“what a nightmare from thomas cook” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“what a nightmare from thomas cook”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

After seeing a card in the travel agents window we decided to ask for more details,the holiday was for 2 adults 2 children all half board,we were told it was one bedroom with sofa beds for the children who are both aged 12,after getting conformation from the manager of the travel agent that the room had separate living quarters we booked,we were given free car parking.Great start,then my step-daughter was unable to go because of a current medical condition,we informed the agent and had to pay an underoccupancy fee,we did and also noticed that we had paid for the car parking,again we informed the agent ,who told us we would get a cheque back,that was at bthe beginning of july and has of 3rd september still waiting.When we arrived at Malta,a place i have been to many times without a single problem we were taken to the San Pawl hotel 3 star.We got our room key and was greeted by an 8ft x 8ft room with 3 camp beds ,one single wardrobe and a chest of drawers.we complained that night only to be told no rooms available.In the morning still no room available,and our rep was to busy to deal with us.After phoning head office in malta we moved hotel to appartments,making our own way there and paying 250 euros extra.Thomas cook lied to us about the accomadation,3 star hotel,with no air con,no fridge,no tea of coffee facilities and most rooms ,so called family rooms 8ft x 8ft,if my step-daughter had come with us four beds would have been in that room blocking the entrance to the en-suite.Thomsas cook have offered no help in this matter,blaming the hotel,but they could have done more,we were sold a holiday that we did not get and are taking the matter further.

• Liked — checking out!
  • Disliked — very small rooms and unpleasant staff
1 Thank blondeykim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
lincolnshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2008

August 23rd 2008

On arrival reception very nice. Tiny lift to room on 3rd floor. State of carpets on corridors disgusting stained and in bad condition a vac might have helped.

Very old ceiling fan that shook like mad and did little to cool the room that was very dated and not very clean. The room overlooked a back street very boring view. Decided to upgrade to a superior room at a cost to one with a pool view paid money but did not check room first (should have i know) superior it was not though air con was appreciated, Moved to the room only to find another view of a back street went to reception explained we wanted to be overlooking the pool so that if all sunbeds taken we could sunbathe on balcony and that we had spoken to the manger about this the day before, receptionest just stared as if to say tough. She eventually said we could move the next day if a room was available (gave up). The room this time was on the first floor carpet disgusting and stuck together with gaffer tap not very safe, and on our final mornig a pile of dog /cat turd met us on the landing that stayed there most of the morning(though staff did cover it for a while with talcum powder.On last day asked if we could keep our room till leaving early evening yes i could have a room but not the one I was in and I had to pay 16 euros which was fine until i got to an even worse room than the previous 2. no towels and the show did not work, went to reception to be greeted by the now familiar stare and 3 mins wait to be acknowledged sorted shower eventually.

One day in the reception area the manager and a holiday maker were having a very loud heated argument I did wonder if it was going to become physical.

The staff I would not decribe as friendly most of the time rude.
One waiter was always cheerful and always singing.

The one positive comment iI can make is the food at the hotel was excellent great choice and a varied menu congratulations to the chefs.
i have never felt the need to write a review before but I had to say this was the worst hotel I have stayed in and I have stayed in many hotels in many counties.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — cleanliness, staff
1 Thank delightful007

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed at the san pawl hotel from the 12 - 27 aug 08. cost us £1200 for two rooms for to weeks. Me and my brother stayed in room 309 and my mum step dad and younger brother stayed in 314. both rooms where dirty and the celing fans dident work all that well. 10 days out of 14 me and my brother had a chest infection, i can only put this down to how dirty the pool was because most of the quest had the same chest infection. on our last day my mum laid some clothes out for her my brother and step dad to travel in, and they went off to the beach. When they got back the room was empty, clothes had gone, personal papers, gifts that we had bought. When we imformed the manager he wasent helpful at all and kept saying the maid is aloud one mistake. Anyways after plenty off kicking off the maid turned up with two bags of ours and said sorry then walked off. My mum opened the bags in reception and the gifts where still missing half the clothes and all the personal papers. We told the manager once again, and he wonderd off. About an hour later he turned up with the gifs but no clothes or the papers. He was honest with us and told us they were in the maids room. My advice to anyone thinking of booking san pawl is not to. Honest two words sums up this holtel, Faulty Towers.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
2 Thank toplad07
england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Remember when you book that the facilities advertised are not guaranteed, may not be on offer and the hotel decide on what is available! This is what we were told on being given a tiny room with a grubby bathroom, tatty linen and without aircon and enquiring, at various times about other facilities.. No other rooms were available though and so we were stuck. In addition -
Indoor pool - not available
whirlpool - not available
internet - not available
pool - closes at 5.30 pm.
aircon in room - not available
lift - not working - 3 floors in 40degrees! I'm not working!
toaster at breakfast - not working
coffee machine - not working
aircon in dining room - you've guessed it! Try eating a hot meal in a room with 200+ others after a day with 40 degree heat and no extra ventilation. It really is a wonder that the poor restaurant staff - who did remain cheerful throughout - could go on.

The evening entertainment was awful and extremely loud. It could be heard from streets away. This didn't bother us unduly as we were in no hurry to get back to the tiny, stifling room and didn't want an early night. We did see and hear lots of complaints from families though who were unable to retire until the noise had stopped at about midnight. It wouldn't have been so bad had the quality of the entertainment been good but when we arrived back early one night we honestly thought it was bad karaoke!

Food, though similar most nights, was good quality and plentiful. Not much choice for veggies (omelettes and salad) but in the Med, that's pretty standard I guess. Breakfast spoilt by having to queue for coffee (machine out of order) and very watery orange juice from a separate machine.

This was an expensive holiday and frankly I have stayed in far better hotels for much, much less. We all know the star system is arbitrary but this hotel is not near anyone's idea of a 3*. Call me cynical but my guess is that when the inspectors arrive the facilities are miraculously on tap again. This on/off system must save the hotel a pretty penny - to guests cost!

• Liked — Getting out and about in Malta
  • Disliked — The things we had booked were not on offer
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gardener01
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

I came back from Malta yesterday (17/8/08). It is my 8th visit, and I always stay in the St. Pauls Bay area. The San Pawl Hotel looked amazing in the brochure, so my partner and I were really looking forward to our stay there. Entering the reception area it looked lovely - modern and clean. We were booked into room 322 and to get there we had to get in a tiny rickety lift. Once on the corridor the carpet was absolutely filthy - I don't think it has ever been vaccuumed,(it certainly wasn't during the fortnight I was there !) There was litter all over it. The way the rooms are numbered took us awhile to find ours. Very basic, which is okay because you don't expect to spend too much time indoors. But the sheets although clean had a few old stains on them and the pillows were very lumpy.
But all that aside, the staff were extremely friendly,the restaurant was air conditioned and very smart, the food was fantastic - so much selection and nicely presented. The pool area was cleaned every morning and the pool bar served a very varied menu for lunch. The entertainment was repeated the second week and was very loud - so no chance of an early night. To sum up I really enjoyed my holiday and will go back to Malta a 9th time - but not to the San Pawl Hotel.

• Liked — The staff.
  • Disliked — Lack of basic cleanliness on corridor/ stair areas.
2 Thank lindyloo72
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

I read the reviews only after booking and became very worried by some of the things on here. Having arrived late following a Jet2.Com flight from manchester ( i have never heard of these flying rip off amatures either!!) We eventually got there at 4am so you can imagine.
The placed looked great through tired eyes and continued to be so for the duration of the stay.
We also had a poolside room on the first floor, room 1049. clean and large bathroom. fan didn't keep me awake at all, but maybe i am used to a bit of noise. room was cleaned everyday so what more do you want. It was a cheap afterall!!

room opposite 1049 i did have to remove a live cockroach but hey its a hot country and i did see them in the streets so not that bad , is it? guess that could freak a few people out.
Food was fine but maybe less hot food in such a hot climate and dining room was very very hot at meal times. Most staff wer lovely although one of the older guys in the dining room was only pleasant to females!! lol.

having said that I wouldnt choose to go back as was loads of kids around the pool being loud and doing what kids do, but hey it was cheap so not really complaining.
malta was lovely and I look forward to returning.

• Liked — comfortable
  • Disliked — other peoples lids
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank jamie313
england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

After paying over £2000 for our holiday. We were put in a very basic room with 4 beds pushed together, with a fan on the ceiling that didn't work, no air conditioning. After complainig we were offered an upgraded room with air con but had to pay another 165 euros which we had no choice but to accept for the children's sake & our sanity.

The new room was much better, but this is what we expected in the first place.

THE BAR SCAM.
The scam at the bar is, you buy your drinks at the pool bar you are charged 5 euros when the bill should be 4 when the barman opens the till he puts the money in but takes 1 euro out & puts the euro in his pocket.

I myself & many other guests witnessed this happening. I just want to warn other potential guests about this scam. We don't mind giving tips but as we had already spent £2000 plus on this holiday & an extra 165 euros for upgrade we felt like we were been robbed & wondered how much we had already been swindled out of before the scam was spotted.

• Liked — Being moved rooms
  • Disliked — First choice room
1 Thank whister
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 16 in Qawra
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,894 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!