“Honest Review - please read and dont worry about any of the negative reviews!”
Review of Qawra Palace Hotel

Qawra Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Hampshire, UK
“Honest Review - please read and dont worry about any of the negative reviews!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

After reading some of the negative reviews i was a bit worried about this hotel, but there was no need to be. We have just come back from 10 days all inclusive and the hotel is good. Yes the rooms could do with a bit of a refurb, but they were clean and comfortable with good air conditioning and flat screen tv. Yes the bathrooms are small but theres only one of you in there at a time so who cares. We stayed in one of the inland rooms over the courtyard and although there was no view apart from other balconies it was fine as we didnt go to malta to sit in our room all the time, also the sea view rooms would probably have been noisier, the courtyard rooms were quiet as no road or music noise. I went with my mum and her friend i am 28 and they are in the 60's and we all enjoyed it. Location is great as you are a short walk to bugibba with shops, bars and restaurants galore but dont get the noise from them, there are also a few shops and restaurants outside the hotel and a bus stop opposite to get you around. We got a week ticket as worked out cheaper as 12 euros for a week or 2.60 for a day ticket (i think), we didnt bother going with the travel companies as so much cheaper to do it on your own.
As for the food we found it fine and we can all be fussy, always something we liked and always good and i never got cold food, yes the waiters cleared your plates a bit quickly but we werent in a paying restaurant so it didnt really bother me, was strange at first when they would take your plate when others on the table hadnt finished but after a couple of days i didnt really notice it. oh and yes the tea machine is awful but the hot chocolates ok from it and my mums friend brought her own tea bags so she just used the hot water and milk at breakfast the rest of the time she got a tea or coffee at the pool bar or lounge bar as they were freshly made not from a machine. Also you can get water cheap from the reception 6x 2litre bottles for 2.25 euros and the bring it to your room, otherwise you have to pay 1.50 euros at the bar for a small bottle. We found the pool area great could always get a sunbed even if you had to take it from the stacked up pile, and only 1 euro for a mattress all day, the pool was always clean and very refreshing (not too cold) in the 30 degree heat. I would recommend the first week in june or 2nd week to go as great weather, we went 11th to 21st june and weather was glorious not a cloud in the sky with a slight breeze was in the high 20's but the last few days got hotter and hotter in the low to mid 30's.
We liked this hotel and got a great deal for what we paid, the hotel staff were all friendly and very helpful, i think the people that found them rude must have not been very friendly to them as everyone we met were great. There were all different age groups staying in the hotel and each night the singers for the entertainment by the pool bar were all good singers even if not always my sort of music they were still good.
We went and saw a bit of malta whilst we were there as i said o the arriva buses rather than the sighteeing trips and saw some great places, we went to popeye village, valetta (make sure you go see the upper gardens in valetta amazing view of the three cities), sliema, and had a nice day out in all of them, when we came last time we went to the mosta dome also. This time we also went over to gozo the tours were offering 51 euros per person we did it on our own and paid about 5 euros for the ferry and 50 euros (between the 5 of us) for a taxi driver to take us round, this was great as we saw victoria, the church of our lady of t'pinu (highly recommended), had a lovely lunch in a restaurant by the sea, saw the roman salt pans etc)
All in all we had an amazing time and would recomend this hotel for people on a budget fr the all inclusive package, we were even allowed ice lollies, pots of ice cream and crisps in our package from the pool bar. If you want posh you need to pay through the nose at the hilton or fortina and there in very busy towns, qawra palace is in a nice location with the pool over looking the sea, quiet location but only minutes walk from the busier bugibba. Feel free to ask me any questions, my nephew works as a bus driver for arriva driving round malta everyday so we got to see lots of the island and got information from him wherever we went. I will try to remeber to add photos soon, when i have uploaded them.

Room Tip: If you want to pay the extra for a sea view do so but you will be above the road, if you just want t...
31 Thank jemsy1234

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,123)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
kent england
Reviewed June 22, 2012

read the mixed reviews on here but found the rooms and food were good, tried seabass and breem for the first time and it was lovely, had meat pie and liver first week, just like home cooking. room was a seaview and had spectactular views across pool and the bay. they were kept clean and sheets were changed nearly every day. bathroom could have been a bit larger but we managed. only complaints were having to pay for mattresses on loungers when all inclusive and the air conditioning was turned off at night so i was ill with the heat as i have breathing diffuculties, after 4 nights we asked for a fan but the manager said they hadnt any so i said id have to sleep on the balcony which horrified him, my hubby spied 2 fans not being used behind reception and asked for one of them, after humming and harring he gave us one but even with that on i had to sleep with the balcony doos open and move my bed so i could get air as it was so hot, the air conitioning wasnt working properly all they could do was to get it on the lowest temp but air was lukewarm from it.. thomas cook show airconditioning on from june to sept but they dont put it on fully until end of june. if wed have known we wouldnt have booked. we enjoyed our stay but wouldnt go back until air conditioning was sorted. expect a lot of noise if you have a seaview room from road below. staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: need a seaview room but noisy at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank manicm00
liverpool
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed all inclusive at this hotel at Easter for 1 week, with my partner and his 2 teenage children. Although Malta isn't really ideal for teenagers, we all enjoyed it. Food was fine, lots of choice, although for fussy teenagers who eat nothing but chips with every meal, it was a bit limited as most meals were rice, pasta and potato dishes. Us adults however enjoyed it. Loads of new and different things to try and the menu varied eah day, although I imagine for food would get repetative after 1 week. They did a wonderful lunch buffet on Easter Sunday, it was fantastic, and all the food was delicious. The hotel itself is very clean and I had no problems with it on this matter.

The only cons I would mention is that the drinks in the main bars were not cold enough and usually a bit flat. The pool bar was the best for ice cold beers and cokes.

Also, the staff were friendly enough but very miserable. I appreciate that they worked long hours as the guy who worked the pool bar during the day, did the main bar of a night.

Entertainment is more geared towards older guests, so teenagers got a little bit bored, so we explored the area most nights and drank in a few of the bars in Buggiba.

Definatley go on some trips while in Malta, Gozo was a good trip and the Easter parades we attended in the local village was brilliant, all pretty cheap too. If you want to go into Valetta, take a short walk to the bus terminus around the corner from the hotel, for a few euro, you get a bus ticket that allows you to hop on and off the buses. We took the bus to Valetta and spent a lovely day there, then on the way back we jumped off the bus at St Julians Bay and had a wander around some of the shops and bars there. Buses are regular and travel along the coastal road to Valetta and back and so you see a lot.

Good hotel, would definatley stay here again without any complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room if you are slightly claustrophobic, the internal rooms have tiny balconies t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank evertonl
North Yorkshire
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just returned from 10 days in the Qawra Palace. Was very disappointed with whole experience. Booked half board. Breakfast very limited with all drinks via vending machines. Food quite good but not always very hot. Paid extra for sea view but the fact that the main road runs between the hotel and the pool area (which was very good and clean) was disappointing. The worst thing of all was that there was "entertainment" every night at the poolside with was directly in front of our bedroom window. The music was horrendously loud with competition from the Sun & Sea Lido next door. Could have put up with this occasionally but it was every single night and carried on until midnight so if we wanted to go to bed before midnight no sleep was achieved. All in all, very disappointed as hotel supposed to be 4 star. The bedrooms were sparcely decorated but very, very clean with bed linen and towels changed every single day. All in all, not really a restful holiday.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank welltravelled021

Travelers are raving about these St. Paul's Bay hotels

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I don't usually trust trip adviser due to the constant flow of poor comments from some people, and I'm glad I never trusted it this time!! The hotel was clean and the rooms were (for the most part) very well maintained (the shower was a little temperamental!!) the staff were also extremely helpfully and knowledgable!! The only minor, and I mean minor downside was the view of the courtyard, but if your idea of a good holiday is to sit on a balcony for the entirety of it, maybe you shouldn't waste the money going on holiday to such beautiful country with so many things to do!

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank Leetow
West Sussex
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I went to this hotel on 2nd June for one week with my daughter, initially we were booked into a room which was on a side street with a partial sea view, but found the traffic noise too disruptive to our sleep so we asked if we could move. The staff were very good and gave us an alternative room which looked out onto an inner courtyard which and so we had no traffic noise.

There is a nightclub but it was only open on a Saturday night and as we arrived very late Saturday we missed out on this so we were disapointed. The other evenings live entertainment was held on the pool area which was a little breezy at times, I'm not sure what they do when it rains. On the Friday night there was a very good and we had quite a good dance as they were able to keep it going, some groups had too big a pause between songs or when they had quite a crowd up on the dance floor they changed the music completely so that the majority would sit down and a lot of times the music was aimed at couples wanting to waltz.

The food is from a buffet and is very english with a good variety, but it is not four star I would rate it as a three star. The fruit juice was a very poor quality and tasted watered, for breakfast there was scrabbled eggs, fried eggs, bacon (often burnt), sausages, cererals and a salad bar. Tea is served from machines which wasn't very nice.

We had half board, for dinner we had a choice of: soup for starter or salad bar then a choice of three main courses plus vegetables some of which were tinned carrots and one night there was sprouts which I did not try as I suspected they were not fresh but frozen. It was mainly the vegetables that let the dinners down, I found the meat especially the veal very tender and lovely to eat.

My daughter hated most of the food with the exception of the soups. I only found one dish which I could not eat which was a beef pie served at lunch time on our last day (we got a free lunch as we arrived too late for dinner on the first day). It was some sort of mince and mushroom, but the mince tasted strange to me although the pastry was very good. I love Italian food and I think they would be better putting more Italian dishes on the menu rather than mainly a british menu.

I found it irritating that no matter what time I had breakfast it was always a chore to find a cup although there were three areas to pick up cups they were always empty when I wanted a cup, staff just need to be more efficient and stock up the cups when getting low instead of waiting until they run out.

Sometimes the tablecloth was not clean when we sat down to eat. I know they are catering for a lot of people but they need to clear and clean tables more efficiently after each diner. Also the staff in the restaurant could have been more welcoming, You had to buy your wine before going into the restaurant queue to pay then queue to get served at the bar. Rather than get up for a second glass of wine I found it easier to buy a bottle and put the remainder in the fridge and then I would have a pre-dinner drink the following night.

Although stated indoor pool this is not open during the summer and the outside pool is a saltwater pool but there is no shower by the pool to rinse off after your swim.

Also stated tea making facilites in room but you only get this if you pay 20 euros deposit for the kettle and 2.70 euros each day for a supply of tea and milk. We bought our own milk and tea for the week it worked out cheaper.There was a fridge in the room which was useful for our juices, but it did not get quite cold enough for white wine. If you wanted a remote control for the TV a deposit was required. If you wanted a late check out on date of departure it was 25 euros. There was a balcony with two chairs on it not sure why they should have been so dirty and dusty, so I was not tempted to sit on them.

There is a cafe within the hotel which the food and drinks (actually got a teapot) was excellent, but of course you do have to pay for this. Also the service was very good a much more proffessional standard than that in the main restaurant.

It was not value for money for us (£700 each) as we were paying top rate as it was during the school holidays (my daughter is a school teacher). Which was not the hotels fault as I believe this price hike is due to the airlines. The following week we could have got the same holiday for half price the price.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper any room with a seaview I think will be noisy unless you go up to about t...
6 Thank myheartsindublin
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We have just got back from a 1 week all inclusive stay (10.06.2012) and really have no complaints despite other people's comments on here!
The staff were very friendly, all speak excellent English and were always happy to help answer questions about the area and getting around the island! The bar staff were always really nice and remembered what we ordered and were happy to have a laugh and the waiters in the restaurant were also helpful!

The food was nice quality and every night there was fish, meat, pasta and a salad bar. Probably not the most adventurous choices but all really nice and fresh (but big portions!) Breakfast was also nice with a lot of choice! The juice machines weren't great so that's probably the down side from the food! There is a pizzeria that you can book into for the all inclusive but I have to say the pizza wasn't the best although the pasta options looked amazing!

Our rooms were cleaned daily, yes they probably class as quite basic rooms but had everything you need in and a fridge at no extra charge so we could have cold drinks! The public area's of the hotel were always clean!

The swimming pool was nice and clean - it gets quite busy when there are a lot of kids around but so do all hotel pools!

I thought the hotel was in a great location, near the bus stop which literally gets you anywhere around the island in under an hour and the bus drivers were a lot more helpful than in England!

Gozo and Comino and well worth a visit as is Mdina and Rabat. If you are going to go to visit lots of places get a weeks bus ticket for about 13 euros it gets you as many bus trips as you can fit in for a week :)

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room don't go for the sea view as your room will also overlook the pool ar...
11 Thank sara2867
Topaz Hotel
#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa, Malta Golden Sands
Paradise Bay Resort Hotel

Been to Qawra Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!