“Brilliant for the Money” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Pawl Hotel

San Pawl Hotel
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Brilliant for the Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is Simply the best Hotel Me and My Wife have ever Stayed in, we have now visited 3 times and love the place.
All these People who complain must expect Buckingham Palace, its a 2 star official rating hotel for gods sake although we reckon its at least a 3
As for Sandra who gets slated so much all i can say is she has always been polite,cheerful and smiling in our experiences even on our First Visit she treated us like old friends
Raymond is exactly the same as Sandra even on our First Visit he made us feel at ease and at home
Looking forward to this October for our 4th visit

Room Tip: First floor overlooking pool with huge balcony
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had a standard room (room number 302 on the 3rd floor) at the front of the hotel, overlooking where there was a bar (Jesters I think??) and Fab's mini store – very nice lady who works in the store during the day. The room was very basic but clean, TV didn't work but we were not that bothered about that. Shower was pretty rubbish and it did smell every time we turned it on! Bed sheets and towels were changed daily which was nice, cleaners seamed fairly happy and always smiled and said hello. The main issue was the HEAT in the room, that is the only reason we'd probably not go back to this hotel. You can ask for the air-con turned on at 15 euro’s a night, but we didn't find this out until our holiday was nearly over. Having said that, I don't think we would have paid anyway. We just slept with the fan on and the balcony window open, this helped but it was still very sticky and warm. We are a young couple and felt we could just about deal with the heat but I wouldn’t like to have my grandparents or even parents to experience the same as we did. So definitely get air-con if you want a decent night sleep!

The breakfast was pretty good, with a decent amount of choice. We didn’t have dinner in the hotel so can’t comment on that.

Pool was ok and was clean but the sun beds have seen better days – but we didn’t use them much. The poolside bar snacks were very nice and the barman who seamed to work most days was very pleasant. If you going to hang around the pool and want a few beers then go to Fab’s mini store right next to the hotel, instead of the pool bar, because a pint of Cisk costs 3 euro’s at the pool bar and you can just get a can of beer for a euro or so in the store. There is also an off-license just around the corner (about 15 yards further) which is owned by the guy that has the bar (Jesters) directly outside the hotel, he is a bit of a character and he did make me laugh every time I went in there.

There was evening entertainment which was mainly singing and lots of people would get up and dance. It went onto about midnight and we could clearly hear the music from out hotel room. The entertainment was pretty good I guess, kind of what you’d expect for a 3 star hotel.

Recepetion staff did look pretty miserbable most of the time but we didn’t have any issues with them, but I did see a few people complaining to them, so I guess this is why they didn’t appear very happy.

The hotel was about a 6-7 minute walk to the sea front where you can easily arrange boat trips and all kinds of different activities, like jet skiing, speedboats, canoeing etc… Fairly good amount of places to eat on the sea front, but if you are on a budget then you can find cheaper options more inland closer to the hotel. There was a place called Chris’ snack bar near the hotel which was cheap, still very nice with very good portions.

All in all it’s a very basic hotel but still good value for money. I’d say it’s good if you get air-con and you don’t plan on spending much time in the hotel.

We’d probably go back to Malta but next time would go for a slightly more expensive 4 star hotel which includes air-con. Having said that we didn’t pay much, so never say never…

PS. Say whay you like about the hotel but my girlfriend (now fiancée) and I got engaged on our holiday, so it all worked out in the end!

3 Thank jamesthecat1981
Cwmbran,S.Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Just got back.Anyone who can manage this place without air conditioning is a better man than me.Hot wow.Fortunately prepaid for an upgraded room and had the fridge and air conditioning so £1285 for the fortnight.i know a few other guests who were being quoted £10.50 a night just for air conditioning which seemed over the top as it was old and very noisy but at least it worked well .Our room was overlooking the Jesters bar opposite(main road frontage opposite reception) and was in the newer bit of the hotel I assume.The room was acceptable and although concerned initially about road/bar noise it did not cause any problems as this place is on the top of the hill on a backstreet.Only nuisance were the locals who beep car horns all hours of the night.The room generally was very acceptable,very roomy and had plenty of space.Hallways corridors high polished tiles but internally rooms are a bit dated.They were cleaned regularly and generally OK- but as experienced by many other guests the towels were ruddy nightmare.Like drying with a bloody "brillo" and occasionally many had more holes than actual material.The wife was convinced the wash ,dry and return towels daily.The restaurant is OK and ignore the derogatory comments about Raymond.He runs a tight busy ship and his humour is a bit dry rather than deliberately rude.Sandra the oldest receptionist however a sad example of how the Maltese generally treat tourists with little respect(a male Basil faulty but much more ignorant) .If your expecting a Spain like experience no chance.She must be a relation of the management as I have never ever experienced anything like her in my travels.Example :-on strolling with my wife into the hotel one afternoon I diverted across the road into the shop opposite to get a newspaper.4 other customers were in the shop so my Mrs had diverted into the reception to collect our room key.After paying for the paper having queued for a fair while as the other shop customers were in front of me I walked into the hotel reception a little bemused to find my very patient wife still stood at the reception. I couldnt understand why ?as the foyer was empty when she walked in.I found she was waitiing for Sandra who was counting coinage and couldnt simply hand her the key behind her until her counting task was completed.This typified her attitude which is a shame and lets the hotel down.Guests seem very much second best to locals.The younger hotel staff were fine but the attitude of a few spoiled the holiday and the likes of Sandra particularly as she was the first thing we were "greeted" with.She coulndt even be bothered to fill in our registration details and gave me a pen and blunt instructions what she wanted.Any queries she always claimed she would speak with the manager(who afterwards I realised was nearly always in an office opposite) and basically she would use excuse after excuse and nothing would be resolved if it went through "misery guts".She would make a bloody good mother in law and would murder all competition in a "smiling olympics".!!!!.My main concern with this place is the general cleanliness.There are more flies around the external pool/bar than I could stick.The internal pool area was never cleaned and I did find Malta as a first time visitor generally had cleansing issues with litter and dog crap everywhere.It is very run down with many empty businesses.
However I would certainly recommend the "Peppermill" just down the road(right out of reception to the junction at the bottom of the road -then about three doors down-large yellow DOGS sign outside-fantistic cheap place for wonderful home made burgers salad and chips for 3 euros and "Granny`s Fusion" in Bugibba Square where I had the best 2.5 euro breakfast in Europe.The steaks were spot on also .These places were recommended by local UK residents we had met in the bars who were almost all in agreement that the Maltese let the tourist trade down with their attitude.The enjoyment of my holiday was always nearly always where English staff or family were running the place who know the value of good customer service and value.I was half board at the hotel but by the end of two weeks I did spend a few quid outside the hotel as the food is a bit bland and drink was more expensive than most nearby places.You can save 60 cents a pint by waking less than hundred yards.If I was to go back to Malta I would certainly go to a hotel where customers are valued and not just a hinderance.

Room Tip: askfor a 2061/2062/2063 etc floor forward facing room(not poolside veranda etc)
1 Thank gwionmat314

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed for a month at this hotel, very friendly staff, they take the time to get to know you. Food very good, varied and lots of it. Rooms are kept very clean by the chambermaids. Would recommend this hotel because it is near the bus stops, and local shops and restaurants and pubs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennypotterpoo
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We have just returned from San Pawl Hotel and whilst the staff here are very friendly and location good, there are a few areas that need improving. Our room was in need of a spring clean, the table and chairs on the balcony could have done with a good wash. We put the ceiling fan on, as it was very hot, and the first time dust came floating down onto the beds! The toilet roll holder needed a clean too! The cleaner did come in every day and change the towels, however I think that was all that was done!
The staff in the restaurant were friendly, however there was limited choice of food, that said, we found something to eat each evening and the quality was good.
The safe deposit boxes are behind reception and cost 17.50 euros per week. We did think that these should be in the room, as if you keep you jewellery in there, it is a pain to keep going to reception every night to get it out! The price we feel was expensive.
Out and about in the area, we found a nice cafe/pub called 'the new 23 steps' which was the cheapest we found and has fantastic views of the bay, highly recommend a stop off here.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Haven't had a holiday in a while, was very apprehensive after reading the reviews AFTER I booked. Asked for a room with a fridge, high floor and air-con. Which was exactly what I got - it was massive!! No problems at all with the standard of cleanliness or towel exchange. Yes some parts of the hotel do need a bit of a face lift but feel that is reflected in the price - the Savoy it ain't!! The staff were very friendly and helpul - did hear some guests shouting and swearing at staff for matters they weren't happy with. Totally unnecessary. You get back what you give out!! Sandra on reception was lovely - even taking time to help me with my pidgeon Maltese!! Raymond in the restaurant "The General" - what a star!! Very Basil Fawlty but ran a tight ship - kept everything moving through busy meal services. Everyone was "Dahling!" or "Mate!" - lovely man if one took the time to speak to him. Could not believe some narrow minded person complained he was too loud and familiar - not at all what a character!! The food we found was plentiful with a good and varied selection - there was somethng for everyone. As stated elsewhere the pool was a good size and no fighting for a sun-beds. First time to Malta which was a culture shock as some parts were disctinctly run down and scruffy. Once I saw past this I loved it. Would say that car hire is essential to get round the island and see what there is to see - I went everywhere in a week!! Marvellous - so much to see and eat!! Was even there at the same time as Brad and Angelina!! Had a lovely holiday there and would definitely go again. Grazzi hafna!! Saha!!

Room Tip: Ask for a "Superior" room to get the fridge and air-con.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank AlisonRonald
Bradford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

the best bit of service at this hotel was they changed the towels daily and then they were grey instead o white. The cleaning of the rooms was very poor, the beds were made and the towels changed, and the shower area tidied, but other than that there was no wiping down table tops or cleaning the floor. The balcony very tiny and the plastice chairs and tables were grey not white. The hall stair carpet had not been cleaned for months. The hotel needs a full refurbishment. The beds were mattresses on hard board. The hotel is situated 10 mins from the sea front in a back street not a very nice positon for a holiday. The St Pauls area was vey bsuy with amusment rides and bars. Travelling around Malta very nice enjoyed the open top bus rides you could hop on and off. A better area to stay in would be St Julians. Parking an hired car extremely difficult as no spaces in the area

1 Thank Jackie1410
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 16 in Qawra
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,894 reviews

Been to San Pawl Hotel? Share your experiences!