“Ok but good value to be honest”

Dolmen Resort Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in St. Paul's Bay
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a good few days away from the cold weather in England but I can really only say the hotel was ok, the resort was good and the transport around Malta was fantastic!

Malta
This was our first time in Malta, if you love the fact you can shop in DP, Burtons and M&S when on holiday, like that everyone speaks English and all signs are in English, that you can get an All Day Breakfast,Steak and Chips or a Pizza on every corner this will be the holiday for you. My Husband and I prefer traditional villages, local food etc so was a shock for us so for that reason would not return to Malta in a hurry. I do think this is a great place for your first holiday abroad or for the elderly. There is a great bus service around Malta and would highly recommend the Gozo and North Malta bus tours

Location
Great location within walking distance of all the bars ,Restaurants, the sea and local bus route. Only 20 minutes drive from the airport in a taxi.

Hotel
I must admit we only paid 50 Euros a night B&B which we cannot complain about at all, if I had paid more I would have been really dissapointed.The pictures of the rooms on the website did not reflect our room at all,the room was very dated with dirty blue bed throws and a dirty blue sofa however the bed sheets,the rest of the room and bathroom were very clean.We also had a great view of the sea with a large red balcony. The balcony did not have a sun canopy so it could get very hot even in October.

Public areas,Restuarants and bars in the hotel
Reception
The reception is ok, again dated with leather sofas that would look better suited in a house, it really lacked any wow factor or design concept at all. The reception team were the biggest assett, always helpful with a smile.
The main buffet restuarant was awful, we paid 10 euros each for the first night of our stay which was an american theme but never went back. Your room number is checked on arrival and then that was it! free for all to find a table. I am a Vegetarian and the only main course was an oil filled past dish. I must admit the chef did offer to make me something else but I just wanted to leave. It felt like school dinners gone bad. Breakfast was a mad free for all again.
There was a large selction of places to eat and drink along the strip , something for everyone.

Bars
I loved both bars at the hotel the outside one overlooking the beach was great and the 2 for 1 cocktails between 7:00 and 8:00 went down well!. The one thing I found strange was they did not offer table service until you ordered your first drink at the bar. The pool bar was closed as it was out of season.

Pools
Very nice and clean with plenty of sunbeds

Entertainment
We did not see any

Prices
Cocktail 4.50 Euros
Taxi to airport 25 Euros
Average meal with wine for 35 Euros (one course)
Malta trip 15 Euros per person

My Husband and I travel a lot and I could only give this hotel 3* at best but am sure the time share guests or those in the new part of the hotel may beg to differ.

Room Tip: Choose a new room with a sea view.
2  Thank Melissa N
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Melissa N,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and for your constructive comments.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the areas where we have fallen short of your expectations. This is certainly not a situation we are happy with, since we strive to maintain the highest possible levels of standards and facilities in order to meet the expectations and desires of our guests.

Indeed your comments have been taken very seriously and have been shared with the Management Team, in order to help us improve further the service that we have to offer.

Thank you once again for your feedback. Your constructive comments will only assist us in continually improving on the services we have to offer to our clients.

Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator

Write a ReviewReviews (2,984)

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have just returned from a very good holiday in the Dolmen. Our twin room was a good size, beds were comfortable, extra pillows and blankets in wardrobe. Super power shower. Clean towels every day. We had a balcony with wonderful views across the bay. Plenty of beds around the pool, (it was Oct/Nov), towels provided for use around the pools.
We went Half board: quality of food very good, on one occasion my grandchildren did not want what was on the menu and they were provided with something more suitable.
Staff are friendly and efficient, always polite and helpful. Because our week overlapped from Summer to Winter the beverages were stopped for last three days of our stay, after talking to Manager this was rescinded.
Because of the amount of people at the morning sitting I think another toaster would be good.
I would have loved tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms. Excellent holiday

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking pool and sea. We had 267 and 271. Not all rooms have balconies so check. We...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lindalumps
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Lindalumps,

Firstly, allow me on behalf of the Dolmen team to show our sincere appreciation for making time to share with fellow travellers your most recent experience at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that we have also taken note of your suggestions as these help us to improve further our services and facilities.

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at the Dolmen Resort and we do look forward to welcoming you back again in the future, and in the eventuality I am inviting you to contact us directly.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I visited Dolmen in August for a long weekend with a friend.

The Spa is amazing! we both had Myoka facial and massage which lasted almost two hours and only set us back 50 euro each, we also used the indoor relaxation pool, sauna and jacuzzis. I barely remember the walk back to the room and had the best night sleep for years.

The rest of the hotel is good provided you are half board.

We stayed in the newer area of the hotel and our room was modern, large and had comfortable beds. The breakfast was buffet style and could get busy, but had plenty of food to choose from.

The hotel is a bit of a maze but we got the hang of it after a day or two. There are lots of separate pool areas and sunbathing areas but no beaches. Some pools were very busy and others not depending on what you want.

The restaurants at the hotel were good and we ate at them many lunchtimes and evening and noticed that many people who were not staying at the hotel also ate there, this is because the food is good and actually not as overpriced as those in the town centre. The problem with all inclusive is that you can only eat at the buffet restaurant and not at any of the other far superior ones so you will probably feel misled.

There is a nightclub too which is tired but good fun if you want a dance, again this place was full of people who were not staying at the hotel but this was not a problem.

We went on a boat trip to blue lagoon which was cheap but be sure to book outside the hotel, not at the desk in reception. Blue lagoon was beautiful but more packed than a london tube at rush hour, we had to buy lilos to float on in the sea just to sunbathe, i joke you not.

In a nutshell, if your not too fussy about being all inclusive or having a beach but want to use the spa then this is perfect for you.

We had a great time!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JKHBrighton

Dear JKHBrighton,

We read your review and are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Dolmen Resort and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Malta!

With our warm regards

Reviewed November 1, 2012

On the recommendation of a couple we met on holiday we had a meal in the Dolmen. It is hotel buffet style and was 18.50 for on residents. Wine was 11 euro fora litre carafe and was excellent. The meal was good lots of salads pasta soup and mains of lamb shank, freshly grilled tuna and lambs liver. All well cooked and tasty. My only negative is that there was only 'tired' broccoli as veg. Nice selection of desserts and cheeses and biscuits also. Go early as they start taking food away and clearing up after 9.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidayseeker

Dear Holidayseeker,

We reviewed your comments regarding your most recent experience with us. Rest assured that we do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get.

We do thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

this was our second time to stay at this hotel, only a short stay this time we both wished it was longer like the last time. we all read the reviews on many hotels before we book, comments can be good some bad. this hotel is all good even sent friends here they loved it, staff were very friendly as are the people of malta. we only stayed in inland room this time so we were worried it might be dark an dingy, were we happy when we saw a bright an modern room. the food was as good as it gets better than the last visit the free wine an soft drinks were a nice touch. so dont be worried about booking this hotel,just go relax an enjoy. well done the dolmen,hopefully see you next march

2  Thank steveanjack

Dear Steveanjack,

Greetings from the Dolmen Resort and the Maltese Islands!

Thank you for making the time and posting a review following your stay at our resort, it is with great pleasure to read that you found our rooms delightful.

We certainly do our utmost to provide good service and quality facilities so your satisfaction is ours too.

We hope to welcome you to Malta once again and thank you once again for your high recommendations.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was looking forward to my all inclusive relaxing beach holiday, but was dissapointed
Hotel with its own raised beach it was described as......NOT.... a patch of concrete & clay waste land looked like the diggers had scrapped it all up. The travel agents never mentioned this.
All Inclusive ......NOT..... Again I felt it was mi-sold. The only restuarant all inclusive guests can use is the main one and not all the other restaurants mentioned in the brochure. We were told all drinks included, yet again.... not the case ......fresh orange we had to pay for.!!! Ice cream you have to pay for.
The only thing that is all inclusive in the other bars & grills is your drinks....All food is chargable...BUT...if you are all inclusive they will take five Euros per person off the price of the meal.. The mini bar provided in the room.......you pay extra for if you, as its not included in the all inclusive.
Food was ok, not a great choice throughout the week, but the sunday lunches made up for it,obviously everyone else thought that as sunday was full of guests and locals alike.
I always holiday on an all inclusive basis in resorts throughout the world, but this one I will not be going to again.
more suited to elderly

carol Andersson

Room Tip: The best thing was the sea view, but ask for a room on the right hand side of the building by the ne...
2  Thank carolando

Dear Carolando,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We have just returned from our first holiday in Malta, we stayed at this hotel. I have mixed feelings for the hotel, because I read many reviews and took that into account before I booked this. A lot of of the accounts were correct, but I don't think anyone could call the hotel very good or excellent, I think GOOD would be a better description.
The good parts:-
1.Staff are generally friendly and helpful - with the exception of Nadia on reception who never smiled , but was always seemed very curt and professional ,and the odd waitress in the restaurant - but they were always very busy!
2. The choice of food at breakfast was very good - we didn't eat lunch or dinner so I can't comment on that.
3. Lots of choice of swimming pools and facilities - bars etc. No problem getting sun beds. The beach area is well laid out,( but no sand if you have children), great for sunbathing!
4.Hotel rooms and all other areas kept very clean.
5. Happy hours in Temple Bar and Vintage Bar!
6. Very close to the Bus station, for travelling around the Island.
7. Close to local shops/restaurants and bars
8. Beds very comfortable.

The bad parts:-
1. Air conditioning did not work - we tried on many occasions to get it sorted and was told different stories depending on who you spoke to, the staff on reception said that we did n't leave it on long enough! The maintanence man said it did n't come on until 3.00 pm in the afternoon and we should try it a little later! We eventually were offered a fan. I looked in other rooms along our floor - 5th - when the cleaners were in and I saw a lot of fans! It was very hot , especially at night so we had to have a noisy fan running all night.
2. Our room was o.k. but I emailed ahead to ask for one of the recently renovated rooms I had seen on their website, and we paid extra for a sea view - we got a corner room ,it did have a sea view with a small balcony, but it was one with the old decoration and was looking a little tired. I am sure that if you have stayed in the new you would give a better rating.
3.Generally ,the outside areas were in need of some T.L.C. - some painting and attention to wooden railings and decking, some of the outside restaurants in the beach area looked a little sad. It is possibly because we went late in the season and this will be taken care of in the next few months, but it was very noticeable.

Overall I think that the Hotel was good value for money, but it could do with al little more modernisation in some areas.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are lovely ,but they get the sun nearly all the day, so ,if air con does n't work...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
dolmenrh, Sales & Marketing Web-Coordinator at Dolmen Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear POLLY0655,

Firstly, allow me to thank you for making the time to share with all your overall experience on the Maltese Islands and indeed at the Dolmen Resort.

Rest assured that all your comments have been well noted and have been passed on to the respective managers for their immediate attention.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we do look forward to have you stay with us once again,

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Paul's Bay
Ramla Bay Resort
Ramla Bay Resort
#7 of 12 in Mellieha
Park Lane Aparthotel

Been to Dolmen Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!