“Horrible dining experience!”

Ranked #592 of 1,623 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I went here with my husband and my sister when my sister was here from out of town after reading a three star review on richmond.com. What a horrible dining experience! I love pork, so I ordered the lechon asado. It was disgustingly bland and dry. My sister got the pollo sateado, and hers was also completely devoid of flavor. My husband go the the ropa vieja, which was okay. We were all extremely disappointed, especially considering the prices of these dishes. Not one of us is a picky eater either. The yuca frita was the only thing we all liked, but they don't give very many. The poor service didn't make the experience any better. I guess our first clue that we should have gone somewhere else was the fact that it was a Friday night and the restaurant was dead. Horrible experience altogether! Don't go unless you like disgusting food!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We have eaten here on a few occasions and have enjoyed it. On our last visit, we ordered a mojito and it tasted like lime water - could not taste any rum at all. We have had mojitos here before and they were delicious. I asked the waitress to return the drink - that I didn't like it and could not taste any rum and didn't want it for that reason. She returned a few minutes later and sat the drink down - apparently the bartender added more rum, but I again told her I did not want it. The bartender then came to the table and asked me what exactly I did not like about it. His attitude was very defensive and he said he makes all the mojitos there. We said that's not true because we have been here and a woman made the mojitos on previous trips. He was obviously mad and walked away. It is all in the way you approach someone that makes a statement. I do not like the way I was treated and I will never come back to this place because of him. At least he could have apologized and asked if the rest of our food was fine - but it is what it is...now I know why the place has never been busy in the 4 times we visited...another establishment that needs customer service training...

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Went on a Friday night for drinks and appetizers. We ordered mini papa rellenos and yuca frita. This was my first experience with Cuban food, and it was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the yuca frita - similar to potatoes, but perhaps even more delicious with an interesting texture.

The drinks were also pretty good. Reasonably priced, and the bartender really knew what he was doing.

The only reason this is getting three stars is because I only had appetizers and drinks. I will definitely go again and post a second review after sampling lunch or dinner.

1  Thank emjohns
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I don't ever review places that I live near for some reason..just when traveling. But I had to review Kenn-Tico. I've had two fabulous experiences here. My brother and sis-in-law gave us a choice of where to go for our anniversary. We love trying new places and chose here over the other Cuban choices we were looking at. It was GREAT. The waitstaff are so into the menu and food that you get great recommendations. You can tell they take a lot of pride in their menu with homemade dressings and even telling you which mojitos are best vs which to skip. That takes honesty and I appreciate that. Everything we had was amazing. They even came out and surprised us with some sort of flaming drink for our anniversary. So friendly. PLUS they have a happy hour that cannot be beat on Mondays ALL day. I cannot say enough about this place. We took my husband's mother here when she visited and she loved it too. Will return! And the menu prices are GREAT!

1  Thank arauth
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Great place! Very cute. Music nice. We had the pan con minuta. Which was the fried red snapped fish sandwiche, excellent the bar tender and waitress was very friendly

1  Thank bmoresexy

Been to Kenn Tico? Share your experiences!