“Malta's best kept secret”

La Buona Trattoria Del Nonno
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Buona Trattoria del Nonno represents the culinary experiences and sentiments of the owner, Ben Muscat Snr.Having set up several successful restaurants in the past, several which have become household names, such as The Whisper Nightclub & Farmhouse, Ta' Marija Restaurant, the Palazzo Pescatore complex and McBenny's Restaurant, he decided to come out of retirement in 2012 to develop his desire to present to his esteemed clients his perception of a genuine Trattoria, based upon his extensive experience.The cuisine is based on slow oven baking in our Wood Oven serving both mouth-watering Pizzas and slow baked items like Lara's Spare Ribs, Lamb Racks and Baby Chickens. Clients may make arrangements with the management for parties for Suckling Pig, Fresh local Lamb and even Fenkatas.We are proud to serve our own home-made Pasta al Uovo in different variations and with various sauces. We can also plan unforgettable Lunch and Dinner Parties, Barbecues, Pizza and/or Pasta Parties with as many varieties as you may wish as well as help you in celebrating any special occasion. You will also be pleased to know that you may order our freshly made pastas for you to cook at home. We will be delighted to give our clients ideas as to how to prepare it.You will certainly find that our "peice de resistance" is our fantastic Zuppa di Cozze with fresh Mussels being delivered on a daily basis.Our Bar & Wine List compliments our delightful Menu. Clients may choose to dine inside the Trattoria or outside, in the gardens.Our facilities include a room for private dining, baby nappy changing facilities, toilets for people with special needs and most important of all, a private parking area at the Palazzo Pescatore grounds, which is offered free of charge.We are, of course, associated with the famous Ta'Marija Restaurant in Mosta. We highly recommend clients to visit our sister restaurant, especially if you wish to savour the best Maltese cuisine.We thank you most heartedly for giving us the possibility of hosting you, your family and your friends.
Reviewed July 27, 2014

By far my favourite place in Malta - the quality of food is second to none and the ambiance and hosts are just exceptional. I think this is a MUST do whilst in Malta if you are a true lover of Mediterranean food. The menu is extensive and seems to hit out at all palates, couple that with a very good selection of wines and this makes it my favourite place. Every time we go the place seems to be expanding its business and my son just loves it. Just a tip on a particular menu item....if you are a meat lover then go for the Lara's Special ribs - full rack ;) if not a meat lover there is also a selection of daily fish.....cannot rant more about this place - you just have to try for yourselves. Highly recommended

There are newer reviews for La Buona Trattoria Del Nonno

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Spent a very pleasant evening in this gem of a restaurant in St Paul's Bay. Lovely outside seating in a brand new BBQ area where you can select your cut of meat, including Angus T Bones and fillets, quail, rabbit and various cuts of pork. However, on recommendation from our friends, I selected the rack of ribs which were quite simply the best rack I have ever eaten! Cooked to order and to perfection in the wood ovens and in a sauce with a lovely blend of flavours including Maltese honey. Beware: a full rack is huge! These were accompanied by Sicilan style vegetables (potatoes, peppers etc cooked in olive oil). This section of the restaurant also offers a superb anti pasto selection, We had Bruschetta and olive stuffed pizza cut in to bite sized portions. Stunning! Home made Sicilian desserts were offered, but sadly no space! The atmosphere is first class, the staff are mainly Sicilian and very professional, and the owner, Benny Muscat, a great patron spending time at our table ensuring everything was to our satisfaction, which is was. Cost for 5 of us including wine, a mere 117 euro! Great value for money - you must visit this gem of a restaurant!

1  Thank 430AndrewM
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We've been given a table next to a refrigerator where everyone come's by to select the meat. I've asked to be change table and they accommodated us. The backyard is clearly unfinished and does not create a nice atmosphere unlike the front yard ...

Both tables where extremely wobbly and I was provided with a cracked glass ... other restaurants check these for you and though I understand these things happen the way the stuff handled the situation was mediocre.

The worst part was the fact that got my pizza 30 minutes later than my girlfriend's chicken breast which made the situation uneasy.

On this particular night all the tables where complaining for delays in food and wrong orders. The stuff just seemed lost ... it seems to me that they increased the seating capacity recently without making sure the kitchen is able to handle the volume.

Small details such as requesting salt and pepper (which I believe each and every table should have to start with) and being given oil and vinegar instead makes me wonder if they're drunk or spaced out.

Will not visit again, this year for sure till they sort them selves out.

1  Thank Kristjan F
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

Just finished my pizza - and it was great!!! I expected as much as I was watching the pizzaiolo prepare my pizza right in front of me.

The dough and ingredients were all fresh and it took no more than a few minutes to cook in the wood oven.....

Definitely will be back again for the full dining experience as their outdoor seating looked quite inviting....

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went there for a friends' birthday. The service was very good, waiters very friendly!
Food was super!