“Good budget hotel for short trips”
Review of Hotel Santana

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Paderborn, Germany
“Good budget hotel for short trips”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

At around 30 E per room plus around 3E per breakfast is quite a deal.
Room is basic with old but decent furniture, a fan in the ceiling, and AC (if it works). A balcony was also available. Also a basic TV and small fridge.
The shower suffers from lack of water pressure (especially the cold water) and from a proper drainage. Nothing was done even after complaining to the reception.
Hotel has a pool on the top floor in full sun (and wind) but this is not for children as there are only some small rails separating them from death by falling from that top floor.
Breakfast is tuned for British visitors which are the most common there from what I have seen. But what would you expect for this price? Considering that it is pretty good.
The reception charges you 1.25 E per day for renting the key to the room safe deposit box :) Yes that is right!
There is a bar near the reception with standard prices but be careful at the rest that you get as for example the British lady there stole 5 E from me by claiming that I only handed her 5 E and not 10 E when giving me the change. I did not want to start a riot but that was my last drink in this hotel.
WiFi Internet is available also for a small price of about 3E per 5h of usage.

Room Tip: Have some cash with you as the Credit Card refused to work in their machines. Right next door to th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Badrian23
SunrouteSantana, Director of Sales at Hotel Santana, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Badrian 23,

Thank you for posting your comments concerning your recent visit to Hotel Santana on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to note that you found our hotel to be good value for money.
In the meantime rest assured that your comments wil be discussed with the Management Team so that we ensure that your feedback results in a better product.

Yours sincerely

Hotel Santana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Santana Hotel, Qawra, Malta

It’s difficult to know where to start. We have stayed there before on half board but not for several years. We returned on B&B, requesting rooms, 201, 301, or 401. In the event we were allocated room 101, which had been partly refurbished. The bathroom had a new toilet and wash basin fitted, but the toilet cistern ran continuously. The bath had been removed and replaced with a shower, however this was tiny, and the glass screen was not marked to indicate glass. Personally I like a bath at the end of the day, but this is personal choice. The bathroom door opened outward into the bedroom and one or other of us nearly got hit with it on more than one occasion. There was nowhere to keep personal toilet bags in the bathroom, these stayed in the bedroom. The hotel asked for washing not to be on balcony lines, a reasonable enough request if there had still been pull-out tines in the bathroom, but there wasn't in our room.
The bedroom had an old blue carpet with a separate rug, when we lifted the rug there were stains of some sort underneath. They had however fitted individually controlled air conditioning which seemed adequate although the weather wasn’t particularly hot at the time. The balcony which jutted out over reception was tiny, there were concrete troughs which appeared at one time to have contained cactii and other plants, these were all dead and dried up. One afternoon we left the room to find furniture from other rooms littering the corridor, though this was replaced by evening. The room had a flat screen tv, however the only English speaking programmes were Sky news and another news channel but this gets very monotonous after a while. While we were in the room one employee came and stuck the tv to the unit with sticky tape. The maid service was poor, the room wasn’t cleaned thoroughly probably because each employee had too many rooms to clean. Very often we were left without clean towels till late afternoon.
The reception area is old and tatty with little atmosphere and not very welcoming. On one occasion two youths appeared to be practising basketball in the reception area, throwing a ball to try and hit specific glass blocks that form part of the reception desk/screen. Breakfast was help yourself buffet with quite a selection to appeal to different tastes, but the cooked food such as bacon was kept warm and not too appetizing. The dining room staff were in the main very pleasant and hard working, although odd ones appeared to think they were doing you a favour. The outdoor pool was too cold for swimming due to the cold weather, this was a shame because it is a nice pool. When we went in the downstairs pool instead, there were rowdy people in there diving etc. this is supposed to be a quiet relaxing area, but the staff allowed it to continue so we gave up.
Many of the reception staff from previous years had left, and the new staff did not speak much, partly due to the electronic door opening where your key is like a credit card and you take it out with you. However the night duty manager was extremely pleasant and gave us every assistance to check-in online after we had encountered a lot of difficulty. He and the receptionist phoned Air Malta and resolved the problem which was causing us a deal of worry, and we are grateful to him for that. We were told by other guests that the evening meals were very good but since we didn’t dine in the hotel at night we can’t really comment.
All in all not a very pleasant experience and one we will not repeat.

Room Tip: The larger rooms with kitchen areas are ok, but cost more.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ticker_11
Dear Ticker _11,

Thank you for taking the time to express your experience on TripAdvisor. I regret to note that on this occasion our hotel did not meet your expectations. In the meantime I have discussed your comments with the Management Team in order to better our product and services.

I also note that you have previously visited our hotel before. I do hope that you will return. In that case please do contact me so that I may take personal care of your booking.

Yours sincerely

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My partner, Baz, spent 6 weeks at the Hotel to recouperate mostly during April 2013.
He met Eszter, who is a wellness specialist (beautician, massage etc) at the Hotel. She is wonderful! She exercised lymphatic massages on a weekly basis and gave good sound advice regarding health matters.
If you happen to be in Malta, then go and make an appointment. If only for relaxation purposes.
Baz is now feeling much much better and full of energy.
The Staff at the hotel are very friendly, the food is good (although after 6 weeks anything can become a little 'same').

Room Tip: There are rooms on the sunny side or shady side. You may request which you prefer.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank Veronica B
Dear Veronica B.,

Thank you for kindly placing your favourable comments on Tripadvisor concerning your recent 6-week experience at Hotel Santana. We hope that by now Baz is fully recovered and that we would be able to welcoming you back in Malta and at our hotel in the near future.

We are glad that you found out staff friendly and the food good. Your comments concenerning Eszter's services in the wellness centre are very much appreciated.

Yours sincerly

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hi all
myself and two girl friends had a wonderful 9 nights at the Hotel Santander in Malta
no complaints what so ever, Room was perfect for our stay a superior room with a balcony to the front of the hotel over looking the street. we went b& b and were sorry not to avail of full board
we got a reduced rate on the dinner which I have to say was fantastic everynight, breakfast was amazing everything you could think of Porrige, Musli, Grenola,Corn Flake, Bran flakes, Yogurt , Fruit
Cooked breakfast Eggs Bacon Sausage, Beans , Tomatoes. every sort of bread ,juices, teas coffees, Dinner a Roast of Lamb/Chicken/Turkey etc different night s of course and everything to accompany it followed by a great selecton of desserts and cheese.Slection amazing . Wellness pool was delightful after sitting out on the sun terrace. The staff could not do enough for us, thanks to Shiley and Donna in the bar who were so pleasent every evening and the waiting staff in the resturant ,from reception staff to cleaning staff they were such nice people
a very happy stay from us. The bus station was a half a min walk and 2.60 for the all the bus ticket was such good value to see the Island. Its a quiet area but lots of pubs and resturants in and around the hotel, not a lot of entertainment for the young crowd. need to head to Paceville for night clubs, but for us it was a total chill out and totally relaxing if thats what your need. if you want madness i would head for St Juliens/Selima area, Nice beach in Mehlia about 30 mins on the bus we didnt get to Golden bay but was recommened to us . so Hotel Santana was really great and can recommend to anyone needing a rest. Wine and Drinks reasonably priced too.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms with bed and breakfast great value , nice balcony could watch all the activity in the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank jackso44
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were a group of three staying in one room for nine days. We booked bed and breakfast and I have to say it was superb. There was so much choice, we had expected maybe continental but got offered a full range from cerials to fully cooked also lots of cheeses etc. we were delighted to get up each morning to enjoy same . Then on the second night we decided to try the restaurant and I have to say there we went every night thereafter. The selection and value was second to none the staff were the most friendly I have experienced the reception area very efficient helpful and pleasant . The information on all tours was extremely informative and we found our stay to be most relaxing and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room to the front of the hotel and it was lovely to etch to world go by
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary R
hampshire_UK
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I reviewed this hotel last year and gave it a fairly average rating as there were some shortcomings, but they have done some refurbishment (about half the hotel with the rest being done next winter) and improved some services, so I have reviewed it again.

Rooms: Rooms have new electronic access systems so no more giant keyrings. About half the rooms have new bathrooms with walk in showers instead of baths. The showers are good size but are open ended and the water does tend to splash outside the shower. Plenty of hot water and good pressure. The room I had this time was still fairly small, but larger than last time - perfectly adequate. Mattresses were new, but quite hard - a matter of personal preference. Mattress toppers would be useful to soften them a bit (and make the mattress last longer). All rooms have new 29" flat screen TVs, but channels are limited and there is no pay TV at present. The airconditioning has been upgraded and has new electronic controls - unfortunately it was turned off as it was only May and temperatures were not high enough to warrant switching it on.

Restaurant: Always got a table within minutes this visit. Menus have been revised and overall the food quality has improved. This is the only hotel in Malta that offers such a wide selection for breakfast - included porridge (I don't like it but I was told it was first class) and back bacon ( a real rarity in Malta) as well as 5/6 cereals, sausages, 2/3 types of egg, beans, tomatoes, rolls, toast, juices, yogurt, ham, cheeses and preserves. Evening meals offered soups, 2/3 pasta dishes, salads, 3 meats, fish, 2 potatoes, rice and vegetables with cakes, ice cream,fruit or cheese to finish. Drink orders were taken and delivered fairly quickly. There seem to be more staff so table were cleared efficiently.

Bar: Still just the coffee shop, but service was friendly and efficient. Still lacks the atmosphere of a proper bar. Entertainment as in most holiday hotels was mediocre.

Reception: First class - efficient and friendly staff. My transfer failed to arrive on my last day and the handling agency was not answering their emergency line, but the receptionist on duty resolved the problem by contacting the transport company directly. Not his job but typical of the way they go the extra mile.

I am now elevating this hotel to a four rating because of the improvements made and after comparing it to a visit to the Dolmen (supposedly the No. 1 hotel in St Pauls Bay )earlier in the year. The Santana wins hand down - it might not have the location of the Dolmen but is, overall a better hotel.

Room Tip: Front rooms get more sun.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
18 Thank TM001
West Midlands
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stayed for a week in May. It was a late deal and Bugibba wouldn't have been my first choice, but it looked a good offer. Started badly, as my booking hadn't gone through to the hotel, so they had to call Head Office to verify it. Didn't take long though, so not too bad. Room fairly basic, in need of some new carpeting and furniture, but I've seen worse. Looked out on the back of the hotel, so waste ground, but then so do many hotels in other countries too. Bathroom ok, towels a bit thin. However, the room did have a faint smell of cigarette smoke, which other reviewers have mentioned. Problems started that night, when I turned turned out the lights. The light above the mirror kept flashing. I put up with it a bit, hoping it would stop, but it didn't, so i tried to phone reception. The phone didn't work and I eventually traced the connecting lead to the back of the bedside cabinet, put it in, but it still didn't work. I got dressed again and went to reception, they promised to send the Duty Manager up. I asked about the phone and it was disconnected down there, so they remedied that too with many apologies. The Duty Manager came up fairly quickly, said she thought it was just a bad connection and would get it seen to in the morning and advised me not to 'concentrate' on it that night. I wasn't amused, been up since 3am and now 12.15pm and was very tired! I took out the keycard and thankfully it stopped after a while. It took a couple of days and a bit of nagging, but eventually it was fixed, unfortunately only lasted a short while. In the end I gave up and just removed the keycard overnight. My biggest gripe was towels. I went out one morning, but decided to change and go into Valetta. By the time I got back to the hotel the maid had removed the towels even though I had not left them on the floor. I asked for some fresh ones and she didn't have any, told me they would be there later, so I ended up using my beach towel! She was quite sharp in this exchange.
On the plus side, the food was excellent, a wide choice for both breakfast and dinner, and good quality besides being well cooked. Porridge delicious! Breakfast lasted me through to dinner - doesn't happen often! There was always soup, salad, choices of meats and fish, and scrumptious desserts (from one who doesn't normally have a sweet tooth), besides ice cream, fruits, cheese and biscuits. Breakfasts were cold meats etc. or cooked, with a choice of cereals, fruits, breads, juices etc. The restaurant staff were very obliging, and helpful, and I found them friendly without being over-familiar. After one or two meetings, they would always speak, even outside the hotel.
Reception staff were equally polite and pleasant. You can hire tea/coffee making facilities at very reasonable rates, as like most hotels in Malta, a courtesy tray isn't provided (perhaps something hotels should be doing these days?). Surprisingly it looked as though you also had to pay for the use of the safe.
Always plenty of sunbeds in different areas, so probably never gets too crowded. Pool great, and there's an indoor pool which looked very attractive. Also a spa, didn't use it so can't comment, but offered a variety of treatments at reasonable prices.
A good location, close to the bus terminus and the sea front.
Would I stay again? Possibly if I couldn't go to Sliema. Its food and location would pull me back there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel if you like a sunny balcony and view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Hotel Santana? Share your experiences!