“Hands down, best sushi in town!”
Review of Ichiban - CLOSED

Ichiban
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 5, 2013

First, let me say I have NEVER had a bad meal here! I've been here more times than I can count over the past 2 and a half years (when I met my boyfriend who introduced me to this place - who incidentally grew up eating sushi with a good friend from Japan - so I think he knows his stuff!).

It's a tiny, clean place with the most amazing sushi I've ever had! My boyfriend loves sashimi and he says it's amazing! We both love the tuna tataki. I like the fancy rolls, but the regular rolls are excellent as well. My favorite roll is the Tokyo roll, but they have a new roll that rocked my world called the Scad roll.

The price is reasonable and the staff is awesome! They are a family run place and honestly, you just couldn't get better service.

Go there!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I think I have tried it all in the Richmond area, but this is what I go back to. The selection of rolls is the most unique, very fresh, and the best part is it is quite a bit cheaper than many of the other places in town. Great great sushi.

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

I have checked out most of the Japanese restaurants in Richmond and i keep coming back to this one. By now i have maybe visited it close to 50 times? I have never been disappointed with anything i tried and the fish was always fresh.

1  Thank Karakara12
Reviewed May 8, 2011

While in Richmond for a getaway weekend, we were in the mood for Japanese. My husband discovered this place on "Yelp!", so we made the drive from our Short Pump area hotel to a suburban strip center tucked away from the hubbub. From the outstanding reviews on Yelp, we were excited to experience something a bit more "authentic" than the usual take-out places. We're not connoisseurs by any means, so we were looking forward to a bit of a cultural adventure.

The place was quiet with maybe a handful of tables in use, which didn't bother us too much, even for a Saturday night. The menu was easy to understand and not overcrowded with dozens of options. They offered a little photo-album of their specialty sushi dishes, which were such lovely works of art we wondered how anyone could eat them! We marveled at an 18" long wooden sail boat that was loaded up and used as a "tray" for delivering one of their signature sushi dishes.

We're not sushi people, and prefer the hibachi style, so we ordered a combo meal to share with shrimp, chicken and NY Strip steak. The meal came with a bowl of Miso, a side salad, a shrimp roll and ice cream for dessert. We added an appetizer of 2 shrimp rolls since we both enjoy them. The soup was tasty and beefy-flavored with diced tofu, and not a "clear" broth like you sometimes get with Japanese or Chinese food. It felt "hearty". We tasted the salad dressing with our forks before putting on the salad and we did NOT like the house dressing. We asked about other options and were offered a traditional ranch and that was fine. The salad was very American - just a bowl of iceberg lettuce with some shredded carrots - but cool and crisp. The "American-ness" of it didn't bother us.

The shrimp rolls were obviously hand-made and the dark, gingery sauce served with them was out of this world. Very yummy! We could have eaten many more of them! I will take this moment to mention that the glass of dark burgundy-colored Pinot that I ordered was warm and velvety and went very well with the soup and shrimp rolls.

Our meal was served on a large patter the size of a pizza and looked amazing! My husband is a fried rice guy, so I ordered a separate bowl of steamed rice, but we noticed that the fried rice actually had eggs in it - which is much more traditional - and tasted lighter and less "oily" than what you would normally get at a take-out place. We were told they don't offer the pink shrimp sauce (usually called "yum-yum" sauce), but once we started eating we didn't miss it! The steak pieces, which we ordered cooked "medium", were melt-in-your-mouth good, not chewy. The vegetables (zucchini, carrots, onions) were diced and well-cooked. The shrimp still had the tails on, but were delicious. The chicken was also very good. The sauce was savory with a hint of that teriyaki sweetness and went well with the meats and shrimp. It was the perfect amount of food for two people with the extra rice and extra shrimp rolls.

After our meal, we went to sit at the sushi bar to watch the guys make an order for a take-out customer. It was fascinating to watch it come together. The customer who was taking it out said it's a shame to take it out because they present it so beautifully when you eat in, but he was certain that the sushi would get him out of the doghouse with this girlfriend. I suppose sushi is the new flowers?

We were able to chat with the owner, Angela, as she served us our meal, and she is just adorable! She bragged about her artistic son, and worried about an upcoming interview with a local television news station. She didn't know about Yelp, so my husband showed it to her on his Blackberry and read some of the reviews to her. She was so thrilled that people would say such nice things about her business on the internet.

I would definitely recommend Ichiban to anyone! It was the perfect treat for us - we love finding off-the-beaten-path local joints, and this is certainly one of those local treasures! If you're a sushi fan, I'm certain you will love this place too, as the sushi-eating crowd consistently gives it 5 stars. We're already planning our next opportunity to eat there (Richmond is 2 hours from home), and maybe next time we'll try the sushi!