Museum District Bed & Breakfast
The Jefferson Hotel(Richmond)
$275
Preferred Hotels
$119
All reviewswine and cheesecarriage housesteam showeranna currenceother gueststhe main housebed and breakfastyogurtsleeping porchlovely homeclaw foot tublocal baconsmall officehistorical societywithin walking distanceoff street parkingwonderful hospitality
Reviewed June 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Museum District Bed and Breakfast for three nights in mid-May when we were in Richmond for our daughter's graduation from VCU. We have stayed in many B&Bs while traveling over the years, and we have definitely added this to our list of favorites. This beautiful genteel house sits in a lovely area that is convenient to great restaurants, shops, and historic sites. Our room was large and comfortably appointed, and we loved having a private balcony that looked over the tree lined street across from the Virginia Museum of Fine Art. But the most appreciated part of our stay was the gracious hospitality of the innkeeper, Anna. From the wonderful afternoon wine and cheese gatherings, to the delicious breakfast feasts, to the many special details that make a visitor feel so at home, Anna goes way beyond the call of duty to make her guests feel welcome. She even invited our daughter to join us for the afternoon refreshment times and breakfasts, which allowed us to share the experience with her. We loved our stay here and recommend the Museum District Bed and Breakfast to anyone visiting Richmond.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2008

On a professional trip, we loved the place.
Spending the previous night in a 4star local hotel (good, clean but impersonal at $175), we could feel at home at Anna Currence colonial house.
Not only the place is spacious, decorated with a refined taste, and quiet but the landlady does everything so that one does not feel traveling.
The 5pm cheese (in fact for us it was 6:30pm but Anna waited for us) with wine (we brought one more bottle) was so good, and the conversation so passionate (we found some common professional background) that we didn't see the time pass and finally decided to skip the dinner in the restaurant (we left some cheese on the plate but not much I guess). And one of us is French, which means the cheese was great (I say nothing about the wine, but French are difficult on the subject ;-)).
Then we watched Spurs-Lakers playoff game in the living room that Anna put at our disposal continuing to sip the wine.
NB: One more detail: We first booked two rooms, but Anna contacted us advising instead to take a 2-room suite with 2 bathrooms and save $150. The B&B wasn't full that day which means she lost money to make us happy. Rare thing.

I recommend this place to anyone on either personal or business trip.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I spent two nights in late May 2008 at this B & B which had been recommended to me by Richmond relatives.

Anna Currence was extremely helpful to me in many ways. I initially thought I could only reserve a room for one night, but after Anna checked and discovered someone had made a booking error, I was able to spend two nights. I really appreciated her checking on the reservations.

The B&B is located in an architecturally lovely section of Richmond. Across the street is the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Restaurants and shops are about three blocks from the B & B. The area is walkable and safe. Anna actually walked me to the restaurants/shops area so that I could locate it and confirm the safety.

I stayed in the Carriage House, which is detached from the main house. In the Carriage House, I could control the temperature and could watch television without feeling as if I disturbed anyone else. Additionally, no one else disturbed me. The room rate is extremely reasonable.

Both evenings featured delicious wines and cheeses. Sitting on the patio in comfortable, spring temperatures sipping wine and eating cheese/crackers was delightful.

The breakfast is superb. Various granola, pastries of all types, fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon (don't miss this!), juice, coffee, and tea more than satisfy. The New York Times and the Richmond paper are provided for perusal.

Anna provided city maps and discussed areas of interest. Her advice assisted me in planning my time in Richmond.

As I told Anna when I left, I feel as if I have made a new friend!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Having lived in this area of Richmond for several years I was very excited that there was a new inn here. 2 stars for the location, which is about the best in Richmond. Park the car and Carytown is a short stroll away. Walk east on Grove into the Fan for lots of little neighborhood restaurants and bars.

The house itself was appointed well, but we were so put off by the amateur-ish service that I have to recommend staying elsewhere.

We arrived at 3pm (after coming over on a red eye, being delayed enroute, etc.) to the response of oh sorry, your room isn't ready yet. The innkeeper was buzzing around constantly. We took it in stride, changed and walked down to Carytown.

We came back at 5pm and sorry, your room still isn't ready yet. So when was check in? Throughout the evening the innkeeper constantly had some other reason to keep going in and out of our room which was just awkward.

The worst experience was when we returned back to the inn around midnight after some drinks with a friend. The room was very warm and with no apparent way to alleviate this we opened a window. We then sat down and turned the TV. About 5 minutes later there was a horrific banging at the door to our room and the innkeeper screamed that "it was time to go to bed!" Granted the TV may have been loud, but this was the lowest class and least tactful way to deal with this. I've never been treated some rudely at anywhere I've stayed. After turning the TV off and going to bed, we could hear a raucous keg party at the house next door. I was curious why they wouldn't get a bang on their door.

I can't comment on breakfast. We were so put off with the whole experience that we skipped breakfast and left as soon as possible.

The inn is in a great spot and has so much potential, but the innkeeper has a lot to learn about running a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LAXflyer
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I found this B&B on the Internet and of course checked the ratings on TripAdvisor before booking. I was a little wary because all of the reviews were so glowing.
But there was no reason for wariness. This is the nicest, most comfortable, and well-appointed B&B in which I've ever stayed. Really! And the owner, Anna, couldn't be more gracious or helpful.
What I appreciated most was the careful thought that Anna has put into every aspect of your time here. The house is historic and beautifully rehabbed, with lovely common rooms that genuinely feel welcoming. The room we stayed in -- Judge Rhea's suite -- was spacious and beautifully decorated with antique furniture, Persian rugs, and modern and comfortable couch and chairs.
Sometimes in historic B&Bs you get the feeling that everything has been overdone, the decorating is fussy and annoying, and it's not a comfortable or relaxing space. Not so here! The suite's bedroom is in the former "sleeping porch," so that it was enclosed with tall, wide windows. Each window had a simple ivory block-out blind that could be rolled up or down. If you rolled them down about a third of the way, you had a panoramic view of squirrels and birds playing in the trees. It felt like living in a treehouse and it was an incredibly pleasant scene to wake up to in the morning.
All of the other amenities that guests before me have commented upon were exactly as described, if not much nicer. The shower was awesome (with really nice soaps and body wash). The coffeemaker -- a Sensi -- used pods to make the coffee and you had a choice of regular coffee or cappucino (which was very good). The wide-screen TV along with access to HBO and the regular cable networks made it easy to find something to watch for a bit before bed after a busy day. The comfy couch and plump reading chairs were very comfortable. The bed linens were luxurious. The mattress and pillows were as nice as those at home.
Anna welcomed us with wine and cheese in the afternoon and both the cheese and the wine were top notch. Breakfast was just as splendid as others have noted. I especially appreciated the bagels and lox on a Sunday morning!
The location is wonderful for walking over to Carytown to shop, just several (short) blocks away. The Fan district is within walking distance, but if you're having dinner there, it's more convenient to drive and park.
BTW, Comfort on West Broad Street is just as good as people say. You don't often find real Southern food like fried catfish and cheese grits along with a great wine list. I love Richmond!
All in all, I highly recommend this B&B. I'll be back with my husband in tow, hopefully for one of the First Friday art walks in nearby Jackson-Ward.
And thank you, Anna, for the care and comfort you offer your guests. It is rare.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends