“Wonderful”
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,647 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Quaint restaurant! If you looked at the outside you might walk by but came highly recommended so we stopped in. Is just a great place for dinner. Very inviting and comfortable, staff friendly and food was delicous. We got there around 6:45 for dinner and by 7pm was filling up fast. Would recommend reservations on weekends. Great food and atmosphere.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Visited this restaurant due to our hotel recommending tenants café. Service was awesome and the food was awesome as well. The place is a bit small hence be ready to be next to other folks close by. Otherwise, its a well recommended restaurant and will visit again.

Beer was awesome also.... Like I said well recommended

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Ok, I must say that I feel a little bad in personalizing this review, because it should not take away from the excellent food and wonderful service. I unfortunately am a little claustrophobic and the restaurant is very popular and very small in size. Aside from that, after a wonderfully prepared martini I could thouroughly enjoy the restaurant. We shared the Fried Polenta as an appetizer and the sauce combined with the shrimp and scallops was perfectly prepared and a great start to the meal. We then shared the grilled mahi-mahi which was so plentiful that it served as a meal for both of us. Oh, and the sauce played off perfectly with the grilled fish. All in all, I think I will visit this restaurant again despite my lil phobia.

1  Thank Elijah598
Reviewed April 4, 2014

In town visiting family and my uncle brought us here for lunch. It looks like former drug store converted into a restaurant, so charming. It's definitely bigger than looks from outside cause we had no wait. The menu has something for everyone and any appetite. I had the combo tacos - one fish and one shrimp. They was delicious. Family members all enjoyed their dishes as well, though fries were bit overdone. Definitely will visit again.

1  Thank bk_essence
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We ate here with my parents, my 7+9 yr old kids, and some visiting friends. My folks raved about it: and it delivered. Parking was a little sketchy around the place, but no biggie. Getting through the front entrance with the packed crowd was like running the gauntlet, but spoke of a place everyone wanted into.
This revitalized old pharmacy held all the old charm of old Richmond: metal pressed ceiling tiles, quaint chandeliers, covered in the dark wood of an old library. The bar drinks were tasty, albeit smallish.
But the service was excellent, esp with Katy B. She was engaging with our kids, friendly and very helpful with us new customers, and even remembered the "returnees" in our group from Thanksgiving! She was spot on with our needs, and efficient with such a large table.
The monk fish was delish, and their blackened tuna was the delight of my wife who veers from blackened fish, and considered the best ever by my friend, who loves this style. My daughter's fish sticks made me drool. Even my wife's goat cheese salad was generous, but not gut-busting, and very flavorful.
Short of the wait, this earns top marks all around. A MUST GO!

1  Thank Fred D