“Christmas blues”
Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We booked into this hotel for three weeks over the festive period, and stayed only overnight before we moved hotel. Bedroom and ensuite were shabby and incredibly tired! The evening meal was very disappointing after a long day travelling. The food was bland and rather tasteless. We nearly emptied the salt and pepper cellars, trying to improve the flavour. The breakfast was no better. In the morning we signed out and moved to Valletta.

Room Tip: I am sorry I cannot.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comments however I do not understand your comments on food being tasteless and that you had to add so much salt, even breakfast ?? eggs, bacon , sausages, cereals , ham , cheese etc all tasteless?? Rooms are standard although we are in process of changing all the bedding and curtains at the moment which should render them more colorful and probably more to your liking

Write a ReviewReviews (1,630)

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Already wrote a review on this hotel , but just wanted to add me and my husband and 4 kids going back for 10 days in August just booked can't wait ! U get wat you pay for loved the san pawl rooms could be doing with a bit of work but apart from that great hotel , friendly staff , great hotel

Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Carolinefitzsimons
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your review. Its a pleasure to see such comments.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We are at this time at the san pawl hotel,we have stayed here 3 times before when we arrived this time we were pleasently suprised firstly a new refurbished reception and when we got to our room the bathroom was also new the room was lovely and clean, we went down for our meal and found that they were also loads better than the last time we were here we have 2 more weeks to go and up to now no complaints long may it last must also say the cleaners and dining roomstaff are very pleasent , and as always some people not happy but its those that are paying 3 or 4 star prices and expecting 5star plus you get what you psy gor and we are more than happy

Room Tip: 105 has a massive balcony at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sheanddave

I thank you for your response and do hope to see you again shortly. It was a pleasure hosting you at our hotel and wish you the best of 2014.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Just returned on Christmas Eve from the San Pawl.
Wish we had stayed for Christmas. We have been to this hotel many times and you get what you pay for. The renovation of the reception area is great and very modern. We were told by a member of staff that the soft furnishings in the bedrooms were due to be replaced. I think this is not before time. Having said that the hotel is not expensive compared to some and those who complain should go elsewhere and pay 5 * prices. All of the staff are very helpful and as with most Maltese, very polite. I was dismayed by one lady guest in the restaurant as she ranted and raved to the young waiter that there was no ice-cream or jelly? There were 3 huge cakes to choose from + cheese + biscuits? Try the Jester across the road run by a lovely family.

Room Tip: It is worth it to pay a little extra for a superior room. Also if you return to the hotel, sent a le...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chris j
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments , I am happy that you have enjoyed yourself with us.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Been twice can not fault clean friendly nothing too much trouble booked with travel republicthey were very good bar across road is good but a little pricey bar 2 minutes away spaggetti junction very good

Room Tip: Pool view soom have larger balconies witch is good at night to watch entertainment
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jean p

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed at the San Pawl from, 11th of October this year for two weeks. Having never been to Malta before, we were unsure of what we would be getting ,but on the whole we were very happy with it. The room we were given was spacious and Clean. The beds didn't have mattress protectors on them, which I found surprising but acceptable as the sheets ect were clean.
We stayed Half Board and I must admit that the food was plentiful and very tasty, all of it was homemade ,with a wide a varied selection each night. Only thing was if you wanted tea ,coffee ect with your main meal you had to pay extra, which I believe is standard in all hotels in Malta. Morning breakfast was also acceptable, again with a nice selection of choices.
The staff in the Restraunt were pleasant and one in particular we got talking to called "Charles " was going above and beyond his duties to make people feel welcome and at ease. I never did get to learn his Surname unfortunately.
The hotel reception staff were very nice and helped you in anyway they could. Only the night porter was not very welcoming, but this didn't impede our stay one little bit.
The pool area was power washed every morning and kept clean, the pool also was very very clean, even if it was very very cold .The entertainment was acceptable, but they had the same line up for both weeks, so we went out and about to see other acts in the second week.
Only down side we seen was that if you wanted to use the internet you had to pay extra for it. In this day and age people demand more from their hotels and this is a must for most people, most hotels in the Uk provide this for their guests. Also the TV channels, the only two we could watch which was in English was CNN, and BBC world news. Which wasn't good for my son who wanted to watch things he could understand.
The location is good for the the harbour and walking into Bugibba but beware the hills.
We liked this hotel so much we are looking into booking it again for next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
2  Thank Jacqueline K

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

This hotel on first impressions seems nice, the reception is clean and spacious and staff very helpful.
I arrived at 8.30pm, was swiftly checked in and asked to get something to eat as the restaurant closes at 8.30pm, there was no one in the restaurant when I went in, however the staff were very helpful, got my food and did not rush me.
The bedroom was so disappointing I felt depressed looking at it, fully recognising I had not paid much, but the mould was sickening in the bathroom, the sheets dirty and the place smelt damp.
I went downstairs and asked for another room, I was given a key to see if another room met approval, it did, it was on the first floor, the original being on the second, and was a lot better, cleaner and spacious.
I would strongly recommend a room on the first floor as on to speaking to other guests, many who had been before, they all recommended the same. I was cold and when I mentioned this to the cleaner she gave me a quilt and advised for ask me for a heater. This was supplied on request from reception.
The food is basic, bit understandable in the quiet season, the staff are excellent and very helpful.
The hotel is well placed near the sea front and promenade and a good base for a relaxing trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DeerUk

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you enjoyed yourself with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
#2 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Qawra Palace Hotel
Qawra Palace Hotel
#7 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!