“Do not go here.”

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Do not go here.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I just came back from here 26/11/13 we 3 men had booked 3 twin rooms in the TOPAZ a couple of months ago but it closed so we were changed to the San PawI. I upgraded to premier room as I had read about the small rooms. so upgraded to Premier. I got one on 2nd floor, the noise was unbearable at night, early hours 3.30am traffic started. Changed room to 4th floor but the premiers are all on the front. The DOG, it was left out on a balcony opposite for hours yapping. I was woken by fighting and arguing at the pub opposite at 3am went on until 4 15am so don't waste your dosh on premier. My pal had a single room it had the smallest I had ever seen in a hotel, bearing in mind he should of moved like for like, they eventually moved him. If you like egg n sausage ok, don't go near the bacon, If you like rubber chicken and watered soup ok. if you like bland half cooked fish ok, need I say more. Don't use choice holidays I was not on transfer list they got me a taxi in the end, if the flight had not been 1hr 30mns late I would of missed it.

Room Tip: outdoor pool room view, quiet, but this was in November don't know about summer months
2 Thank buddy496
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Buddy496,

I thank you for your review and I must say that the hotel is not at fault if you booked the Topaz and stayed with us. We have a large number of return customers as well as new customers who enjoy our hotel very much and book year after year even with Choice Holidays. If your friend had booked a single room that is what was allocated to him on arrival, however we were more then willing to change it for him. Regarding the food I think you must have entered in the wrong restaurant as our variety is vast and there is plenty to choose from. Blend fish , rubber chicken, don't go near the bacon ?? I wish to understand what you mean by all this. I am sorry to say but trying to damage the reputation of a hotel just because you where placed somewhere else and not the Topaz does not solve the matter. Blaming our services and product to get compensated is not justified either.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at this hotel and am finding it an excellent value for money hotel. A very nice reception area, entertainment every night in the hotel bar and the breakfast and evening meals are very nice to. The staff are very pleasant and friendly. The only down side is other guests who don't seem to be happy unless they are moaning.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Louise H
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Ms. Louise,

Thank you for your comments and kid words. Its a pleasure hosting you with us and i am glad you are enjoying your stay too.
Regards

Max
Rhondda, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

If security cameras are required in this hotel they should certainly be located in the Resaurant.
When `costing` the prices of hotels, thieving of food by guests should be taken into consideration.I was recently there for one week and was disgusted by`the dear old ladies` who took pockets of cartons of butter-marmalades-bread etc and craftily put them into their handbags and pockets. I warned one such `Dear` that if she didn`t empty her pockets I would inform the Manager. Another `Old Dear` took a large `tupperware` type box into the Resaurant-cut up 4 oranges and put them in the box and and then her carrier bag. And another matter that needs addressing-Guests should not be allowed to take their own mugs into the Restaurant as they fill them up when leaving-with pockets of sugar of course.
This is a serious matter that the Manager of the Hotel needs to address.A reply from the Manager would be appreciated.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear David,

Thank you for your review and YES we do get the type of people that you are mentioning , Luckily not all are like that and we are addressing the situation as well. We have placed notices up as well as made the serving staff more aware of what is going on. In the restaurant one may eat as much as they like without any limition but taking food out is not the done thing,
crediton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We have just returned from 11 days b/b at the San Pawl. This was our second visit in 2013. We were very pleased with the bed/breakfast deal we had and the staff who served us were great. Restaurant manager was always very polite and his staff very good and always willing to answer any questions in a helpful and friendly manner. Our friends who came for the first time really enjoyed their time at San Pawl.Reception were great too and always willing to sort any litle problems out. Enid was a star at making sure our rooms were always done to a very good standard. Would I recommend the San Pawl for a holiday to the lovely island of Malta? YES!!!!

NDevon couple

2 Thank harrygillick
Dear Mr Gillick,

I thank you for your review, It was a pleasure hosting you with us.
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I read the review of this hotel before booking, and booked on the basis that although there were numerous complaints, the manager always responded. I mistakenly believed that this meant that they would follow through the complaint and put things right. Everything bad that has been said about this place is true.

I visited in late September 2013 and have had to hold back from reviewing because I was so horrified by the hotel I needed to calm down and reflect before writing about it.

If you sat in the reception at any time of day you would witness yet another guest complaining, most often to ask why a lift was not working or a request to change rooms. There are 3 lifts, in this maze of a hotel with long corridors reminiscent of scenes from The Shining. It is a hotel of horrors including mattresses that have seen much better days. Every day one lift was out of order (not always the same one). It seemed taht th only way to chage rooms was to up grade to a superior one or get the rep to intervene.

We were initially allocated room 2055, it was late we have been travelling for 6 hours, we needed to sleep. A 2'6" thin mattress covered with a threadbare sheet was on one of the 3' beds and was so lumpy that sleep was impossible.

We were in a standard room. Substandard would be a better description. No air con just an ancient, rusty, dirty ceiling fan. The patio windows had to remain open if you were to get any cool air for it to circulate. Room 2005 is at the front of the hotel which overlooks a busy road and some bars therefore it is noisy at night and when the garbage men start work at 4 am. Take earplugs.

I got 17 bites in the first two days. We take a home made repellent that has worked perfectly well in Dalyan, Turkey which is renown for its mosquitoes, and which worked perfectly well in SE Asia, so perhaps it wasn't mozzies doing the biting. Five weeks later I still have the scars.

I complained to reception about the mattress and the noise the next morning and asked to switch rooms. This is first time I have done this. They said they had no spare rooms at that time and to come back later. At the reps meeting I mentioned that we had complained about the dreadful mattress and her lack of shock implied to me that this was a common complaint. To cut a long story short we were offered another room, which after inspection we decided to take. It was slightly larger, better mattresses, and overlooked a residential street. This was room 118.

We still had to have the windows open at night to keep the room cool, but this meant that we could hear some bad Elvis impressions from what we thought was a nearby bar. There was no bar on the street, the 'entertainment' we could hear was from the pool bar of the hotel. It was so loud it carried up the whole street. What it would be like to have a superior room with a pool view (unless you like Elvis impressions and wannabe Neil Diamond performances)?

The buffet breakfast was adequate, the bacon was mostly fat, the sausages salty and the fried eggs overcooked. We chose not to take up the offer of a reduced price evening meal if we booked 3 or more as Hawaiian Gammon and soup is not what I like. It seemed popular though as there was always a queue at 6pm when the dining room opened. That said most of the people at breakfast interpreted a buffet as all you can eat: I witnessed people having 5 types of cereal, then piling their plates with cold salad, hot breakfast and bread rolls (stashing most of it in their bag for lunch later) so it wasn't exactly a fine dining experience. Getting tea and coffee was a challenge as they ran out of cups for tea and coffee every morning.

The bathroom was not dirty, but not spotless, scum around the base of the taps, an odd stain next to the toilet. Room service seemed to be 'make bed, wipe around a few surfaces and leave new towels'. It was dusty under the bed and the luggage rack. The nets at the window were torn (there had been no nets in the other room so for any privacy you had to keep the curtains shut and light on).

There is a room safe, at a charge. The charging rate is bizarre. 15+ days 1.5 euro per day, 7-15 days 2 euros per day and for 7 or less days 2.5 euros per day. No, don't get it at all. Basically penalise any guest that doesn't stay 15 days or more.

We used this as a base to sleep and eat breakfast, we could not get out of the place fast enough, and I wished we had not asked to change rooms but instead to asked to change the hotel.

I could go on, but I won't. Just read the other reviews. It doesn't deserve the 3* rating, it may look all swish in the reception with the sofas and glossy surfaces and air conditioning but there is a saying in England, fur coat no knickers.

Room Tip: Are there any good rooms?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

East Sussex, U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have to say that our late booking was made on price, not on the very mixed reviews.
We were allocated room 205 which although tired has a large covered balcony overlooking the road, a good size bedroom and big bathroom. We found the room and public areas to be very clean.
WiFi should be free and we were peeved that we had to go elsewhere for the service, which of course meant that we were buying beverages etc. at said establisments and the hotel lost that business.
I agree with others that the 'entertainment' was of variable quality - mostly very second rate, and not to our taste. The less talented performers always seem to think that if they turn their volume up, it improves their performance - it doesn't. However, many of the older guests seemed to enjoy it and for the price of the holiday we can't really complain, at least there was something every night.
We beg to differ with some about the friendliness or helpfulness of the staff, we were more than happy with the service and the attitude.
At this juncture I must point out that we were very impressed by the restaurant manager Charles who was charming, attentive, professional and is one of this hotel's greatest assets.
As to the food, we always enjoyed breakfast, there was plenty of it and lots of choice although perhaps a little more attention could be paid to the fried eggs and the bacon.
We plumped for the half board deal when we booked the holiday as it was fantastic value for money. We agree that more herbs and spices could be used to enhance some of the meals but in the main we were more than satisfied. We eat (and grow) lots of salad at home and found that the hotel's offering was perfectly adequate. Some of the sweet dishes were horribly synthetic but there were alternatives. All in all, for the price it was terrific value for money.
One major complaint was that there was no real coffee available in the bar, only instant, but I understand that it will be rectified. On that note, if you are a real coffee lover always check at bars, cafes and restaurants which kind is on offer.
We liked the location as it was so close to the bus stops, great value fares at only 2.6 euros for a hop on hop off return fare. And only a short walk, albeit steep hills or steps, to the sea front.
We would not hesitate to return if we could be assured of a similar room and we hope that the uncomfortable beds (mine was poor, my wife's fine) will be replaced in due course and that refurbishment takes place very soon.
I rather suspect that those who have posted poor reviews may have been expecting too much from a budget hotel so advise prospective guests to read all reviews to make a balanced decision. However, our opinion may have been very different had we been allocated a small room with a tiny balcony.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sidleyranger
sanpawlhotel, General Manager at San Pawl Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your comments especially about our staff. We pride in giving great service to our guests. We will take your suggestions into consideration and should you wish to contact us please do not hesitate to do so . Your input and feedback are always welcome.
Wexford, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

I've been to a good few place and I have to say this is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. You read load of reviews and think people are just whinging....but no, this hotel is that bad!! From ill mannered staff (and I'm being polite by calling them just ill mannered), to a 'Manager' this is an imbecile...Faulty Towers looks like a 5 star and runs like a dream in comparison! It was just one problem after another. We did tell reception to start with, but it was falling on deaf ears. Needless to say we will not be back near this Hotel but Malta was beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AineF123
I am sorry read about your experience and I will investigate the matter further. I have just been appointed as General Manager of the hotel and hope that I will be able to meet you in the near future and offer you a great holiday and a better experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Canifor Hotel
Canifor Hotel
#14 of 16 in Qawra
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,677 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!