“Great holiday.”

Dolmen Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here in October 2012 for 10 days and had a great time.

I emailed the hotel with a request of a high floor, refurbished room and the room we got had the most amazing balcony right on the top floor, with a free safe - ok it was right below the noisy aircon unit for all, but the balcony was a big as the room!! The Spa was amazing - I love the sun, but would have happily spent the entire holiday down there!! We did wander up to the MacDonalds on the evenings to collect our emails via their free wifi. The reception staff were fantastic with all our questions. My only grip was the 'battle of dinner time' (nearly same to blows with another guest who refused to move from a table where we had placed drinks and starters but the staff stepped in) we soon learnt that the later sitting was much quieter. There were loads of tables already reserved to groups, which made it abit difficult to find a quiet table for two! I felt bit sorry for the staff as they were just doing their best given the situation. The food was good, not too rich - that was made up for by the desserts so bad for the waistline!

We really enjoyed the position of the hotel with its easy access to the bus depot and promenade - regularly took walks to St Pauls Bay for a great view back over the resort. Got the buses to Valletta, Medina, Golden Bay and Mosta - they were so easy to use.
Used Mermaid for boat trip to Gozo with a stop off in Comino, but were able to swim in a quieter lagoon then many were dropped off at Blue Lagoon which was crazy busy, whilst we traveled onto Gozo. Definitely recommend Mermaid as they were the first non aggressive sales reps - they would only take a deposit as they couldnt guarantee a trip with the weather.
In Valetta used Luzzu Cruises for harbour tour, really good friendly bunch.

Really enjoyed our stay in Malta and would recommend this hotel to any with the warning of the dining room battle.

Room Tip: High floor, refurbished with a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HayleyM73
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear HayleyM73,

On behalf of the Dolmen team, I would like to primarily thank you for making the time to kindly post a great review on Trip Advisor.

Rest assured that as a team we certainly engage in doing our utmost to make each and every guests' stay comfortable and pleasant, irrespective of their purpose of travelling.

So we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service and the location of the hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Dolmen four times (last visit November 2012) in the last two years and each visit has proved to be most enjoyable.
The hotel entrance is very inviting and once inside the foyer it is very spacious and the reception staff are helpful and polite.
The hotel is very conveniently situated and is merely a three minute walk to the bus terminal, from which you can access all parts of the island and the neighbouring island of Gozo.
The main dining room is an attractive circular shape and provides a large variety of food, both hot and cold. The dessert selection at dinner is quite mouth-watering and we found the waiters very attentive.
On each of our visits we have stayed in a sea view room providing a very pleasing view over St.Paul's bay, with quite stunning evening sunsets. The rooms have always been very well presented and kept very clean by equally pleasant staff, who are always ready to help with any reasonable request.
As we are very avid walkers and prefer to be outside as much as possible we haven't participated or explored any of the other facilities the hotel provides.
We have always found the area very safe in the evenings and we will be returning to the Dolmen in February 2013 for our fifth stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Max U
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear Max U,

Thank you so much for the favorable comments that you have kindly placed following your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

We certainly do our utmost to provide good service and quality facilities so your satisfaction is ours too.

We hope to welcome you to Malta once again and thank you once again for your high recommendations.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from 23-12 till 05-1. I must say that I enjoyed my stay very much. A week before my stay I contacted the hotel because I wanted a renovated room on one of the higher floors (I booked a standard room). The request was granted. The check-in procedure was swift and I got room 510 which was very nice. I liked the modern decor. The bed was comfortable and I had a big tv. The minibar was fully stocked but it did not work. The bathroom was also renovated and clean. You could see at the drain of the toilet and at the tap in shower that they were a bit sloppy but this was not a concern for me although I think that over time mold and dirt will accumulate there... I had a balcony and a little working area. The room was a bit narrow, you had limited space between the bed and the desk but I had no problem with it since I was a single traveler. An older person could have problems with that. Breakfast was good with a fairly wide selection and good service. The staff there is hard working. Cafe Delos, the coffee shop inside the hotel, serves good food for reasonable prices. right now the interior looks tired but the management told me that it will be renovated during spring. Bugibba, the town where the hotel is situated, is a bit sleepy. There is a promenade with a few shops and restaurants but that's about it. My stay was during the off-season, I guess in summer it is busier. Saint Julians with it's busy night life is only 20 minutes away. Buses run regularly and are inexpensive. At the end of my stay I filled in a questionnaire and they did came back on that. It is nice to see that your feedback and suggestions are valued and taken seriously. Check-out was also fast but I felt that I didn't get a proper good bye. The gentleman didn't ask me if I had a nice stay and he didn't say good bye , have a nice journey or something like that. But in overall I am quite pleased with the hotel, especially considering the low rate (23 euro/night, Bed and Breakfast) I paid. If I return to Malta (and I will), this hotel will be my first choice when they are offering a competitive rate. I would advise to everybody to do the same.

Room Tip: High floor definitely. It is up to you if want to pay the supplement for a sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear reiziger1992,

Firstly, allow me on behalf of the Dolmen team to show our sincere appreciation for making time to share with fellow travelers your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that we have also taken note of your suggestions as these help us to improve further our services and facilities.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dolmen Resort and we do look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, and in the eventuality I am inviting you to contact us directly.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel in my opinion was not all that you would expect from a 4 star hotel. The bathroom was dated. The lift doors didn't fully open properly. The breakfast wasn't amazing.

The location would suit mature people as that seemed to be the general clientele. Not a lot going on nearby in January.

The price of the accommodation was excellent tho. Especially as the breakfast was included in the rate.

Wifi is expensive and parking is not free.

I wouldn't personally stay here again but I wouldn't go as far as tell others not to. Each to their own. A well presented hotel generally just not what I have got used to when seeing a 4 star rating.

Maybe if I was sending my grandmother she would like this place ok.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Jimmypirate,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your constructive comments.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the areas where we have fallen short of your expectations. This is certainly not a situation we are happy with, since we strive to maintain the highest possible levels of standards and facilities in order to meet the expectations and desires of our guests.

Indeed your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us improve further the service that we have to offer.

Thank you once again for your feedback. Your constructive comments will only assist us in continually improving on the services we have to offer to our clients.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having holidayed in various parts of Europe, America and Canada over the past 50 years, it was always going to be a difficult choice for the destination to stay for our Golden Wedding Anniversary. We had visited St. Julians in 1992 and liked Malta. Taking all things into consideration, we booked an advertised holiday at the Dolmen Resort Hotel and Spa and, after an initial disappointment, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The room first allocated to us was disappointing to say the least as the dull balcony seemed to be joined to the roof of the Delios Cafe underneath and one could only have a sea-view by stretching one's neck and front view was over the aforesaid roof. On contacting a very "smiley" receptionist, we were offered a room on the 6th floor (the highest floor) and the contrast was amazing ... a panoramic sea view over the whole bay and down to the pools and garden area, tea/coffee making facilities, a fridge, safe, etc.- a beautiful room even although it took 148 steps along the semi-circular corridor to reach it!
Some of the rooms must look over to the street and to the bus terminus so it would be wise to book a sea facing room on one of the higher floors, especially in Winter to catch the sun. The indoor pool was small but alright after the exodus of people who had been staying for Xmas/New Year. We were surprised that one of the outdoor pools wasn't heated for Winter as this would have been the icing on the cake for us as keen swimmers. However, it was nice to laze on the pool-side loungers in January! We found nothing to complain about at meal-times and appreciated the tickets which explained each dish - the desserts were so mouth-watering.
The nightly entertainment was very good, perhaps because most of the duos sang songs of the 60s (our era) and we enjoyed watching the sequence/line dancing. The hotel lobby is a great place to sit and watch the world go by and we found the reception staff very happy to help. Likewise restaurant, bar staff and cleaners all had a smile for us. This review is for a stay in January .... for us, we think we might not enjoy the facilities as much when the hotel is busy in the height of the season (likewise the small busy town area with lots of pubs and music venues) but that is the same with every coastal resort in Summer. The touts were out and about offering discounts, trips, etc. and are a bit of a "pest". If you wan't to explore Malta, use the local buses (only 2.60 euros for a day ticket and 12 euros for a weekly ticket) - amazing!
Driving is on left side of road as in UK but beware some of the erratic Maltese drivers!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 5th or 6th floor facing sea.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mitzipeb
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Mitzipeb,

Thank you so much for the favourable comments that you have kindly placed following your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

As this was our first Christmas away we were slighly anxious. However there was no need for this the hotel was very good with great amenities. Very clean and the staff couldn't do enough to help and were very supportive. Great choice at meal times and room very clean. Only problem would have liked tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Will be visiting again in the near future.
thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemarie M
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Rosemarie M,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Dolmen Resort and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Malta!

With our warm regards

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The dolmen hotel in Buggiba (st Paul's bay) Malta is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at! This is the second time in 3 months we have been to malta, the first time we went the hotel we stayed at was a disaster yukkkk ( never go there again! ) we went out to see family also to celebrate my husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary.we booked a superior room at the Dolmen but were upgraded free of charge to a suite also we were presented with a free bottle of champers!! Mm ( thank you hotel Dolmen) Hotel,,food,staff and location spot on!!!it was fantastic,so good in fact we are seriously considering going out again round about Easter!
Thanks again hotel Dolmen for a fantastic holiday Liz nd Eric timney x

Room Tip: All rooms are spot on!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
#3 of 33 in Saint Julian's

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!