“Not a very good location for visiting Tuscany”

UNA Palazzo Mannaioni
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Montaione
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The intention for our vacation was to visit hill towns and wineries. Though this hotel is very comfortable it was out of the way for the things that we wanted to do. The bedding was excellent and the rooms very clean. We were in the newer part of the hotel and the decor was modern and nice. Staff helpfulness varied by person. Some could not be bothered, another wasn't very knowledgable but tried, and a third was extremely helpful. We had an excellent rate and had that not been the case I would have been disappointed as they seem to charge for everything including parking and wifi. The local TI is a few doors down and had excellent suggestions with regard to winery tours. We asked for a good winery which was also charming. We had an outstanding dinner and wine tasting within 15 kilometers of town, the highlight of our 5 days in the Tuscan region so far.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 25, 2014

A lovely hotel in a friendly setting. Montaione is just like a hill station and the scenic views are amazing. Nice few restaurants around for trying variety within walking distance. And a beautiful gelateria called Baraione located just 2 mins walk away which has umpteen flavours to choose from. The gelato is so authentic that we never had that taste + price anywhere else in Itay ( Rome, Venice, etc are too expensive and the ice creams are nowhere like this).

Cons
Commuting a huge problem. If no car then really difficult to live here and plan trips. The closest station is at least half an hour by bus and there are limited trains to Florence which is an hour away. There are limited buses to the station and that stops at 8pm. Taxis are way too expensive.

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have good wifi network. So please look for a proper room with connectivity.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Would highly recommend this hotel. Staff are friendly and helpful. Hotel and rooms clean and well decorated with charming furnishings and furniture.
Breakfast varied and fresh ingredients. Pool clean and plenty of space to relax.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Booked through Voyage Privee, whose communication after booking I have to say leaves something to be desired, I only had the reviews on here to go on. As my intention was a simple relaxing retreat, I was not too concerned with what was in the wider area and from the reviews expected more eating establishments than there actually were in the town centre.

I would say that one of the strongest points of the hotel are the staff team, particularly Sara who went to the trouble of arranging airport transfers for me as this proved rather untypically difficult using the usual operators. The entire team were so friendly and helpful but not in an overbearing way as is sometimes the case. I was shown a range of rooms in the old and new building under the tunnel/across the road- one a regular room and another a suite which would obviously come at a supplement although this wasn't exactly how it was presented when initially shown. I opted for the newer building and the room was lovely with a nice enclosed terrace. I would think only the old rooms in the main building would have views but this didn't bother me as I intended to wander in the evenings anyhow. I chose not to hire a car as reviews seemed to suggest plenty of eating places within easy reach. I would say hire one. The restaurants in the centre are fine but for a whole week, perhaps not. I did eat one night in the hotel and again, I would say the strength was the wonderful staff as the food was quite ordinary at best even though beautifully presented and lovingly described, I think some things were lost on me in translation as my understanding of 'rosti' would be shredded potato and other things, not a sliced roast potato! There is a reasonably sized supermarket down the steps outside of the town walls with a decent fresh deli selection for lunch on your own terrace and drinks and the Campiano restaurant do amazing pizza available for takeaway if you choose. I bought fresh fruit from the supermarket and ice cream to go with it from the corner bar- AMAZING gelato! I took a trip into Siena by bus and train which was really cheap and easy to do, again, the wonderful reception staff printed off timetables- just remember to buy your return bus ticket from the bar on the corner as you don't pay the driver. All in all, a pleasant stay, by day 5 without a car I was a bit stir crazy but that is just me :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelbugzUK
Reviewed May 27, 2014

A very comfortable hotel in the gorgeous Tuscan countryside, in a little town still mostly un-commercialised. Property is very modern & spread over a couple of small blocks. Rooms were well appointed, maybe a touch small, with top-grade fittings & comfortable beds.
There were 2 conflicting sets of instructions for using the in-room safe, but we didn't spend the time to solve it as we were enjoying the countryside & never felt anything was at risk. There was a bit of noise from the street, but mostly very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

What a lovely quaint hotel. We were upgraded to a junior suite which had a small balcony where we could sit and enjoy the sunshine and views. The dining room was tastefully decorated. We enjoyed two superb dinners there during our stay, the young chef has real flair, incorporating beautiful presentation as well as interesting combinations of flavours. The staff in the hotel were friendly and helpful, suggesting interesting places to visit locally. We would definitely stay there again if we returned to Tuscany. Our only complaint would be that there was a lack of whisky in the bar!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2014

A good hotel for viewing surrunding area. Breakfast was good with attentive service. Room small but we switched to Junior Suite at extra cost. Garage was also extra but adequate parking within walking distance. Pool was not open in April. A few excellent restaurants locally

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Philip B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montaione
Hotel Il Castelfalfi - TUI BLUE SELECTION
Diacceroni Agriturismo Biologico
Hotel Certaldo
Hotel Certaldo
#1 of 5 in Certaldo

Been to UNA Palazzo Mannaioni? Share your experiences!