“Pleasantly Surprised”
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,607 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pizza, American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Durham, Canada
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My partner and I were driving back to Ontario from the south and decided to spend a night in Richmond. Receptionist at Linden Row Inn recommended Tarrant's just a short walk away. A varied menu, hard to make a choice. My partner had tuna that was cooked right and tasted great but cut was not just 100% quality, they offered to cook a second and made it right ... other items appetizer dessert good. Staff were very busy but provided A1 service and the decor was interesting. Wish we had a Tarrant's close to home.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“This restaurant lives up to the Hype!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

As I read the reviews last week and visited RVA, I was excited about my visit to this restaurant and was pleasantly surprised. It is located on the Main drag off Broad Street and the surrounding area is sketchy at best but as soon as you walk thru the door, you are greeted with warm smiles and Southern charm. I was in a mood for breakfast despite the fact it was about 2PM but read good reviews about their omelettes so ordered the Farmers Omelette stuffed literally with bacon, ham,mushrooms, onions,peppers and cheese and it was so hearty that I could finish it. I also ordered a delicious bowl of she-crab soup and was warned it was a big bowl and indeed, it was. They give you fruit,english muffin and home fries with your omelette and lastly, I ordered their cheese stone milled grits and they were divine and probably my favorite part of the meal. The prices are a little steep but it was definitely worth a visit and will give Mcleans a ride for their money. The women were so friendly and helpful and a few of the waitresses complimented my outfit since I was dressed for a day of shopping!

I'll definitely return to this joint because they have such a wide variety of food from burgers to sandwiches to breakfast to bbq and many other Southern delicacies that us Yankees don't get a chance to savor on a daily basis. You definitely should not judge a book by its cover until you have eaten at this place. It should have been featured on Man vs. Food!

1 Thank SmilingSteve4
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Vibe - Great Service”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Dinner with friends - a great location in Downtown Richmond. Great food selection. Wait staff was very attentive and quick on all accounts. If you have guests from out of town, this is a great place to bring them for a classy meal.

Visited March 2014
Olympia
“Wow!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Walked in around five without a reservation. Seated immediately. Plenty of 20-30-somethings as staff, and the soundtrack featured Crosby, Martin, Sinatra, Armstrong, etc. KILLER!

I asked the waitress for her favs. She recommended Shrimp & Grits. Being from the Pacific NW, grits are completely foreign. Have no fear, that Southern belle knew her eats. The grits were completed with corn, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, and perhaps other goodies. Everything was tied together with a very tasty red sauce. Hot and yummy!!!

For dessert, she mentioned the crime brûlée. Served with a sliced strawberry, I was in heaven. This restaurant is a gem. Eat HERE!

Visited March 2014
Frederick, Maryland
“The Reviews are Right - Great Place”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Traveling from Maryland to points south frequently has us driving near Richmond around lunch time. Instead of the typical fast food off an exit we decided to go with Trip advisor reviews and landed at Tarrant's Café in downtown Richmond. It was my first time in Richmond and the area around Tarrant's did not seem conducive to a high quality restaurant. But stepping inside felt like a completely different world. This old fashion pharmacy converted to upscale restaurant emanated southern charm.
Not only was our food wonderful, but every dish they brought out looked amazing. I had trouble keeping my eyes off the table of whoever was being served. I had the Ruben-like pastrami sandwich (The Rachel) which had the perfect proportions of meat, Cole slaw and dressing. The sweet potato fries were fresh and dusted with powdered sugar. My wife had a vegetarian omelet which was well prepared and the plate was loaded with fresh fruit and delicious red potato home fries. My son had an sophisticated Cobb salad and my 8 year old had the child's penne pasta.
All are food was wonderful and again everything they were bringing out looked beautiful. We were there for Sunday brunch and they had multiple variations of Eggs benedict which looked fabulous.
Our cost was about $58 - one interesting note was that the lemonade (which was freshly made and delicious) was $4 per glass while all the other drinks were more the $1.85/glass with refills.
Strongly recommend this place - less than 10 minutes off the exit of rte 95.