“Great meal in downtown Richmond” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pizza, American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
“Great meal in downtown Richmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The food and service is excellent. One of my favorite items on the menu is the She Crab Soup. Nothing like it!

• Visited June 2013

Richmond, Virginia
“great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

I love the atmosphere and everything I have ever had here was really good. One of my favorites!
I always have a good experience, love the eggs benedict!

• Visited December 2013
richmond
“Food really hits the spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I used to live on the same block as this restaurant so I ate there often. Anytime I wasn't in the mood to cook or go pick up food, they were my go-to delivery people. I've had their burgers, pizza, crab soup, mushroom burger, among other items. I've only experienced one time where I had to wait forever for my food and they gave it to me for free, even though it was a busy friday night.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Glen Allen, Virginia
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

If shrimp and grits is your weakness, then Tarrant's Café is for you! The texture of their grits is great and their lobster cream sauce bathing the shrimp is sublime. Their crab cakes, shrimp tacos and she crab soup is also fabulous and although I tell myself next visit I will have them, I find I cannot resist the shrimp and grits. On weekends, there is valet parking which is a plus since it is downtown. I would not consider this a child friendly venue; it is both crowded and noisy, not to mention a menu geared to a more mature palate.

• Visited April 2013
Mechanicsville, Virginia
“$140 for 2 adults and 2 year old to eat here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I had been here once or twice and liked it OK. Comfort is our absolute favorite downtown restaurant. Tarrant's (at least the first 1 or 2 times) was what we considered a less expensive version of Comfort. That is quite the compliment from us. Then we went again as a large party with a few other couples, some of which also had small children. I'm creating this review on a memory of probably more than a year ago, but it was bad enough that I vowed I'd never return. I remember ordering a special that included fish, and some type of side, and also a vegetable. It was priced around $25. When I ordered, I requested to sub out the fish (perhaps Tilapia) with Rockfish. The server never warned me that this would nearly double the cost of the entree. There were other sub $30 Rockfish entrees, but for a reason that was never explained until I asked, my entree was over $40. The only thing on the menu remotely interesting to my 2 year old was the pizza which was close to $10. Over $3 for her milk. So for me, my 100lb wife and my 2 year to split an appetizer, get our own dinners, (no desert) and perhaps a total of 3 alcoholic drinks, with tax was $140. I did not tip.
This was the only time I can remember not tipping for a meal in my entire adult life. $40 for an entree that was bland and looked and tasted no better than a $15 plate from the restaurant inside Bass Pro shops.
My experience was bad enough that I created a Yelp account to spread the word. Now tripadvisor readers can know to avoid this place too.

• Visited April 2013