“wonderful hotel and staff”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Limerick Ireland
“wonderful hotel and staff”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I have recently had a great holiday in Malta. As we all know it is very important to have good accomadation while abroad so I would have no hesitation in recommending the Santana. It is great value for money, a buffet breakfast that is hard to beat and genuinely nice staff.
Make sure you get a room that has been refurbished, the higher up the better.[ 5 floors] Malta can be very hot so use the indoor pool to cool down. Also leave your balcony door closed while air con is on and ask staff to set to your liking.
The Santana is very central to all amenities including the Bugibba local bus station where you can get buses to take you all over the island. Yet it is quiet at night.

Room Tip: My top tip for Malta would be to use the local buses. 12 euro for a weekly pass and the buses bring...
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tony M
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Tony M.,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor, for your favourable comments and for recommending Hotel Santana. I am pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be able to welcoming you back to Malta and our hotel soon. Do let us know if we can help you with your next booking.

Hotel Santana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Just spent 2 wk in buggibba and returned to the santana in my last review i mentioned the creaky worn out sunbeds they have been replaced by the comfiest sunbeds and there is a shaded canopy area to that wasnt there before there has been an upgrade throughout the hotels the lifts the carpets etc it looks fab will defo b booking for next yr

1 Thank Helen54_12
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Helen 54_12,

I am pleased to note that you returned again to our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for your most favourable comments regarding our product and services.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and our hotel in the near future and remain at your service for any assistance you may require.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been staying at the Santana Hotel since 1999 & can't fault it,the location & friendliness of the staff make it a great base to explore the beautiful island, would totally recommend

Lisa Durling x

2 Thank BeamerLovesToTravel
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Ms. Durling,

Thank you for your repeat custom to our hotel and for sharing your experience and favourable comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.
Do let us know if you need assitance with future bookings to our hotel. We woudl gladly assist you.

In the meantime
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We booked this hotel following the decent reviews on trip adviser. On arrival Saturday evening, we arrived at the same time as 2 other couples. As we were all English we had to wait for everyone to complete the registration documents so the man on reception would tell us the details all together to save him explaining things 3 times! We booked separately, not a group booking so should be treated as individual passengers, so what if he had to explain more than once!
We were given room 514 slightly bigger than a cupboard facing the rubbish area. A big stain on the carpet ! We immediately returned to reception to request an upgrade for which we would pay extra. We were shown a superior room, but we opted for a suite, which the man on reception said would not be ready until the next morning, there was not one for us to see, so we went back to reception the next morning. After a stifling night in 514 with air conditioning that blew out warm air, we were advised that the suite had been ready the night before!
We paid an extra 120euro, the room was spacious and faced the front aspect. There were tea and coffee facilities, but no tea or coffee supplied. The bedding was threadbare and at times a grey colour, the towels were threadbare and the room was grubby. The bathroom was particularly shabby and not cleaned properly in the week we stayed there. I had to ask reception to request housekeeping vacuumed the carpet around the bed, it was covered in 'bits'. They did the next day, but there was not much evidence that it was done again.
Breakfast was adequate.
The bar staff were great, very helpful, the restaurant staff were hard working and friendly, the reception staff were unhelpful.
Finally we asked if we could pay for a room on our departure day as we weren't leaving until 6.25pm. We were refused an answer until our day of departure, which was no good to us. We checked out and weren't asked if we had enjoyed our stay.
We went to the Park Lane hotel down the street, they gave us a room for 20euros, it was a different world. Helpful staff, lovely room, tea and coffee, complimentary bottle of water and CLEAN.
I will return to Qwara, I will stay at the Park Lane Hotel, not the Santana!

Room Tip: Book a suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GWS796
Dear GWS796,

I was sad to note that while staying with us recently you found cause to be disappointed. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced while with us.
I will be sharing your review with the management team so as to ensure improvement in the areas you mentioned.
In the meantime I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to stay with us. In that case please write to me personally so that I can take personal care of your booking.

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We have been returning to this hotel for around 10 years and visiting about 3 or 4 times a year, the booking we made this time was through a different website. The type of room we normally book wasn't an option through this company. I had a few problems on arrival as stated in my previous review and was so disappointed with the original response that I posted a review on tripadvisor straight away. The manager Mr Joe Grech had seen my review and contacted me wishing to resolve my issues. He was very helpful and wanted to ensure we were happy for the rest of our stay, he made arrangements for us to be moved to the usual type of room we book. I have to say that it is worth paying the small extra fee for the superior rooms as they are more up to date and clean. Special thanks to Mr Grech who went out of his way to help he recognised us and knew us from our previous visits. We will definitely be returning & it was nice to be made to feel like your custom was important to the manager and that he put himself out to put things right for us.

1 Thank Dirtyroamer
Dear Dirty Roamer,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments. I am pleased to note that in the end you enjoyed your stay with us and that my colleague, Siofiane Ben Hassine, took personal care of your requirements in order to ensure that the rest of your stay with us would be a pleasant one.

In the meantime I hope that you will soon return to Malta and our hotel and would ask you to contact us when you plan to retuirn so that we would take care of your booking.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was my first visit to Malta and wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleasantly surprised. If you like oldy worldy you'll love it hear as it's steaped in history. We stayed at the 4* Santana Hotel on an all inclusive basis, but I have to say there all inclusive isn't like any I've stayed on before, We didn't know until we got there that you only got Breakfast, lunch and dinner with no snacks in between or any other time. You couldn't get a drink until 11am even if you wanted tea or coffee and the all inclusive drinks finished at 11pm at night even though the bar stayed open until about 1am unless they decided to shut early but of course you had to pay then. I have never been anywhere you didn't get snacks unless you paid for them. Also on the last day of your holidays no matter what time you were leaving you had to be out your room for 11am but even worse than that your all inclusive was stopped at 2pm so when you weren't leaving until later that day you had to pay for everything you wanted. If this is there version of all inclusive they won't be getting many returning customers!!! We met another family in the hotel who had stayed several times before and they couldn't believe the difference this year as when they had been there previously the all inclusive drinks in particular had been 24hours. So they alone said they would be looking for different accommodation as we would also unless they change things. The hotel itself was still a bit tired looking in the rooms especially even though it said they had been updating it. It said there was tea and coffee facilities in the rooms but we didn't get any and we were told that was only in the upgrade rooms though they didn't state that on there web site. I must say one thing about the hotel I really did like and that was the staff the cleaners couldn't do enough for you even though they were kept short of towels!! also the staff in the bar- Tracey,Sarah,Shirley,Julie and not forgetting lovely Craig were all really friendly and very helpful, they were a credit to the hotel. The staff in the restaurant were very good aswell though I can't remember all there names. This could be a really great hotel if they get things put right but until then they are going to lose customers rather than get them. I would love to go back there but not while things are the way they are at the moment. If you want all inclusive I suggest you try somewhere else, if you want full board or less you'll really enjoy the food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front otherwise you get a view of the rubbish at the back
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear happyfacenow,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to note that you were disappointed with our All Inclusive package, especially since we always highlight the contents of such package with operators selling our hotel.
I have noted also that you would love to return to Malta. Should you wish to book Hotel Santana do write to us so that we would be able to advise you better.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week in hotel on B&B basis via Travelzoo. I wouldn't rate it 4 star though; It's more 2-3. The room 410 is at back of hotel and doesn't have a nice view but at least it's more quiet than the front. Room is bit dated, although new bathroom. Think the indoor and outdoor pool and buffet breakfast saved the stay and location wise perfect (next to bus station take no12 to St Julian's and Silema, no 223 to Golden Bay beach).
My only remark was the 2nd last day of my visit at the breakfast buffet, they had a water leak on the floor, they knew about this as they had towel down. I had a plate in my hand and slipped and cut my hand and bruised my legs. The staff was quick to react to pick me up but I had to approach them to get me first aid kit and I had to tell them what to do as I myself am a first aider. Think they should invest in some of their staff on 1st aid course. Also if there is a wet floor, please put a hazard sign up next time. It could have been an elderly or a pregnant lady!!

Dear Travelling_Syl,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor. I will be sharing your comments with our Management Team in view of improving our product.

In the meantime
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#5 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!