“Gilleru Hotel”

Gillieru Harbour Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Just got back from 1 wks stay. Found the hotel to be just what we wanted - a quiet location, but close to bus routes and places to eat. Our room , 215, was clean and larger than we've had on previous holidays abroad, bathroom was also clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Continental breakfast was ok, cereals, fresh fruit and plenty of rolls & bread with meat, cheese & jam. Cooked items were at a small charge. Overall an enjoyable stay, we would definitely go back if we ever go to Malta again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stephanie W

Reviewed October 30, 2011

The worst value accommodation I have had for years. Noisy place - but a back (quieter) room will cost €5 per person per day (about 8% of my total holidaypackage). A room safe is €12 for the week. Breakfast - below par for even a two star hotel. Had I been an independant traveller, I would only have stayed one night.

Room Tip: have a room at the back of the hotel - sea view (see above for addiitional charge). Don't habe...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MPS95
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Just spent 10 nights at the Gillieru. The hotel is a little tired and could do with updating. The staff are fantastic and very helpful. Our room was clean had a super sea view across the bay but was on the small side. We stayed bed and breakfast which was limited to a cold buffet. Overall a friendly clean and comfortable hotel to stay and explore the island.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room overlooking the pool as they are large and sunny.
3  Thank Colin8677
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I have just got home after spending 2 weeks in the Gillieru Harbour Hotel and can honestly say I have had a lovely time. I read some of the previous reviews and think they must have stayed somewhere else!
From my arrival I was greeted by a lovely lady on reception all smiles and helpful. My room was really great overlooking the sea and really worth the extra paid for it. I was on the 4th floor.
Thank you so much to the lovely lady called Rita who kept everything so clean and tidy for me , she really could not have done more. Bed was comfortable, the sheets soft and really clean, towels also and changed more often than other hotels I have stayed in.
Food was plentiful, ok so it was a continental breakfast, but there was lots to choose from and what do you expect when you holiday outside the uk? For those who did want the big English breakfast you could have it cooked freshly if ordered and it was very inexpensive. Lots of fresh fruit which you don't always see that. Coffee was lovely, I normally drink tea but didn't have 1 cup in 2 weeks as I enjoyed the coffee so much.
Food in the evening was great, plenty to choose from and cooked really well, soups were excellent. Puddings were to die for and I ate far too much. Again the staff were so very kind and helpful. Thank you all.
I believe the location of this hotel to be one of the best on the island, stunning views, lovely and quiet with only a walk away from shops, town square and buses. Perfect for me. I used the free wi fi every day. Pool area was good, lots of spare beds.
I travel often and to many different hotels in different countries, mainly on my own, this holiday has been one of the best, I have been to Malta several times before.
Please take some previous comments with a pinch of salt, this is a smaller hotel run by very friendly and helpful staff doing the very best for their clients. I will be returning next year. This is the first time I have written a review online.

Room Tip: Worth paying the extra for a sea view room, I took my own kettle to make drinks in the room. I didn...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
8  Thank Lin B
Reviewed October 16, 2011

just come back a week ago from a two week stay at the gillieru hotel i found it good value hotel was a little tired could do with a make over but ok . plenty of clean towels fresh sheets ect if your staying longer than a week its worth paying the extra for a sea view the view is lovely right across the bay with boats and pool view other end of hotel looks out onto the street . you can walk into bugiba in about 10 mins a nice quiet holiday not for the young ones more for mature holiday makers if i ever come to st pauls bay again i would stay here but theres too many places to visit so would try somewhere else next year

Room Tip: higher floors are better with a sea view
3  Thank ginny12347
Reviewed October 10, 2011

First time at this hotel but will not be the last ! Had a great weeks stay reading other reviews some people seem to want to complain for the sake of it if there is a problem the staff will do their best to resolve it just ask don't moan about it The hotel was clean the staff fantastic plenty of choice in the dining room ( we only had breakfast) rooms nice and clean we stayed in room 311 had 2 balconies mini bar big enough for wine and water bottles bathroom a bit basic but very clean fresh towels every day if required no tea and coffee in room but took travel kettle so no problem there (lovely coffee in dining room ) but it was great to get up and have a drink on the balcony overlooking the sea The Da Rossi ristorante is fantastic ate there a couple of nights this is just across the road but a 10 mins walk to Buggiba and there's loads of places to eat and drink Have been to Malta before and stayed further round the coast at Qwara but St Pauls bay is so much nicer Go on the island tour buses if you get a chance ( hop on hop off ) very good value Really enjoyed our stay at the Gillieru

Room Tip: room 311 has 2 balconies so you get the sun all day one has a lovely view out to sea the other overl...
1  Thank silverfox11
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We arrived at hotel about 3am, having been left standing at the airport for longer than should be acceptable. The hotel room was good. I have rated very good because our problems were resolved quickly. We only had one chair on the balcony, there were no spare pillows in the wardrobe and the hair drier did not work properly.These were resolved the next day. The towel rail came away in the bathroom and my husband fixed it himself rather than reporting it. It could have been nasty as I tried to use it to help me get into the shower as I had recently broken my arm. The point is why were these things not checked before we arrived. However the food was good and we ate in the hotel each night. The breakfast was reasonable although I did have the same thing each time as I do not like a lot of the stuff.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends