“Best ever holiday”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Maryport, United Kingdom
“Best ever holiday”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The dolmen hotel in Buggiba (st Paul's bay) Malta is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at! This is the second time in 3 months we have been to malta, the first time we went the hotel we stayed at was a disaster yukkkk ( never go there again! ) we went out to see family also to celebrate my husbands birthday and our wedding anniversary.we booked a superior room at the Dolmen but were upgraded free of charge to a suite also we were presented with a free bottle of champers!! Mm ( thank you hotel Dolmen) Hotel,,food,staff and location spot on!!!it was fantastic,so good in fact we are seriously considering going out again round about Easter!
Thanks again hotel Dolmen for a fantastic holiday Liz nd Eric timney x

Room Tip: All rooms are spot on!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabethtimney
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Elizabethtimney,

Thank you so much for the favourable comments that you have kindly placed following your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

We certainly do our utmost to provide good service and quality facilities so your satisfaction is ours too.

We hope to welcome you to Malta once again and thank you once again for your high recommendations.

Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
malta
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Me and my family we go every year to have lunch on new year.Every year the menu is always great and inviting. The food is well explained. There is always a great variety to choose from.Starting with the first course we always find it difficult from where to start. The main course there is also a variety of meat and fish and a panach of vegetables.All sorts of sweets and cheese and biscuits. The waiting staff were always ready to help and explain some items from the menu. I recomend this hotel and the restaurant to everyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alf09Malta
Reviewed January 6, 2013

stayed 5 nights mid December, staff helpfull, breakfast was vast but boring, our room 557 sea view had great sunset view, bus station 2-3 min walk, prominade close and restraunts and bars close by. 35 mins to airport, the whole area was quiet due to low season and some places were shut but i am told it gets very busy in high season, We would stay here again in same part of hotel because we know what to expect (can not fault the room). We also found the area safe in the evenings. the only minus is they charge 11 euro for the key to your room safe, wifi was not working and they charge for inhouse pc about 3 euro per hour, we would go to McDonalds and use their free wifi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SAMMY087
Dear SAMMY087,

Firstly, allow me on behalf of the Dolmen team to show our sincere appreciation for making time to share with fellow travellers your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that we have also taken note of your suggestions as these help us to improve further our services and facilities.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dolmen Resort and we do look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, and in the eventuality I am inviting you to contact us directly.

Dublin
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed in the Dolmen for 5 nights, it was a lovely resort with everything you could possibly need nearby. the pool area's are lovely there and the staff are very friendly & helpful.
We will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babydoll2010
Dear Babydoll2010,

We read your review and are very happy to know you find out that you enjoyed your time at the Dolmen Resort and we do hope to see your return again very soon for your next stay in Malta!

With our warm regards
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stay at a lot of hotels and use TripAdvisor many times. On this occasion, I feel TripAdvisor let me down as I cannot understand how this hotel manages to keep it's rating where it is! However I should have done my research more, but felt I should give my view!

General
The hotel is an average 3* at best, but more likely a good 2*. The location in my opinion is extremely tacky (concrete jungle of hotels and fryup restaurants) but that is my opinion, some might like it. The primary let down is the very dated communal areas, bars, restaurant, corridors and outdoor areas. They just don't live up to 4* standards in any country.

Rooms
The main bedrooms have recently been renovated and are most certainly the best part of this hotel. They are generally clean and modern. However, the bathroom has maintained it's dated feel with old fixtures but it's an acceptable standard. The hairdryers are however completely useless, I'd bring your own.

Restaurant/Breakfast
As stated, the restaurant (being in a communal area) is extremely dated. The food served at breakfast consists of a continental and full english variety, but the quality is poor. The eggs are so pale it's clear they are of the lowest/cheapest quality available. "Sausages" are like tinned hotdogs, and the bacon is extremely greasy. The fruit section appears to be tinned fruit, again clearly of a low quality. Coffee was dreadful, I mean it - I have low standards but I couldn't drink it. The fruit juice was essentially squash with a few "bits" to make it seem real. On the positive side, the breads and croissants were fresh, and the quantities available were plentiful.

Staff/Service
As noted with other reviews, there does unfortunately seem to be an issue with some of the staff. I am sure it's not true of all, but there does seem to be a problem as I wasn't the only one. Up until the last day I had had no issues at all and would have likely left a 2 or 3/5 review, but one day when I had parked near the hotel in a parking space I needed assistance to get a car moved that had parked behind me and blocked entry.
It transpired the unmarked spaces (including the disabled space) right near the hotel entrance are actually for the exclusive use of hotel management. Us guests are meant to know this of course, despite there being no signs at all. The receptionist on duty told me this in a very condescending way along with the facial expressions to go with it as if I was meant to know this! The spaces aren't even marked, nor do I think it's acceptable staff are parking in a disabled space which might need to be used. The only reason I was forced to use one of these "exclusive" staff places was because the carpark barrier wasn't working (again, it's extremely dated!). This experience left a bitter taste as to how they deal with customer service issues. It's a small issue, I dread to think how they deal with real/bigger problems!

Summary
Dolman provides a cheap stay, but that's what it is, cheap. I personally don't feel it's justified of it's rating at all, sorry.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jake S
Essex
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Just returned from our trip to the Dolmen over New Year... we upgraded to seaview rooms and have to say it was so worth the money, the room was excellent, beds comfortable and the view was stunning. Only concern was there no lock on the bathroom door, but I suppose I know what my husband looks like!! No tea making facilities though, so take your own kettle, cups and tea bags. The breakfast was brilliant, choice and amount unlimited, hot and cold buffet, bread, salads, fruit. More importantly the tea was excellent. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. Gym was small and satisfactory for purpose, as was the swimming pool, five strokes and you were at the other end, but enjoyable as were the spa and sauna. We stayed for the New Year celebrations in the hotel, which was rather expensive, even after they reduced the cost, buffet food again which I could not fault, but others did (some people do!) and the entertainment was excellent. All in all I would recommend staying at the hotel and the weather for December was amazing, sunbathed and the pool facilities were again very good. Do not hesitate in booking this hotel, but book a seaview if possible. Malta was lovely too.

Room Tip: Seaview is best.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maxine51
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Maxine51,

On behalf of the Dolmen team, I would like to primarily thank you for making the time to kindly post a great review on Trip Advisor.

Rest assured that as a team we certainly engage in doing our utmost to make each and every guests' stay comfortable and pleasant, irrespective of their purpose of travelling.

So we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service and the location of the hotel.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in November 2012, in a seaview room. The location was pleasant and the promenade and view beautiful.

I am afraid but for a 4 star hotel the accommodation was very basic and they no longer offer tea or coffee making facilities in the room. The bathroom was clinically under decorated and the bath and shower belonged in a 2 start hotel. We were not greeted once with a smile and this was a complaint that many other guests also shared with us. Having read about the friendliness of the waiters, we went to the hotel with high hopes and did not experience any of the warmth - maybe it was the low season staff!

Food was an absolute nightmare. The was no understanding of a vegetarian diet and everything was cooked with meat and meat juices. Although we were asked to order vegetarian dishes separately, I was astonished when a watery, sloppy mushroom risotto appeared in 5 minutes after I ordered it on the first night. Allowing a second chance I ordered vegetarian cannelloni on the second night, which appeared again in about 5 minutes and consisted of crusty pasta sheet, cold filling and a dry dollop of red sauce! Very disappointing stay and did not live up to expectations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mona S
Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly allow us to thank you for your candid feedback which is very much appreciated and has certainly warranted our sincere attention in order to fully address the issues you feel necessary to highlight.

Guests' comments are always taken into deep consideration to constantly help us improve our services. Rest assured that all your comments have been well noted and investigated with the respective managers.

We would like to further express our gratitude to you for your continued support in providing this feedback.

We sincerely hope that we will be given the opportunity to welcome you back.

Always at your service,

#6 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#4 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!