“Delicious American cuisine in downtown Richmond”
Review of Tarrant's Cafe

Tarrant's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Tarrant's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N. Foushee
Description: Tarrant's Cafe is situated in the Richmond Old and Historic District. It was an important corner bringing drugstore services to nearby residents for over eighty years spanning the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. 130 years later this building is bringing neighborhood service to Richmond’s community with an upscale but affordable restaurant: Tarrants Cafe.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went to another downtown restaurant, but they had stopped serving dinner. I wandered around because I thought that there was a diner nearby.

I was surprised to find Tarrant's. I first thought that it was a dance club seriving only alcohol so I went away. Then I changed my mind to try it out.

There is a bar at the entrance where people can order food. There are booths and tables in two adjacent rooms. There are lovely paintings and lights from the past century or earlier. The quaintness is appealing.

On Monday, wine is half price.

I liked the food. For entrees soup or salad is served. I had delicious gazpacho one night. It was thick and tasty. For entrees I had various fish dishes each night. I liked them all. They were served with rice and vegetables. I generally ordered the wine paired with the entree. I liked them all. I never ate dessert because I need to watch my weight.

This is a wonderful restaurant in downtown Richmond. Most nearby establishments are closed at night in Richmond. I stayed at a nearby hotel so it was convenient. I liked the food so much that I repeatedly went there each night in my stay in Richmond.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great food and a good wine selection. I try to eat here at least every month or two. One of my favorite downtown restaurants. The downside is finding parking and the restaurant is too dark for those of us over 40 to read the small-print menu!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Had a very nice lunch - recommend anytime. Food was perfect and more than we could eat. Our server was very knowledgable about the menu and service was excellent - Cuban sandwich was best I ever had!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I would highly recommend this restaurant for a variety of occasions. We were there for business but it is a restaurant I would use for a variety of purposes. They had a good wine list, a lengthy and varied menu, and the service was stellar. I had the penne ala vodka. The portions were generous and I couldn't finish the entree. It was delicious. I really enjoyed the historical building. The interior was so interesting and cozy. I will definitely return to this restaurant and highly recommend it.

1  Thank MMcCauley63
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Okay so I am feeling generous but the blackened cobia with tsaziki was a great idea. Served with brown rice and vegetables was very enjoyable. A slow night and the staff was very attentive and courteous. A nice wine selection. Jack was my waiter and he listened to what I like and suggested accordingly. I would say try this place!