunch of moaners ruin the build up to our holiday and we would go again tomorrow if we could :)) The balconies are tiny, but when you have so much to do and see, why waste time sitting on them! The food in all the cafe/bars was delicious and the Maltese people were so lovely. It did get a bit noisy in the nights, but nothing a set of ear plugs didn't solve. All in all, a fabulous place and I can understand why the staff are miserable if people are complaining so much. In fact , the staff at Bristol airport left a hell of a lot more to be desired than ANYWHERE else we've been, Totally disgusting. Primera, we look forward to visiting next year :))

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank baxter125
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Great Value Hotel, good food , clean, friendly staff , comfy beds, only downside is the pool,its very shallow and very small, but its a good sun trap and a nice quiet place to relax. sea 2 mins away. Lots of good bars nearby would consider a return visit.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank beansbacontoast
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Nice location and staff. Loved our stay, friendly staff and nice hotel. I would strongly suggest it for a good 3star hotel. Lacks certain comforts of 5 or 4 star hotels but great value for money and good food if your having dinner! Will be back to sunny malta and stay at Primera!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
#6 of 15 in Qawra
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Primera Hotel? Share your experiences!