“Meat so tender it falls off the bone”
Review of Ta' Bertu

Ta' Bertu
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I'd heard lots of positive comments about Ta' Bertu, and finally managed to get there myself. I was there with some old colleagues, many who had raved about the place. They were definitely not wrong! Albert, the owner, started off the evening by presenting us with a hhge dish of , local specialities, peppered goats cheese, olives, bigilla (a local bean paste), sundried tomatoes, caponata, and the freshest crunchiest bread ever to help us munch our way through.
I had to resist pigging out on this coz I wanted to leave space for my starter & main, yeah, this was not even the first course! I had the spaghetti with rabbit sauce to 'start' followed by rabbit for my main course. Needless to say, tne spaghetti was ample, sauce had lots of meaty rabbit, as it should. Then on for our main, huge bowls of portioned fried rabbit were brought to our tables (we were about 20 pax!) along with dishes of baked potatoes and bowls of chips. The rabbit was so tender the meat was falling off the bone, so juicy & tasty. Considering we took over the whole place, yes, Ta' Bertu's is small, service was fine, a young waiter and Albert himself coped admirably. A few opted for chicken or pork belly as opposed to the more popular rabbit dish, and again, there wasn't an empty plate to be seen at the end of a fabulous evening.
This tiny restaurant in the heart of St Paul's Bay has no view, no fancy decor but boy does the food make up for it! Pricing seems to be pretty reasonable too, all we paid was €30 a head which included all the above plus enough water & Italian wine to wash it all down with. I'll definitely be going back & if you're thinking about it, just go! You won't regret it.

1  Thank MichelleMalta

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

My husband, seven year old son and myself had dinner here last weekend during our vacation to Malta. It was wonderful. It was the middle of the week and early evening so the restaurant was quiet. We loved everything. Very tasty! And the Maltese Platter was a nice bonus. Highly recommend!

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I Recently had the pleasure of dining at this small intimate restaurant with my family and I must say it is without doubt the best restaurant in Malta! Albert the owner, runs a one man show here so although the wait for the food was longer than usually expected, it was certainly worth the wait! Good food, good wine and excellent service! A must if you are in the area!

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Make a reservation and have an amazing meal! If I could give them 10 stars I would. I felt like I was invited in to Albert's home for a personal meal. The service was great, the food amazing and the Maltese plate is the perfect starter. This is even complementary, on the house. We need to go back! I already look forward to our next visit. Thank you Alberto!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

During a recent holiday in St Paul's Bay we came across this little gem of a restaurant in the main street just around the corner from our apartment. We were so impressed that we made two return visits in less than a week. The owner Albert prepares and cooks the most delicious food as well as serving everyone himself. He prides himself on using fresh local food to prepare a range of traditional Maltese dishes and given notice will source the best fish of the day. On our first visit we ordered starters but before they arrived we were served a huge complimentary Maltese platter. On subsequent visits we gave the starters a miss as the platter was more than ample!! Having given notice of our second visit Albert had bought locally- caught red snapper, which he cooked simply in foil with herbs, tomatoes and wine - and absolutely delicious! Somehow he managed to keep control of all that was going on without appearing to be under pressure and where possible.stopping to chat. He was a charming and interesting host and happy to share the secrets of his cooking .If you are ever in St Paul's Bay a visit to Ta Bertu is a must - you will be guaranteed a warm welcome, in homely surroundings and delicious traditional food at a reasonable cost.