“Great Restaurant - iffy location”
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,619 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I must start by saying if anyone is going to Richmond don't start by going downtown. We found out the visitor and information center was located downtown and decide that this would be our starting point, gathering sightseeing information for our civil war tour... what a disappointment. We paid $13.00 in the pay to park lot near the downtown (this was only 2.75 hours) thinking we would be a few hours shopping and sightseeing.... not.... most of the downtown is very run down and many of the store fronts are boarded up. NO nice shopping to purchase local items. When we got to the tourist info and convention centre they did not recommend anything in this area to see... told us to go to the malls outside of town???? We decided to walk around and look at the area and honestly could not find anything to do or anywhere to spend money shopping.... at West Broad Street we came across a small quaint restaurant ... it was like an oasis in the middle of a dessert... we ventured in and it was the most beautiful old fashion place we had every seen...it was at one time a drug store and they have preserved the building, very electic inside with old chandeliers at every booth and beautiful paints etc. We enjoyed a very romantic lunch. My husband and I enjoyed the pasta and a nice glass of wine. Tarrant's service is wonderful with everyone being friendly and hard working, and although we were not in a hurry we did notice many office works enjoying lunch there and they were served promptly allowing them to enjoy lunch before returning to work. I would tell anyone that is going to visit Richmond to eat here but there would be little else to do.

There are newer reviews for Tarrant's Cafe

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I fell in love with the atmosphere of this place, before the food ever arrived. It reminded me of some of my favorite spots in New Orleans. Building seemed to be turn of the last Century and was tastfully appointed with chandiliers without being stuffy at all. I had the Ahi tuna appetizer which was enough for dinner. My colleague had the crab cakes which looked great and she said they tasted wonderful. They had bacon on them. Everything is better with bacon! Staff was attentive, but not bothersome. The pizza's looked really good. I will definately go again if I am back in Richmond.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband made reservations at Tarrant's based upon the top reviews on TripAdvisor. We ate there early on Saturday evening. The place was packed already at 5:00 pm. There is very little space in which to wait. The architecture, windows, and features of the old drug store make the place very unique and interesting. We were seated a booth in the back room. The layout of the space also is quite narrow, and there was a large party seated at a long table along side of us. The servers could barely get back and forth with trays; it was rather tight. My husband ordered the she-crab soup, which was heavy, creamy, and tasted of sherry -- it was very good. We ordered a chicken quesadilla to share for an appetizer. I have never seen a quesadilla come out looking like a grilled cheese sandwich. Most are broiled or tossed in an iron skillet. This one had a heavy, greasy outer coating. It was full of cheese, and some chicken. The overall effect was quite heavy. They also brought us bread. We love to have bread and olive oil to dip it in, but this bread was already saturated in oil with heavy garlic. My husband ordered the Crab Louis salad -- they have 1/2 salads as well as full ones. The half salad was huge. I ordered the Tuscan wrap, which was tasty, but I could only eat half of it. For a side, I ordered creamed spinach, hoping to find a vegetable side that was lighter. Again, the dish was tasty, but the cream sauce was heavy with butter. I had a glass of wine and my husband had one drink. The server was attentive, although it did take quite a long time to get glasses of water when we first arrived. We left feeling like we could not eat again for a week.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Thank you, Trip Advisor!! Was searching for a Mother's Day brunch spot, our Richmond family having come up empty. Came across Tarrant's and was able to book an early reservation on Open Table.

This is what I call A Restaurant! It would succeed anywhere, but the location, warm and friendly wait staff, and the high quality American cuisine with a southern touch are perfect for Richmond. The garlic bread is world-class and the She Crab soup, while not exactly at the level of the SC low country, is mighty fine. I had a classic chicken and waffles - as good as anywhere. One of us could not finish the huge, delicious sausage and cheese grits, and the crab Louie salad would have matched any classic old-time American bar and grill.

I'm slowly learning that there is great dining to be had in Richmond, and Tarrant's is at or near the top of the list. Don't miss it!

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Before seeing West Side Story at the Landmark Theater, we had dinner at Tarrant's on Broad. It was our first visit to this former drug store but definitely not our last.

The facade does little justice to what awaits one inside. A two sided restaurant divided by a very attractive marble bar. This charming restaurant has cool written all over it. Exposed brick walls, wood beams, tin ceiling and to top it off the old prescription sign over the bar. Even the cozy tables with benches are fun.

And did I mention the food? An extensive menu from sandwiches to pizza to a number of interesting entrees. We particularly enjoyed the shrimp and grits, Monte Cristo sandwich with salad and shoestring onion rings with ranch dip. The complementary garlic bread was also a delicious treat.

Excellent service from a polished staff, and a waitress who even brought us a free wine sampling rounded out a wonderful dining experience.

Do yourself a favor a try Tarrant's. a real gem on Broad St