“Been before and would go again”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Been before and would go again”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I love Malta and for me you cannot beat this Hotel for price and location.
I have been to Hotel Santana now 5 times, and loved it here every time !
The bathrooms have been upgraded - which is wonderful....
The pool now has a shaded area - which is a welcome relief from the hot hot hot days.
Breakfast is always in plentiful supply and the staff courteous as always.
AC and fan in rooms - which gives you the best of both worlds.....

Room Tip: Most rooms have balcony - but to be fair no spectaular views, but good for watching the world go by...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Jo W
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Jo W.,

I am so pleased to read that this was your fifth visit to our hotel and that our product and services again met your expectations. Thank you for reviewing or hotel on TripAdvisor, for sharing your experience and for yourfavourable comments.

We look forward to your sixth visit to our hotel and are at your disposal to assist you with any future booking.

In the meantime we remain
yours sincerley
Hotel Santana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a good hotel in an ideal location, one minute from the bus station and 5 mins from the seafront and the centre of Buggiba. The rooms are clean and the staff are friendly. The food is good quality but could be so much better with just a little more effort. It is cooked too far in advance meaning that items come out of the kitchen cold because they have been stood too long. On several occasions at breakfast fried eggs and tomatoes were delivered to the bain-maries cold, yuk. There was always a wide choice at both breakfast and evening dinner but time between cooking and consumption does affect the taste. I suppose its one of the problems of mass catering. Smaller batches topped up more regularly might help.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank billandann100
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear billandann 100,

Many thanks for reviewing our hotel and for your positive comments. I will be discussing your review in detail with our management team, especially with our executive chef, in view of improving our product and services.

In the meantime, should you be returning to Malta and our hotel, do let me know if you need assistance with your booking.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked in on 1/7 till 11/7. Upgraded to a suite. Hotel was nice and clean friendly staff. Had a few problems our aircon unit started to drip water through ceiling so at midnight my wife and baby was moved to another room as manager Robert was concerned about safety for our baby. We was put in room 539 top floor corner room which was terribly hot and aircon was useless no way as good as our room. Baby couldn't sleep that night as it was too hot an we ended up sittin on balcony till 6am
When baby finally went asleep we got woke up at 745 am because jacuzzi was leaking and they need to fix it. Next day was put bk in to our original room was told all fixed however the very next night leak again all they done was put a tray above ceiling to stop drippin on to our floor was told they would fix again. Which they did they put a bigger tray this time above ceiling which caused a larger leak and caused me to slip over and hurt my self thankfully I wasn't holding my baby. When I reported the problem again at 1am as the leak seemed to happen in middle of night I was offered another room when I asked reception for some one to help me move cot I was told no one was around to help me so I should just stay in room which I was concerned about as our ceiling was very wet so another sleepiness night as I was worried if anything happened through the night I need to be able to react quickly to problem for my baby The next day maintenance was bk and to be fair to them they really worked on sorting out our problem and even come bk a few times to ensure we was ok. So out of 10 nights we had 3 sleepless nights when I spoke to joe another manager as compensation we could have our last 2 nights with free evening meals which I found a insult as we paid €76 per night and had 3 sleepiness nights but I really didn't have much energy to have a moan up and I felt that was a joke but we didn't go down for a free meals as juggling dinner times with baby was too hard and they obviously didn't take that In to consideration. However the air con leak was not there fault but they could have repaired the problem from my first complaint rather than bodge it over. cleaners also was very slow at 3pm our room was just started to be cleaned and that was not nice after going out for day to come bk to a room
That had not been cleaned. However the hotel was nice and it hasn't put me off returning there as it is a nice hotel nice views from rooftop pool and Robert manager was very helpful he did do his best for us. All in all was a good holiday jus a shame we had a few sleep less nights there

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ttttttony
Dear Tony,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to note that you encountered difficulties while staying with us and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience you experienced.
In your e-mail you mentioned that you will return to Malta and the hotel. I would be very happy to assist you with your bookings and take personal care of it. Please do contact me when you plan to re-visit.

In the meantime

Co.Antrim
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from this lovely hotel, B&B basis was good for us,friendly and helpful staff, food fresh at breakfast. Locale was unusual depending on which street you used to get to the beach.
We were close to the bus terminal and used the buses regularly...we took the hop on hop off to see Valletta and the Temples of Hagar Qim...do not miss.
We missed oppurtunity to visit Medina and if returned would do so.
Our favorite seafront eating place was Oblicio in Buggiba and Rafeals in San Giljan.

Room Tip: make use of the day pass for buses to see the Island 2.60 euro for the day.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Clann7
Dear Clann 7,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you found the staff friendly and helpful. In the meantime your review will be discussedwithin the management time so as to help inprove our product and services.
I do hope that you will return to Malta and to Hotel Santana. Do let us know if we can be of assistance with your booking.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We (two friends in their mid-twenties) booked a week long stay at the Santana in early July as part of a bed and breakfast package. The hotel attracts mostly older couples, with the odd family with young kids and is in a definitively 'expat' area of town - think English pubs, restaurants serving roast dinners and cheap pints. We knew this before staying and booked the hotel as a base for exploring the island, which was comparatively quiet compared to where the 'younger crowd' might traditionally go, such as St. Julian's and Valetta and as it had a rooftop pool. The hotel is clean and tidy, and the lobby well presented. Our room was fine - again clean and tidy, however the 'balcony' was not a balcony at all, being in line with the raised roof from the first floor, and a dome from below completely obscuring any sunlight or views to the street below. We weren't too bothered about this as we didn't intend to spend too much time in the hotel, so didnt mention it to staff, but be aware that not all of their balconies have any view/sunlight at all! Apart from one housemaid and two or three of the reception staff, the staff were reasonably efficient, but far from friendly in most cases. Slightly irritating was the hotel policy of only issuing one swipe card per room - difficult when I wanted to go food shopping and my friend wanted to stay by the pool.

The breakfast was passable, but slightly vexing, as with a little effort it could actually be quite good. The breakfast obviously tries to cater for absolutely everyone, with a selection of hot food (including cheese quiche?!), cereals, ham, cheese, bread, cakes (?!) and also tinned fruit and yoghurt. The boiled eggs had been boiled to within an inch of their life and were decidedly grey, the sausages were a bit like saveloys and I think probably came out of a can. Bit of a shame there was only the occasional apple as fresh fruit, as we were in the Mediterranean with watermelons, oranges, peaches etc being sold on pretty much every street corner for just a few cents. The fruit juice came out of machines and was fruit 'squash' not juice. The coffee out of the machines was dire. All in all, you get what you pay for - which honestly for the breakfast for me, was not a lot as we got a good deal - but it could be so much better with very little effort.

The rooftop pool was clean in the pool - but people often left their rubbish around it - and no staff were ever present to give the area a quick once-over. The pool bar only offered very limited hours serving food (till 4pm) and closed completely at 6pm, which was a shame as the sun terrace and pool were nice areas to be in, especially in the evening when it was a bit cooler and views over the sea were lovely. Overall the stay was average, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Request one with an actual balcony not on the 1st floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rkenyavic
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Rkenyavic,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. I have noted your comments and will be sharing these with my colleagues on the management team in view of improving our product and services.

Your sincerely
Highland
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just back from a few days stay at this hotel and I can honestly say the Hotel made the holiday. I had searched around trip advisor for hotels and this one did well although some didn't like it- a minority. The room we had was clean and well laid out with a beautiful en suite-this was a standard economy room and had a balcony which did not really have a view but for the money we were not too bothered and I know if we had asked they would have moved us--for what we needed it was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the bar staff went out of their way to help and the restaurant staff were efficient, friendly and put alot of hotels in the UK to shame at 4 star. The pool on the roof was lovely with a food bar there and different levels to lounge on. The pool on the lower floor was perfect for a quick swim after a hot day and before eating. A sauna and gym and beauty therapist just added to the place. Tours of Malta leave from outside the front door which was amazing negating any need to hire a car. Plenty of eating places locally if you don't fancy the excellent choice at the hotel and great deals which they do. Thanks for a very special holiday, way beyond our expectations-will recommend you. This is not their other hotel the sunflower btw just in case of any confusion.

Room Tip: Front facing higher up gets better views. Back looks over waste ground but still gets sun, quieter...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kisilv02
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Kisilv 02,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to note that our hotel made your holiday, that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff helpful and friendly. We are always striving to deliver a product and services that meet the expectations of our clients, ensuringt hat their stay with us is truly enjoyable.
Again, many thanks for your favourable comments on Hotel Santana. We hope that you will visit Malta and our hotel in the near future and remain at your service should you need any assistance with your booking.

Marsalforn, Malta
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Two Words here say it s all." Perfect Hotel " Wen i be back on Malta (live on Gozo) i stay in this Hotel. Clen nice staff nice rooms nice breakfeast (one of the best i ever eat.I recomemend this hotel to all my friends in Sweden.(and eaven my friends on Gozo. (70 yaers old Swedisch Milljonare !!!?? )

Room Tip: Verry god place to stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Jens H
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Jens H.,

I note with pleasure that you are a very satified repeat client of our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and for your favourable comments about our hotel.
It is our commitment tht we seek to always offer a good product and good service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malta and to Hotel Santana in the near future. Do contact me in case you need any assistance withyour booking.

Sales and Marketing manager
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!