“Uncooked food”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
burton on trent
“Uncooked food”
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Most of staff were helpful and friendly, room was acceptable, always cleaned everyday inc towels-like the fridge rather than mini bar-more useful. thankfully we took a kettle for teamaking as they were not included and also cost plenty.
The downside was the food-our best meal in 2 weeks was on the flight home! The vegs were mainly raw-half cooked, sparse choice-meat seemed to be processed ala Macdonalds, sweets-jelly every night-only one gatteux, plus ice-cream and melon.
Breakfast-burnt bacon, sausages, toms-+ fried eggs were usually cool at best-plates /dishes just occainsionaly were warm, if you were really lucky you may get a hot one. Drinks out of a machine meaning you got a taste of tea and coffee in the same cup.
Charging 1 Euro for a matress is not good.
We have been to the Dolmen before (unable to get in this time as full) how they can both be classed as 4 star is beyond me! The Dolmen is far superior in all ways.
We will always return to Malta but never to this Hotel.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swaddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,065)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Littlehampton
Reviewed August 31, 2008

I stayed at this hotel and found it to be alot better than the reviews seemed to show! The hotel was clean throughout. We had a seaview room which is a definate must as the views from the balcony were stunning! The courtyard rooms looked awful no privacy at all. We found the staff in the hotel very helpful, they also let me change my room as I don't like heights and I was on the seventh floor. The next day I was moved to the third floor, much better.The room itself was very nice, clean comfortable beds plenty of space for your clothes, mini fridge which was really helpful to keep your drinks lovely and cool. The bathroom was a little small but didn't worry me at all, it was big enough for us.
We were half board, the breakfasts were good but I wasn't keen on the dinners, there wasn't enough variety and the potatoes were cooked the same way each time.
The entertainment was ok although singers every night so no variety.
The pool was nice but you needed to get a sun lounger early in the morning to ensure you got one in the shade as it was very very hot! It was lovely in the pool cooling off!
The location was lovely on the seafront but if you wanted to go into Buggiba to get a bus or go to bars/shops you had to walk up a very steep hill! It was very hard work in the intense heat. I also found Buggiba to be very run down and also carrier bags full of rubbish just left on the side of the road. It wasn't a nice place at all.
The coffee shop at the hotel was very good, it was very cheap and the food was excellent, especially the gorgeous gateauxs.
The pizzeria owned by the hotel was very good too, we ate there a couple of nights and the food was reasonably priced, lots of it and very tasty, well worth a visit!
Overall I found the holiday lovely and relaxing. If I went again it woud be at a different time of year when I could do more sightseeing as it wouldn't be so hot!

• Liked — The gorgeous view
  • Disliked — The small bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JenLittlehampton
England
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I stayed at the Qwara Palace hotel quite a while ago now but I thought I would still write this review. I really enjoyed my time there and found the all inclusive to be fair. When we first arrived we went mad and ordered about 12 bottles of water from the bar between 4 of us. They did not bat an eyelid and from that moment to the last on my holiday the staff were fantastic. Some of the friendliest I have seen at a hotel. The only problem was my brother wasn't even on the booking list, but this was shortly sorted. Entertainment wasn't bad and some hotels put nothing on at all so well done for putting it on. All in all a very good hotel in my opinion.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Room location
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled with family
3 Thank Tricky340
East London
Reviewed August 21, 2008

we paid 7,000 pound for 3 adults and 3 kids and was told itwas a 4 star all inclusive, the rooms were disgusting the place was filthy and a complete rip off. The all inclusive package was not all inclusive at all you had to pay 1 euro for a towel each day and 1 euro for the mat for the sunbeds by the pool, 2 .50 euro to use the iron and 3.75 euro a day to have kettle and tea in your room. The all inclusive bar didnt open till 11 in the morning and only gave you local beers,wine and spirits and you could only have cocktails if you paid, the ice cream for the kids was non branded but if you wanted to pay you could have a branded ice cream. The bar closed at 11 at nite wile the pay bar stayed open till midnight. The lounge barwhere the televison were was not even open only at lunch times and evening meals, the night club which is advertised only opened on sat night. the entertainment wascrap it was thesame songs every night justdifferentpeople singing them, there was birds nest in the air vents outside every room, the place was like boiling hot blackpool, there was also 400 italian sudents aged between 8-12 staying there..which was a nightmare. I could go on and on but i dont want to ore you dont ever go there it needs demolishing.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank josgooners

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

kent
Reviewed August 20, 2008

NOT a holiday for children as hotel entertainment is very poor only one good evening which involved kids was elvis night.pool is too small for hotel so it is maddness. the rooms are horrible we booked a family room when got there room was tiny with 3 single beds all in row felt like the three bears. the mattresses where awful back hurt every morning rooms not cleaned properly i reported loads of ants so they gave me spray and said they would come and clean in morning as it was very toxic spray no one cleaned them at all 5 days later on leaving piles of dead ants still in corner, bathroom was tiny dark and not very clean we was on top floor so noise from air con unit on roof was so noisy took couple days to get use to it so you can sleep ,view was like concrete city as was whole area i would not return if you paid me we went all inclusive paid £1500 for week for 3 of us and not everything was all inclusive no drinks before 11am or after 11pm pizza rest not included nor the little cafe.
but on a good note chiefs were brilliant my daughter has a nut allergy so they made us aware of anything she could not eat and were really helpfull food was good staff friendly our first choice rep was lovely we would go back to malta as weather is really hot ( used factor 50 and still burnt) but to a different hotel and a diffrents area. i read lots of differant reviews and decided no we will still go as some people are just to picky but i wish now i had re booked some where else . but on good note met nice people and had nice holiday .

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — whole room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jay5678
kent
Reviewed August 10, 2008

I have just returned from a week at the Qawra Palace and had a wonderful relaxing and very hot holiday. Like many people I read the reviews and had some concerns but as I paid £500 for the week I thought I had very good value for money. I was fully inclusive and I knew before I went that this was a large hotel and food would be prepared and served to large numbers of people, nevertheless the food was varied, tasty and well presented - no complaints there! The breakfast menu was very good and as to comments about the lack of variety - how much variety do you have at home anyway? Mine was varied as I went for something different each day - it wasnt rocket science. Anyone who chooses all inclusive for this price at this size hotel must be aware of the standard they will be getting - overall I felt compared to many other hotels in other countries this was one of the better ones.
Inclusive drinks was essential with the hot weather and we must have had our moneys worth with drinks alone - not just the alcohol!!
The rooms were very clean, yes the bathroom was small but I didnt spend that long in there and it was more than adequate for most peoples needs. Our room did look out on to the courtyard which wasnt pretty but neither was it an eye sore, it was generally very quiet whic h was good. It would have been nice to sit out there in the early evening but we found the Cafe Royale and the beach bar overlooking the sea much better.
Staff were generally friendly and helpful and the facilities were clean and looked after, the messy areas came from holiday makers who didnt know how to use a bin!
Malta is a beautiful island and there were many trips to choose from and the Reps I felt were excellent always there when they said they would be and very very helpful - well done Thomas Cook.
I would say to those who have booked - go with the intention of enjoying yourself, dont get drawn in with the moaners who you will always find on holiday and have a great time and I am sure you will.

• Liked — Position by the sea
  • Disliked — Would have liked a sea view
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank 280157
UK
Reviewed July 29, 2008

We booked this hotel and after reading the reviews tried to unbook and book somewhere else but we could not so emailed the hotel and booked a sea view room as so many people advised.

Our tour operator was Cosmos and have to say that i would never book through them again but that was not the hotels fault. We arrived after a ten hour delay and then there was no taxi to pick us up as WE were late arriving (our fault....). When we eventually arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised. Our room was nice but probably in need of some updating but it was clean. The toilet seat was broken so i asked at reception and within one hour of returning to the room it was replaced with a new one. The meals were lovely to us. There was plenty of choice and although they did not do a childrens section you could ask for a kids meal and it was cooked to order. I suppose they try and encourage the kids to eat a little healthier and try new things.

The pool area was nice but to get some shade (and you really do need some as it was very hot in july) you needed to join the queue at about 8.00 in the morning but although the doors for the pool are advertised as opening at 8.30 the man usually appeared at about 8.15 so not much of a wait. We always sunbathed by the baby pool as we could turn our beds and watch the water sports going on. There is no beach as such but my husband and daughter were always in the sea snorkling and accessed it by the concrete bathing area and steps into the sea. The sea was mostly calm.

The evening entertainment was not really up to much. It was singers each night and mostly country music which seems to be the thing in malta. It looked very pretty at night all lit up. We mostly took a walk every evening into Buggiba and then sat by the pool and watched some of the entertainment and then finished off watching it from our balcony. It usually finished about 12 ish so sleeping before if you have a sea view room you may need ear plugs.

There were French Students running around the hotel and although our british boys have a name abroad these students were very rude in most peoples opinions they spoiled the hotel as the lifts were taken up mostly by hoards of them and when they passed you (even with little children and elderly people) they could not care less if they knocked into you. I think that this needs addressing by the management as they were loud at night and always shouting from their balconies and lots of people in the inland rooms got no sleep at all.

The staff were mostly nice and friendly and especially the restaurant staff. The restaurant thing about the all inclusive is so annoying. You are given a card when you arrive and although all inclusive you wear a wrist band, you still have to produce this card at meal times and at the bar. You are also allocated a block to sit at where you must continue to sit for the remainder of your holiday so no use meeting up with friends for a meal. You are not allowed. You have your own staff allocated to each block and ours were lovely, block E. The staff on reception i found to be quite unhelpful. There is a pizza place that you can eat at to replace your evening meal but each day i asked to book for the following night (and i asked at 8.30 in the morning) it was always fully booked.

We overall found this holiday to be acceptable and enjoyable although very quiet but if you are wanting a bit of peace and a place not too roudy (except for the students thing) then you will have a good time. Our daughter is 11 and she loved it. She made friends with lots of kids and probably had the best holiday she had ever had. She lived in the pool and the sea as the weather was so hot but at least she was not bored. Although there is no lifeguard at the pool its quite safe for the kids. I did mention this to the manager but his reply was "parents should watch their kids" and i suppose he is right.

Hope this has been helpful and don't listen to all the bad reviews. We had a seaview room which i would definately recommend to anyone going as the view really is spectacular. We had to have a court yard view on the last day as we had to move rooms as we wanted a late checkout. That was something else i found to be strange. You cannot ask for your room to be kept open until the day you are departing and if its booked again then they MAY be able to offer you something. We were given another room and it was more modern and spacious than our sea view one but the balcony was not private at all. It was only for the day though so it did not bother us. We paid 25 euros for it which i found to be quite steep as well.

I have to say i would go back there as i found it good value for money

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Soreda Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 16 in Qawra
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Qawra Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!