“Basic accommodation, but you get what you pay for.”
Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Bristol UK
“Basic accommodation, but you get what you pay for.”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stayed here on half board 21/4 - 28/4 and arrived after midnight checking in easily and found the gentleman in reception polite and friendly. Another couple arrived at the same time and they used the lift, but it broke down when we went to use it and it remained out of order all the next day. In fact it broke down again and was out of order again for the last 3 days of our stay, so it was not working most of the time for us.

Our room, 2042, smelt a bit odd when we first arrived and was obviously a smoking room as there was an ashtray on the dressing table. There were a couple of power sockets by the bed but only 1 worked, and there were 2 wall lights over the beds but the bulb had gone in one. The ceiling fan looked grubby and had wires exposed but it did work. The bathroom had some toothpaste splashes on the wall by the sink when we arrived, and it was still there when we left so I can't say that the cleaning was very thorough, but loo rolls were replenished when ever needed, and as somebody else mentioned the shower curtain didn't quite reach the bath, and the shower head squirted water out from the side when you turned the pressure up. The batteries kept falling out of the TV remote as the cover was broken and held in place with black insulation tape that came off.

There were extra blankets and pillows if you needed them and we slept fairly well. We awoke to our first morning to music being played around the pool from about 7.00 ish. Nobody was out there at that time so it would be better they left it until after 8.00 before starting.

The food was pretty good and plentiful, and we always found the restaurant staff helpful and efficient. Breakfasts included sliced white/brown bread, crispy baked bread, cereals, toast, jams and marmalade,eggs, bacon, sausages, fried tomatoes, baked beans. Fruit juices, tea and coffee all there to help yourself to.

Dinner was also quite good and examples included tuna steaks, turkey, meat pie, pork ribs, poached fish, chicken, lasagne, soup etc.And there were salads available too, one night a large bowl of local Octopus appeared which was delicious. There was always a choice of several desserts to help yourself to and you could also have cheese and biscuits. Some peoples greed was embarrassing.

The bar was fine and the staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was some sort of entertainment every night. It was a bit loud though and could be heard from our room 2 floors up until about 11 ish.

We often found that the drains smelt pretty terrible and there was nothing we could do stop it. It didn't make any difference if we put the plugs in the sink or bath it still reeked at times.

The location of the hotel was pretty good as we could get to the sea front easily from there or catch a bus from nearby.

You can get a weekly bus pass for 6 euros, or a day pass for 1.50 which takes you on any Malta bus (but not Gozo as this is a different bus company).

If you want to go to Valletta by bus it's very easy. Exit the hotel and turn right and go the end of the road where it joins the main road, cross over to the other side and wait for the number 12 to Buggiba. When you get on ask for an all day ticket (1.50 each) and stay on the bus. It goes down by the harbour then along the sea front and into the bus station at Buggiba, where it immediately re-starts it's journey onwards to Valletta so you don't have to get off at all. The journey goes on out through Qawra, and on to Pembroke, St Juliens, Sliema and then to Valetta bus station. Follow the crowd in to the main area of Vallatta, and when you come back you catch the same bus from bay 1. The set down and pick up areas in the Valletta bus station are in in different places, so as you come back out from Valletta through the main entrance, you need to turn left and head about 150 yards in that direction, but just follow the flow of people and you'll find it.

The buses are sometimes crowded and people don't seem to form an orderly queue like we usually do, so in the bus station stick together, and if you miss one don't worry they come along fairly regularly.

The miracle church at Mosta Rotunda, where the German WWII bomb smashed through the dome and landed amongst the congregation without exploding, is worth a visit and you can catch the 41/42 from the stops on the main road after turning right from the hotel (as above).
Just check the timetables on the stop to make sure you are on correct side of the road as I can't remember which side we caught it from now.

If we stayed here again I would definitely want to upgrade to a better room, but couldn't complain this time as it was a last minute booking and was very inexpensive. If you want 5 star service and facilities you should book and pay for 5 star.

Overall it was good value for money but could do with a little more attention to detail in some areas, even though it's not 5 star, such as a proper clean in the bathroom and some bleach or air freshener for the toilet please.

Room Tip: Probably best not to have a room in the area above the bar, or go higher up than 2nd floor if you c...
4 Thank Battlax
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday. I look forward to meeting you again in the future. Your points have also been noted as well.

Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dorset
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Went to san pawl for a week 21-28 April. arrived and first impressions were good. I asked for a room with easy access as I am 6 months pregnant. got put on the other end of the hotel on the 3rd floor and a lift that didn’t work half the time so that was fun. The reception staff are appalling to say the least. I have visited many places all over the world and this has to be the worst of all. They speak to you like rubbish even when your kind and polite...so very sad. I complained about the bed. The response was (hands in the air) what do you want from us??? Gave me a key to look at a room to see if any better. I walked in and the people hadn’t even left the room their things were everywhere!! a major security breech if you ask me i was so shocked. We locked the key in our room day 5 and they didn’t even ask my name just let me into the room!! Again..security..that could have been anyone and all my stuff could have gone. Just disgusted. Food was good. I was never hungry found lots to eat but went out a lot as well as the food in Malta is lovely and cheap to you will be spoilt for choice at the resort restaurants. Never had a bad meal if im honest. Pool was ok there is however a yellow slime/grime growing on the inside of it so I never went in. The drains in the morning are so smelly comes up through the basin so keep the plug down. I had to steal toilet roll from the toilet in the lobby as they didn’t replenish everyday and when asked for some...oh my hard work and again just attitude attitude. Max the manager - I asked to speak to him on 2 occasions but he was never around - so max don’t bother responding now you are no help to me and the damage has been done. My advice to you is employ staff who smile and remember their manners when they wake up...everyday!! The staff would make this hotel somewhat better if they were polite. In general I found the people in Malta mostly very rude. Not the Malta people but the visitors and the workers who come from other countries. Would I go back?? No I don’t think I would. There is plenty more to see. Beautiful place, food and cake scrumptious but that’s about it.
Good luck but don’t stay here. I hear the Topaz is lovely and well worth a visit. The manager there actually gives a dam about his guests.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
6 Thank happygolucky26
All I have to say is strange that I was not seen as my office is just opposite the reception and I am always available.

Anyway thank you for your comments .

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

oxford
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed from 4/4/14 to 24/4/14 half board with Chevron, for a reunion with friends we met two years ago, last year the refurbishment took place and the hotel was closed.
We hoped the hotel would be better with the foyer looking very smart but apart from a small change in the bar and entertainment room nothing else had altered, The acts where even the same, the old lady doing flamenco with her family was highly the act of the week and as for the rest they where trying very trying.
The bedrooms still had the same curtains and bed covers that they had two years ago, the beds needed a lot to be desired.
I know refurbishments come with a price but to charge 10euros deposit and 1.5 euros a day for a kettle, I could have bought a new one for less there was also the internet available for a price, if you decide to use the service make sure you can log out as your time keeps going even when you are not using it.
My wife is on insulin injections and we needed to put her pens in the fridge only to be told that would be 35euros deposit and 3.5euros a day to have a fridge in the room but we would have to wait till the following day to get one as nobody was available, we told them to stick it and put them in the restaurant fridge with our wine.
Lift was always breaking down, and when we were leaving at 5.30am a guest was stuck in the it
We will not be going there again
Romina who serviced our room was excellent thank you, and so were the staff in the restaurant and bar although very sparse
overall a very clean and tidy hotel but no added extras

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hi David.

Thank you for your review and I shall consider lowering the prices of both the kettle and the frigo bar. I agree we could do better.

Regards

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed here half board from the 20/04/14 through 24/04/14 on a short visit to Buggiba. The primary reason for our visit was Scuba diving in the local area and as such we were really just looking for somewhere cheap to crash out after the days activities.
Plus points, the prices are very reasonable and the hotel is extremely clean, with staff hard at work at all hours of the day cleaning the rooms, common area's and pool area to a standard that a 5 star hotel would be proud of. Customer service was in general good, there were a couple of members of staff that were curt, but in general everyone was friendly and helpful.
Negative points.. Food left something to be desired, think more school canteen than cordon bleu and no healthy option was a bit of a bummer for us. However considering the low cost it would be unreasonable to expect more. One thing to watch out for is the drink prices in the restaurant itself as the prices in the menu's do not match up with the prices charged. If you find you have a hand written menu ask for a printed one otherwise you will look at paying a few Euro's more than quoted in the menu's. Its also not the quietest of locations with the bar next door playing Karaoke until the early hours of the morning and music from the pool area starting at around 7am. The hotel rooms themselves are very basic and the showerhead in ours had definitely seen better days, more a leaky tap than a shower. Overall very good value but not a hotel for those that require creature comforts.

1 Thank Tigs77uk
Dear Sir,

Thank yu for your review.
East Grinstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

On arrival we entered a well appointed foyer only to be greeted by a grumpy unfriendly lady on reception, we didnt even get a "Hello" let alone a smile! I was just told "Fill in this form and your room in not ready!" We had no idea how long we had to wait and nothing was explained about the facilities, ie: what time breakfast or lunch was served till and as a result the next morning when we went down for breakfast at 9.32am we were told it finished at 9.30, there was no directory in the rooms either to give you a clue! The public areas at the hotel were of a good standard, nice indoor and outdoor pools, pleasant restaurant and bar with entertainment. The room however was a dissapointment, so tired, dated, getting scruffy, loose grout all around the bath, hairs from previous guests all over the bathroom, not great, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and for what we paid, it was worth the money if not even a bit more.

2 Thank Cathy J
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate them. We can assure you that the rooms are all being done up including the furniture. All this will make the hotel new. What we have done for now is upgraded our standard rooms however all rooms shall be done and ready shortly.

Yours sincerely,

Lublin, Poland
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Very nice hotel, delicious food, cleaned rooms, close to the sea, bus stop, shops and friendly staff, especially Alfred from the reception, very helpful and kind guy. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Irmina

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank IrminaLawen
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments. Hope to see you soon .

Yours sincerely,

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

I checked out of this hotel at 8.20 this morning after three nights stay that was booked through a climbing holiday company! I have no desire or wish to return!
The hotel foyer looks very modern and leads you think it's a stylish hotel! The rooms however are lacking in basic hotel amenities and at best are grubby!
I stayed in 223 and it consisted of two small single beds and a very small bathroom!

My highest issues with the room are listed below!
The balcony door did not lock!
The shower curtain had cigarette burn holes and did not reach the rim of the bath so water spills out when you shower!
Speaking of shower the water in the evening was tepid at best!
The bedding was ripped and faded with age!
The bed sheets were not even tucked in under mattress and left to drape!
There were only two power points in the room with no hair dryer available!
Behind the curtain was an old switch control that was thick with dust as was the top of the wardrobe!
The air con and fan didn't work!

I only are breakfast in the hotel and it was average! I was disappointed to find there was no fresh fruit other than dried out segments of what i assume was orange!
While I intend to return to Malta to climb I wouldn't consider staying here again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanya J
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your comments and I appreciate what you have written. I will look into it myself but also a pity that you did not mention anything whilst here on holiday. I am sure that the fruit was not dry as it is cut daily and I am sorry that you did not mention the rest of the breakfast that is available. Breakfast in UK (Just English Breakfast) costs Euro 8.00 on average, holiday on half board (Buffet Breakfast & Buffet Dinner and accommodation) in Malta costs Euro 14.00 per person ........try and work that out as value for money !
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Euroclub Hotel
Euroclub Hotel
#13 of 15 in Qawra

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!