We went to Malta to get married having never visited the island before. We were very nervous as we had 40 of our family and friends coming with us and hoped it wouldn’t be a let down. It was a great place to go and a fantastic hotel.
We had booked to stay in one of Malta’s other well known hotels but due to a mass of building work problems (which were still going on even though the hotel was open when we went for a look) we were moved to the Dolmen.
Firstly the rooms were great, very spacious and very clean. Our air con was a bit noisy when on high and the glass shower curtain could have done with being a bit bigger but to be honest that’s the only faults we could find with the room.
The bar and waiting staff were great. They were very helpful and their English was better than most hotels I’ve stayed in. The reception staff were a bit hit and miss, some were helpful and friendly others not so much.
The food was lovely, we stayed all inclusive and never had the same meal twice. The food wasn’t very child friendly but a few days in we found out they did a separate children’s menu which the cooked to order. The waiting was a little annoying but at least the food was freshly cooked.
As we only stayed for a week and most of that we were doing wedding related errands we didn’t get to see much of the local area but from what we heard from our guests Qwara was a nice place to walk around with good restaurants and bars.
Our wedding day at the Dolmen was perfect. We booked through a travel company and our wedding co-ordinator Amanda handled all liaisons with the hotel and sorted out every last detail for us.
We had our reception on the Amazonia terrace overlooking the sea. The layout was everything we hoped for and the back drop for the photos was amazing. We were offered the temple area for the ceremony but opted to be by the sea as it was more private and the temple area was a bit smelly.
We got married late afternoon and went on to have dinner in the hotels Sibylle room. The room decoration couldn’t have been better if I had done it myself. It looked beautiful. It had its own little terraced seating area outside the doors which was a great touch.
We had a buffet meal and the food was great with so much and such a wide selection for just us. The hotel let us link up our bridesmaids’ laptop to the rooms sound system and we stayed in there for the full evening.
I would definitely recommend the Dolmen for both a holiday and wedding.
I can’t end my review without giving a mention to our fantastic photographer Alison Valletta. She was brilliant, we had access to out photos on the same evening, all of which were great! We also got to pick our edited photo CD’s and video DVD’s only 3 days later. If you’re getting married in Malta you should check out her website.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful located at the waters edge, the 4 star hotel boasts 375 guest rooms and 38 highly finished superior rooms and suites with panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea and St. Paul's Islands. All bedrooms and suites are fully air-conditioned, centrally, heated and have their own private bathroom, safe deposit box, satellite TV, direct dial telephone, radio, mini-bar and hair dryers. The majority of the rooms have a balcony or terrace.The hotel's general facilities include a Conferece Centre, Casino, an A La Carte Restaurant, Buffet Restaurant, Piano Lobby Bar, Cafeteria, Swim-Up Bar, Night Club and Caribbean Style Beach Club offering a variety of water-sports, a Diving Centre, Bars and Restaurant. Four outdoor swimming pools are located within the hotel together with one dedicated for children. The newly designed Spa incorporates state of the art Therapy rooms with the latest equipment as well as a Fitness Room, Indoor Pool with hydro massage and sauna. Animation Activities are provided on a daily basis together with a kids club during the summer months. A regular entertainment is held during the evenings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HostelWorld, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dolmen Resort Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dolmen Hotel St. Paul`s Bay
- Dolmen Hotel St Pauls Bay
- Dolmen Hotel Malta
- Dolmen Resort Hotel Malta