“Can't beat this place!”
Review of Chalet du Lys

and 1 more site!
Chalet du Lys
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Every year I look around at ski areas in Europe for our annual family and friends ski trip. Every year, for the past four we''ve come back to Staffal and back to Chalet du Lys.

Neither this village or this hotel l is the place for you if you're looking for a big party or nightlife scene. If however, you're looking for a huge diverse ski area on your doorstep, a beautifully appointed hotel that serves great food, has a good bar and most importantly, fantastic staff. Chalet du Lys should be on your list.
Chalet du Lys is a great place to visit with children, a lovely kids area keeps them busy and easy access to the local Snow Garden and Ski School makes mornings a doddle getting the kids up and out.

I seriously can't rate this place highly enough! We love it and we'll be going back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Brynglas
There are newer reviews for Chalet du Lys

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We traveled from the U.S.A. to ski here for a week in springtime. We were meeting some European friends and didn't know what to expect from the hotel, but it surpassed our expectations! We brought our 10-year old daughter with us, and the room was quite spacious for the three of us and perfectly clean. The mountain isn't too far from the Malpensa (Milan) airport, so even after an international flight we were able to drive there without hassle, and they had the room ready for us right away. The food was exceptional, even meeting the standards of my foodie Italian-born-and-raised husband. The skiing was also fantastic, and this hotel offers a storage location for the skis within sight of the chair lift, which makes for easy ski-in/ski-out location! We also enjoyed the lovely spa and pool, and the staff was extremely friendly. We have wonderful memories and hope to go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I went to Chalet du Lys with four other families. We were all very happy and highly recommend to stay there (unbeatable in terms of value for money and very family friendly):

- Location is great, very short walk to the ski lift and very convenient ski room;
- Hotel is a large wooden chalet, the rooms are good size, the bathrooms are clean with hot and powerful showers (& lovely toiletries!).
- Breakfast and dinner are superb, good quality products, impressive variety and very generous amounts on a large buffet as well as dishes served at the table. Best pre and post skiing food I have had in this kind of hotel!
- Before dinner, there is an Apero for all hotel guests with prosecco & nibbles - such a lovely touch.
- There is a large living area with hugh sofas to relax.
- The SPA is included in the price (not treatments, but these are reasonable), clean and very nice.
- The hotel staff were lovely, very helpful (great on-piste restaurant recommendations for lunch) and child-friendly.

Highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Perfect location for skiing. Two minutes walking from the lifts. Beautiful sky area.
Wonderful atmosphere in the hotel, good service, excellent food, nice and cosy SPA.
The rooms are nice. This was our second visit to the hotel. We both liked the rooms and the chalet. The chalet is perfect for families with bigger children. I would suggest to families with kids under 4 to book a room because its easier to manage without stairs as the chalet have two floors.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2014

From the first glass of sparking wine to the final breakfast, we thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Chalet du Lys. Our room was comfortable and clean, the views spectacular, the meals well-prepared and the bar and common areas welcoming. We found the staff helpful and friendly, and they seem to truly enjoy working here. I recommend splurging at least once in a dinner at the in-house fine-dining restaurant as well.
The ski area offers a great deal of varied terrain, with well groomed pistes and fun (or challenging) off-piste areas as well. All in all, a great holiday

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I got back from Chalet du Lys in late Jan '14 after staying 10 days.

Rooms were spacious, quiet, comfortable and bed + shower was brill!. However, the lighting in the room was quite dim and I had to be right under my lamp to read my book at night. Without wishing to sound like the complaining Brit, the TV also had no cable/English channels which I was a little surprised about as at least 40-50% of the guests seemed to be British or American. Thus unless you speak fluent Italian or French then the TV will stay firmly switched off.

Staff are very welcoming and helpful (the manager even found me a kettle and cup for my room which doesn't come as standard in Italy). The waiter 'Davis' deserves a special mention as he was very friendly and invariably bright and enthusiastic. Nothing was too much trouble and he brought an air of Italian passion and professionalism to the restaurant and breakfast table each day.

The spa facilities were lovely though the jacuzzi needed to be significantly warmer. After a long day on the slopes in the cold air, guests want a stark contrast in temperature and luxury when they jump into the jacuzzi - we want to see 'steam' coming off the jacuzzi! Instead, the jacuzzi whilst visually impressive, could only be described as 'chilly' so I only spent a few minutes in there.

The location of the Chalet to the two main Staffal lifts (toward Champoluc and Alagna) is fantastic - literally a stone's throw and I was able to ski from the chalet down a little hill and across a short flat piece of ground to the lifts on most of the days I was there.

Now for my biggest frustration throughout my whole stay. Whilst some may go to the mountains to escape the internet, I wanted to have at least a mediocre connection during my stay and the hotel was advertised to me as having internet access (arguably it did but very poor indeed). On a few days, it was almost as fast as the old 'dial-up' connections used to be but I spent a great deal of time just trying to get any signal at all - even when I sat downstairs in the reception area where the signal was supposedly the strongest.

I spoke to the manager about the internet issue but was told that because we were in the mountains, it had to be recognized that the signal wouldn't be good and the internet inevitably slow. I didn't make a song and dance about it but Chalet du Lys MUST update its internet technology. To say the signal is poor just because you are high in the mountains just won't wash these days! I have stayed in the mountains many times (at higher altitudes than this) and this is the worst place for internet speed/access I've encountered in the past 8 years. I noticed several of the other guests were equally as frustrated (one had wanted to monitor his online business from the hotel but little chance of that!).

So Chalet du Lys, take note:

- Update the internet technology and ensure broadband speeds (at least a few MB/sec) in all parts of the hotel. Yes it can be done even though you are high in the mountains!
- Ensure there is some sort of cable TV package for people who only speak English otherwise
little point in having TVs in their rooms.
- Increase the power or position of the lighting in the rooms (I can only speak for my own here)
- Increase the temperature of your jacuzzi (otherwise spa is great!)

If the above 4 things had been done then I'd have considered this a strong 4* hotel but unfortunately their absence leaves it as a 3* for me at present.

I'd like to book again to come back to this hotel but until the internet issue is resolved, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark I
Reviewed February 16, 2014

If you want great access to the Gressoney valley this is the place to be. However... Chalet du Lys is situated in Stafal which is in fact the uppermost carpark of the valley. This is not a traditional Italian village but is the best access point to the slopes. Gressoney-la-Trinite has more to offer from a social aspect but is situated a few kilometers down the valley. The hotel should provide most of your requirements because if not, you're going to be stuck. There is only one other shop/cafe nearby in case of emergency or cabin fever. The hotel itself provides and adequate buffet breakfast and an evening meal with plenty of food options. The cuisine is authentic Italian not the kind you'll find at a Pizza Express or in a Jamie Oliver cook book. Fussy eaters may take issue with the food choices but remember there is very little alternative! The hotel spa is the ideal way to relieve any aching limbs so be sure to pack those buggie-smugglers and the pleasant bar staff can provide liquid refreshments as required. The location is ideal for the slopes and while in theory you can ski in/out at worst you will only ever be 100m from the lifts and bottom of the slopes. With good snow and glorious sunshine these valleys can become a snow lovers paradise. Not a good choice for beginners but plenty of smooth blues, curvy reds and bold blacks to keep intermediates interested. The big draw for this area is the extensive off-piste terrain. Limitless runs of awe inspiring magnitude. If you're serious about heading off piste for the week it's probably best to get a guide the first day to show you around or if your feeling particularly flaithiúilach splash out and go heliskiing... the choice is yours. Be sure make the effort to check out the adjacent valleys of Champoluc ( check out the Campo Base restaurant at the top of Mandria lift ) to the west and Alagna to the East both with their individual charm and appeal but be sure to get back before the last lift.... the round trip by road is c.70km!!

Room Tip: watch your head in room 228. wooden beams....ouch!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends