“Good but not great.”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Good but not great.”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location. Very close to the sea, shops, bus station, square etc .
I found the staff at reception quite friendly but not very knowledgeable of the surroundings areas. They didn't know the best places to go or what current local events were taking place.
Also the most frustrating part was the jacuzzi. We were so excited About using it during or stay but we never did because it didn't work. We continually went back to reception without any success. We gave up asking.
On the roof of the hotel is a beautiful sun lounge and outdoor pool. The views are spectacular and on a hot summers day it is the place to hang out for a few hours. Warning: the pool isn't heated.. Good luck. :)
Breakfast is quite good. There is a mixture of English & continental feat cold meats, pastries/cakes, teas & cereal.
All in all we would stay here again. It is a nice place and good location and I'm just being picky. :))

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank charma_007
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Charma 007,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our friendly staff and about our breakfast.
With regards to the whirlpool in the indoor pool, I could find no record of any malfunction. When such incidents are reported, our duty technician immediately resets the switch and the whirlpool would again function normally.
I note with pleasure that you would stay again at our hotel and hope that you will soon have the opportunity to return to Malta and to our hotel in the near future. In that case do let me know so that we would help you in any way you need with your reservation.

Hotel Santana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Floriana, Malta
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Planed a night out with our local band club we went to santana hotel for a bbq.I must say the roof top had a stunning view but we were disappointed with the food .for antipasto we had only four choices some of it canned food.the pasta from the shavers was cold and the main course was a disaster being sent twice to my table because returning the third time iasked for meat and was given undercooked meat which it was only seared and frozen cold inside.you ruined our party and ypu need to do something very quickly .it was the most disgusting food I every had and will never ever come back tou your hotel one thing was good fabio the italian waite very profesional in what he is doing

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank carmen s
Dear reviewer,
I would like to start off by thanking you for the time taken to write your review.
With regards to your evening, I would like to apologize if we did not meet your expectations. As I am sure you can confirm, a series of unfortunate events lead to this result.
As I am sure you also know, we are currently in discussions with the person who organized the event in order to immediately resolve the issues raised.
I would like to assure you and the other people reading this review that we organize numerous events at Hotel Santana every year and all of our guests leave our hotel satisfied with the service offered. Unfortunately in this case, we did not manage to meet and exceed your expectations.
Thank you for mentioning the views from our roof top. It is a very popular place for both locals and hotel guests since the views from up there are, as you said, stunning.
Whilst I apologize once again for this unfortunate incident, I do hope that you will give us another opportunity and will see you back at our Hotel.

Kind regards
Dean Mangion
Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I visited the Santana 4th June and found the hotel to be of the very high standard it always has been. The pool area was immaculate and water crystal clear, there could however be more sun beds, an issue that I believe will be addressed. Breakfast was good value and on occasion there were shortages of cutlery but the staff supplied them quickly when requested.
I have visited the Santana possibly three or more times a year over the past few years and the service ha s always been very good and with a smile. The hotel cannot be responsible for third party transfers as one of your other reviewers claims.
I look forward to my next visit beginning of July

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking car park. Good restaurant Central Perk right next door for drinks
1 Thank stephen601107
Dear Stephen 601107,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience of Hotel Santana with other reviewers and for your most favourable comments. As you say, we do our utmost to offer high standards of service and good value to our guests.
With regards to the amount of sunbeds by the pool and on the terraces, I am pleased to inform you that the issue is being currently addressed.
We are happy to note that you are a regular guest to our hotel and that you will soon return to Malta and to the Santana. Do let us know if we can be of any assistance with your booking.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Just returned from a two week holiday at the Santana hotel. Hotel is in a great location very near the bus station and a short walk to all the popular bars and restaurants. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis, the breakfasts are marvellous with a huge range available of good quality food. We were allocated a room overlooking the front of the hotel but found it too small for a two week stay so requested a superior room. Could not fault the larger room as it had a fridge kettle and enormous television with a large balcony overlooking the car park. The pool area on the roof is beautiful with lots of sun beds available. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and the room gets cleaned every day with fresh towels if needed. Not a luxurious hotel but well cared for and looked after.

Room Tip: Request a room over looking the front of the hotel
2 Thank pablo1827
Dear Pablo 1827,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments, particularly about the good food, the beautiful pool area and our friendly staff. Indeed, our staff do their utmost to ensure that the hotel and our guests are well cared for.

I hope that you will soon find the opportunity to return to Malta and to our hotel and assure you of our availability to help you with any future booking.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked the Santana Hotel through Easyjet, and after the booking I went to tripadvisor to see the reviews, I know, I should have done the other way round as it turned out that the reviews were terrible and we were travelling with an 18 month old baby. However, to my surprise, all the bad reviews that I read were untrue, the hotel is very centrally located, waking distance for the promenade and restaurants etc, also it is very clean, the toilet worked perfectly well, and not leaks from the shower, the room was cleaned everyday, both swimming pools (indoor and outdoor) were lovely with crystal clear water, and the food at the restaurant (we were on a half board basis) was very good and plenty to choose from. Also the staff was very friendly, they provided at every meal a high chair for our baby, and heated the baby's food in their kitchen. The only thing I missed was not having a kettle in the room for teas and coffee, but in overall, We were very pleased, we had a lovely stay and I will definitely go back to the Santana Hotel and recommended it. We stayed from 8th to 13th June 2014.

Room Tip: Ask the staff to provide a kettle and tea and coffee for your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria287
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Maria 287.

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor, for your favourable comments and for sharing your experience of the Santana with other reviewers.
I am happy to note that you will return to Malta and to our hotel in future. Do please write to us once you plan your dates of travel so that we may be able to assist you with your booking.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just got home from a week at the santana, also first time to malta.
The room was lovely, only down side was the lovely walk in shower always flooded the bathroom floor. All rooms have a balcony but not very good views, breakfast was nice, everything you'd wish for. Rooms cleaned every day and clean towels when you want.
Lovely rooftop pool, but downside is the fact that a lot of people go up before 9am and put there towels down then don't return to them for hours wish is not fair for others.
Would certainly return to malta

Room Tip: Room 147 is ideal away from the noise
2 Thank victor51_11
Dear Victor 51_11,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor, for your favourable comments and for recommending our hotel.

I am happy to note that you will be returning to Malta and hope that you will soon return to Hotel Santana. Do write to us so that we would be able to assist you with your booking.

Sales and Marketing manager
Kent
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 10 days early June on B&B basis. Location couldn't be better. All the other reviews on here state perfectly clear the main issues at this hotel. Nowhere near enough crockery at breakfast, nor glasses. All staff very friendly. Nowhere near enough sunbeds either, you don't stand a chance of getting one! The hotel definitely need more. My room was the best I've ever had abroad, ground floor, absolutely huge and a balcony which had the sun all day long. If I never had a balcony in the sun, my stay would have been competently ruined as we couldn't get a place by the pool ever!! Cleaners very good. Never used a safe and didn't have any issues. Wifi is 5 hours for €3 and 10 hours for €5. However, Central Perk Cafe (next door) has unlimited free wifi. This hotel could be outstanding if the managers were to read these reviews and take action on people's complaints. It has everything to make it a true 4*, as it's not a 4* in my view. Taxi from airport to Santana Hotel is €25. I would return, but would seriously hope to find that the hotel management is listening to their guests, some guests return year after year and there are timeshare apartments here too. They do evening meal deals here too, if you are staying on B&B basis. Food is great, not many kids here at all. Quite funny to sit and watch other guests stuff food into their bags at breakfast, rolls, eggs, fruit, cake! All to save them spending €2 on a toasted sandwich! What an embarrassment!! Only the English guests were doing this.....you set a great example for us all ey!! Hope this honest review helps

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fiona808
Dear Fiona 808,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor and for your comments.
I am happy to inform you that the issues regarding crockery and glasses at breakfast has been addressed and that the issue of more sunbeds is also being addressed.
Concerning the Wi-Fi, it is the norm that most 4-star hotels in Malta do charge for Wi-Fi. Still, we are also discussing this matter in the management team in view of improving our services.
I am pleased to note that you intend coming back to the Santana. Do please contact us so that we would be able to assist you with your booking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!