“good break”

Dolmen Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Was at the Dolmen last week on a b&b basis . We requested a sea view which we got . Like another traveller we were given a room at the back on the fourth floor , which , although it was a short walk it wasn`t a hassle . The room was a self catering apartment with everything you could need in it .The tv was rubbish . It was really clean and kept clean daily .The breakfast had something for everyone , and how busy it was, is really when you decide to get up and go for it .I would like to say to the manager of this hotel that a few microwave ovens in the dining room to heat your food up if you like your meals hot would really be a good result for you .Some of the dining room staff could do with putting a smile on their face now and again and remember that we also have had to work to get to the place as well . The price of bar drinks are a bit pricey which usually makes people go out to other places . There are a few good supermarkets nearby if you want to buy snacks . The bus station is next to the hotel . Buy return tickets wich you can use to hop on and off buses . There are a lot of people trying to get you on day trips , especially along sliema promenade which was a pain in the ****. If you get the ferry to gozo , you get dropped off right at the ferry terminal and you pay for your ticket on the return trip . There are taxi drivers at the bus stop right outside the ferry terminal who are downright ignorant in trying to get you to go with them . Get on the bus going to Victoria , you need to buy return tickets as you cant use the ones that are bought at the bus station for use on Gozo . Tickets are definitely not expensive and the ferry was only about 9 euros return for 2 people . Malta is a place you need to make your own mind up about . Like a lot of places there are run down areas and empty bars , shops etc . I would go back for a short break and would use this hotel again on the basis that it was a nice place to stay and the island is easy to get about on .

3  Thank sassylassMethilFife
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear SassylassMethilFife,

Firstly, allow me on behalf of the Dolmen team to show our sincere appreciation for making time to share with fellow travellers your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that we have also taken note of your suggestions as these help us to improve further our services and facilities.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dolmen Resort and we do look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, and in the eventuality I am inviting you to contact us directly.

There are newer reviews for Dolmen Resort Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My third trip to Malta and I stayed at this hotel for two nights to attend a conference. The conference facilities are good but it's not really a business hotel. The main dining room is currently undergoing building work so the spectacular main conference hall is being used as a temporary dining room, but we were using a side-room on this occasion and we had a good event.

My room was enormous, with four beds and loads of space. It would have been ideal for a family trip in summer with two or three energetic kids but it was too large and cold for a single traveller. Although if a family had been staying they would have had to squash all their clothes into a standard wardrobe and share the single chair. The finishes are starting to look a little tired, especially in the bathroom, but everything worked and the bed was very comfortable. You have to put your room key into a slot for the electricity to work which I suppose saves on energy but it meant that when I came back into the room, particularly at night, it was freezing as there was no way of leaving the heating on.

It was too dark and cold to work in the room, and there was no kettle to make tea or coffee, so I worked downstairs in the cafe, which was nice, with lovely views of the bay (and the very rough sea on this occasion). There is no business centre, just a couple of PCs in a lobby, permanently occupied by holidaymakers checking their e-mails, so you can't work there. Hotel wifi is chargeable (which would have ruled out choosing this hotel for myself) so I used my own.

The hotel was packed with senior citizens from all over Europe and breakfast was the usual undignified buffet scrum, although there was a good choice.

The weather was terrible - wind, rain and hail - which kept me inside the hotel, but that wasn't a problem for a business trip.
The lack of free wifi, tea and coffee making facilities in the room and no business centre mean that I would not choose this hotel for myself as a business traveller unless being in that location was crucial. There are better hotels on Malta for business travellers.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WilliamsFamilyUk

Dear WilliamsFamilyUk,

We reviewed your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. Rest assured that we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get from past guests.

We do thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Living as we do in the mountains of Austria, we’re always looking for places where we can escape the long and arduous winters there. We’d always considered a visit to Malta; however, somehow it always seemed a bit pricey to us
This winter, though, we found a nice package deal from Neckermann/Thomas Cook. It included the roundtrip flight, transfers, a 2-week stay with half-pension, and the promise of a room with a view.

We had a smooth late-afternoon flight on Air Malta from Vienna, which included a tasty vegetarian snack (thanks for that, Air Malta; it tided us over till the next morning), and a smooth and informative van trip (thanks to our knowledgeable and friendly driver) from the airport to the Dolmen’s doorstep.

As we entered the hotel through the revolving doors, we were immediately impressed with the gleaming marble floors and unusual varicolored ceiling. After we had taken care of the formalities at the reception, we were handed our key card for the room with view. (We had arrived too late for the evening meal and were informed by the gentleman manning the reception that as compensation we’d be entitled to a lunch during our stay. Thanks for that, Dolmen!)

The room turned out to have a spectacular view of St. Paul’s Bay and beyond. And the fridge was well-stocked with a variety of libations; however, after the flight we were pretty dehydrated and only interested in the bottled water. (Unlike in Vienna, in Malta it’s probably not a good idea to drink the tap water.) After that, it didn’t take long before we were ready to “hit the hay”; and, fortunately, the beds did a good imitation of that particular material.

However, as it turned out, the room was really too large for us. (I know, people usually complain about rooms being too small.) And the countertop in the bathroom was the longest—and widest—we’d ever encountered (if you’ll pardon the pun), outside of Las Vegas, that is. Shaving for me, and applying cosmetics for my wife, required a long stretch and a lot of patience. So the next morning we asked at the reception if we could change to a smaller room. “No problem,” said the personable young lady at the reception. “Take a look at this one,” she said, handing us the key card. “It’s on the same floor, just down the hall, and also has a nice view over the bay.”

That room turned out to be a much better fit for us. And, as was the first room, it was spotlessly clean and featured the same dreamy beds and bedding. The bathroom countertop was also made to order for us. However, the bath/shower combination was a bit of a bother. The tub has only a half-door to deter the spray, and one needs to be very careful where one points that spray or one risks some minor flooding. We did learn to live with it during our stay, however; although the guest would have been better served if the designers had employed a sliding door or even made provision for a shower curtain.

Also, the shower heads seem to differ from room to room; the one in our first room featured a nice uniform spray pattern, while the one in the second room refused adjustment, and only came straight down in a pencil-thin stream, making for a rather shivery shower experience. And if you closed the bathroom door all the way, or left it just slightly ajar, the mirror quickly fogged itself into invisibility. Aha, we thought, there must be a vent switch here somewhere; however, a search failed to reveal it.

One thing we should mention about our room: We were never disturbed by noise from other rooms, or by street noise (we were on the third floor, overlooking the dolmen excavation); although in the main season, things are most likely quite a bit livelier than they are in the winter.

And now a word about the food: I’m a vegetarian, and my wife is one most of the time (mainly on my account, I must admit), but still eats meat and fish once in a while. She found the meat/fish main courses to be of varying quality—some of it very good; some of it kind of bland, and that went for the sauces also.

I myself was a bit disappointed the first few days we were there because there were hardly any vegetarian main courses. However, I did find quite a few side dishes from which I could cobble up a pretty good meal. After a while, though, I got a bit tired of that and asked one of the waiters if the chef could fix up a vegetarian main course for me. A short time later, out came a very nice plate of warm pastry shells filled with mushrooms and vegetables in a tasty Asian-type sauce. This went on for another few nights, with the waiter always asking if I’d like to special order from the kitchen. A few of the resultant dishes were pretty unusual and quite good; however, a couple of others weren’t that great, such as a pizza so smothered in mozzarella it had to be sent back.

Towards the end of the first week, though, I began to see more vegetarian choices in the main food line, as well as a variety of very nice pasta dishes in an area away from the main line. Perhaps my fussiness caused the kitchen to check their cook books for a few more meatless dishes, I don’t know.

So, all in all, aside from the couple of exceptions already noted, I found the food to be quite good. The soups (there were two big piping-hot kettles per night) were very good, and there was almost always a vegetarian choice, if not two. And as already mentioned, there were plenty of side dishes; good things were done with potatoes (tasty seasoned wedges, and home fries—as they’re called in the U.S.—for example) and also with veggies like broccoli and cauliflower in a delicious cheese sauce. And the desserts were, as they say, to die for—creamy cakes, delicious pies, all comparable to what you’d find in a good Viennese Konditorei. It was hard not to go back for seconds…or even thirds. (Unlike a lot of people, I’m trying to gain weight, so that wasn’t a problem for me.)

As for breakfast, it included pretty much what you’d expect: Cereal, eggs, bread and rolls. The scrambled eggs were okay, although they had a kind of a gray tinge to them that was kind of off-putting; and the fried eggs were always floating in a sea of. . .I hate to use the word “grease,” but that’s what it looked like. As a result, after the first few mornings, we stuck to the boiled eggs, assuming nothing much could go wrong with them. The muesli and corn flakes were always accompanied by little bowls of sesame seeds and raisins as “sprinklers,” which I thought was a nice touch. (However, we saw a nary a banana, which we felt was a bit of a breakfast oversight; although there was a huge bowl of several types of fresh fruit, all nicely sliced and diced, along with smaller bowls of canned fruit.)

Kudos to the baker, though: the bread and rolls were delicious—and always fresh and chewy; and there was a wide choice of white and whole-grain loaves. An unusual breakfast treat were the warm ricotta-filled pastry shells called pastizzi, which you find in cafes and restaurants all over Malta. The small croissants were also quite tasty.

A minor quibble: Once in a while, the tags identifying the dishes were missing, or they didn’t identify all of the ingredients, which made it a little hard for me, as a vegetarian, to tell exactly what I would be getting. This seemed to be especially true of the salads.

A word about the dining room in general: It’s BIG. However, when we were there the latter part of January, there was a large seminar in progress, which must have had at least 150 or so participants. As a result, if you didn’t get down early for meals, it was often difficult to find a table. Also, the noise level tended to be so high that it was hard to hear yourself think. And if you were only two people, one person always had to protect the table from usurpers while the other fought their way through the serving line.

Suggestion to Management: Maybe when there are large groups in the hotel, perhaps they could be seated in a special area, set off from the regular hotel guests; or maybe the meal times could be staggered and people let into the dining room in stages, which would make it easier to find a table and to move through the serving line.

Our compliments to the waiters: Drink orders were filled quickly, and “dead” plates never remained on the table long. And a special thank you to Oliver, who seemed to be everywhere at once at breakneck speed, taking drink orders, clearing tables, and just being friendly in general.

My wife happened to have a birthday while we were at the Dolmen; however, for some reason it was overlooked by whoever noted such events. We knew that birthdays were recognized, as that evening flowers were presented to someone at an adjoining table who had the same birthday as my wife. The next day at dinner, I mentioned in passing to Oliver that her birthday had been overlooked. He obviously felt bad about it, because a few minutes later, he came back with a flower and a large piece of cake with a candle in the middle. He proceeded to light the candle (which turned out to have a sparkler on it), and then sing Happy Birthday to my wife, who was, I must admit, a bit overwhelmed by all the attention.

The reception staff also deserves special praise. They were always friendly and ready to help, no matter what our question or request. As an example, my wife came down with a mild case of bronchitis during our stay. When it looked like it was beginning to get a little more serious, we asked at the reception if a doctor could be called. Katienne, the young lady “manning” the desk, picked up the phone immediately, contacted a doctor, and within the hour he was in our room treating my wife and prescribing medication for her. Thanks again, for your quick action, Katienne! And thanks to the rest of the reception staff for their courtesy and attentiveness to our questions and requests. Magdalena and Malika were especially helpful when it came to fielding our questions about the sights in Malta, and were always ready with a smile and a friendly hello whenever we passed the reception.

Speaking of sights, we highly recommend a visit to The National War Museum in Valletta. It focuses mainly on the defense of Malta during World War II. The exhibits are extremely interesting, and feature extensive documentation and photos (as well as aircraft and vehicles), weaponry, uniforms, a reconstruction of a small bomb shelter, and on and on. And I imagine most people have already heard about Mdina before they even arrive in Malta. It is a truly beautiful walled town; however, there’s a small museum there (just to the right as you enter through the main gate) called the Mdina Dungeons. Most people seemed to pass right by without even noticing it on their way into Mdina.The wax figures depict very graphically man’s inhumanity to man; so be prepared for some very chilling scenes.

There’s also a very nice little café/restaurant in Mdina called Fontanella. They have a small menu featuring pizzas, snacks, salads, and desserts at very reasonable prices—and the view over Malta from the ramparts is superb. However, if you’re there on a weekend, be prepared for a long line for the rest rooms.

In Valletta, we always headed for the Café Cordina on Republic Street when we got the urge for something sweet with our cup of tea. I’ve never seen such an extensive dessert menu: There must have been 20 or 30 mouth-watering choices, all accompanied by photos. Plus, the place just oozes with Viennese-style old-world charm, with its wood paneling and heavy beam ceilings.

MISCELLANY
Fitness room—We didn’t use the gym; however, we did take a quick look at it. There was a universal machine, and I seem to have noted rowers, bikes, a treadmill, and maybe a stepper or two—and most of the equipment looked serviceable.

The bar—I’m afraid it wasn’t really our thing. There’s a big-screen TV, which usually seemed to be tuned to some loud music or a soccer game. The one time we visited, the entertainment wasn’t, to be honest, that entertaining.

Café—This is a great place to relax and have a cup of tea or a cappuccino; plus, you can add another display case of mouth-watering desserts to your list. They also have soups, pizzas, and assorted snacks, which include the ubiquitous pastizzi (at 70 cents each, you could put together a tasty—and very reasonable—light lunch for youself, with maybe a soup as a starter). And you get a great view of the ever-changing weather scene in the bay, thanks to the panoramic windows. (During one visit, the blue sky and puffy white clouds suddenly turned dark and foreboding, and hail, of all things, began pelting against the windows! None of the Maltese we questioned could ever recall having seen such a weather event before.)

Public areas—All of the public areas in the reception area are pleasant places to relax. We spent a lot of time in the comfy chairs and couches just to the right of the reception. They’re a great place to chat and watch the comings and goings around the revolving doors.

The casino—If you’re a gambler—slots, cards, roulette…or whatever; or if you just want a change of scenery from the hustle and bustle in the hotel itself, the casino is a great place to get away from it all. It’s just a short stroll down the hallway past the room where the travel reps hang out. An elevator then takes you down to the casino, the outside entrance to which is on the street level. If you want to play, you’ll first need to have your picture taken and a credit card-sized pass made up to get by the security at the entrance. There’s another advantage to having a strategically placed casino like this one: It can sometimes (or maybe I should say, a lot of the time) get very windy, and wet, around the hotel—and in Malta in general. There’s a bank machine right outside the front entrance to the casino. If you need cash, you need only step out the casino door, make your withdrawal, and step back in.

If you’ve read this far, you’ve probably gotten the impression that we enjoyed our stay at the Dolmen. If so, you’d be right. The hotel is spotless throughout, the staff are friendly and always ready to help, the service is with the proverbial smile, and the food is, with the couple of exceptions noted, very good.

Thanks for the memories, Dolmen. We’ll be back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MariaVienna

Dear MariaVienna,

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to place such a fantastic review about the Dolmen Resort Hotel.

Our aim is to make your stay with us as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, so we are very pleased to see that you were satisfied with the service of our staff and all of the facilities we have to offer each and every guest.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Resort and on behalf of the rest of the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

With warm wishes,

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have just returned this evening from a week in Malta, we stayed in this hotel for our last two nights. We booked a sea view room and we were allocated a time share apartment on the 2nd Floor. This apartment was around the back of the hotel and a long walk along all the corridors of the hotel to get to anything. We felt we were really just put anywhere and nobody really cared!! We were not given any instructions from the hotel staff about the times for breakfast or dinner or the location of the dining room.The sea view from the apartment was okay but unfortunately the apartment badly needs up dating and the fridge and the TV were only fit for a skip!! The apartment waslocated near the Casino and it was extremely noisy. We had booked half board in all three hotels that we booked in Malta and this was by far the worst selection of meals both breakfasts and dinners that we had in our week long holiday. The orange juice tasted like watered down Mi Wadi and the fruit was tinned fruit with chopped apples added. We did not find any of the staff to be friendly and definitely they should send their dining room staff to The Ramla Bay Hotel for training. For a four star hotel there is no free wifi available anywhere in this hotel!!.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the main hotel!!!
2  Thank FourCrazyIrish
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Wanting some spring sunshine we decided on a visit to Malta. But which area? Sliema looked too built up so we decided on St.Paul's Bay. Friends on Trip Advisor have made The Dolmen the number 1 hotel in the area and rightly so. The location is superb, overlooking the Bay. We had a fabulous sea view room [worth paying the extra for] large bedroom with whirlpool bath, lounge & small kitchen. We stayed half board. The breakfasts had everything you wanted from yogurts,fruit & cereals, to cold platters & hot food. The evening meals were a delight. Our first evening was a Maltese theme and we enjoyed many local dishes. Especially the grilled game fish. The Buffet service suited my wife and I as we are modest eaters and enjoy a wide variety of food.
The staff are very friendly and efficient. Everything went smoothly from checking in to checking out. The rooms were cleaned every day and the hotel was kept clean and tidy. As it was early March I was surprised how full & busy the hotel was. A testimony to the popularity of the hotel.
I would certainly recommend this hotel.
Malta is not every-ones cup of tea. We enjoyed our stay and traveled the length & breadth of the island by Boris' Bendy buses [Euro 2.60 day travel card] They do shake, rattle & jolt every bone in your body, and go from A to B via XY &Z] Do visit Valletta,Mdina & Marsa lloxx, However, the Tarxiem Temple was disappointing.

We went by ferry to Gozo and hired bikes from Joe at the Victoria garage for 5 euros and cycled to the coast at Dwerja..
Malta has little natural beauty, I would describe it as a barren rock covered in concrete blocks.It is an island lost in time, tradition and towering Baroque churches.
We enjoyed our visit but have to say it is not a place we would return to although many people do.
I now understand why they call it the "Marmite " island - you either love it or hate it.
I think it was good to try it.

Room Tip: High floor, sea view
13  Thank WheelPhill
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear WheelPhill,

Firstly, allow me on behalf of the Dolmen team to show our sincere appreciation for making time to share with fellow travelers your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

We are pleased to read that you found the hotel to be clean, well equipped and overall impressive.

Thank you once again for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just back from 3 weeks at the Dolmen,and it was an excellent stay. Brilliant room with sea view, attentive staff, good variety of quality food.When sun shines, tanning by the pool is no. 1 choice, when it does not there is an excellent Spa and of course the Casino! Well situated for all tourist locations the Dolmen has many repeat customers......I am about to book for next year...the 9th year running! I recommend it as consistently good value.

Paul L.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear PAUL L,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Dolmen Resort and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Malta!

With our warm regards

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wfe and I stayed at the Dolmen for 3 weeks in February/March. We asked for a room on a higher floor and got a room on the 6th floor which had tea and coffee facilities and free in room safe.This very large (2 bedroomed )room had been modernised and had wonderful views over St Pauls Bay.Very clean with very comfortable beds.All areas spotlessly clean.The food in the restaurant was very good with excellent choice.We were made welcome at all times by very friendly and efficient staff.We would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DAVID H

Dear DAVID H,

Thank you so much for the favorable comments that you have kindly placed following your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

We certainly do our utmost to provide good service and quality facilities so your satisfaction is ours too.

We hope to welcome you to Malta once again and thank you once again for your high recommendations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
#1 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
InterContinental Malta
InterContinental Malta
#12 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!