“Genuine Pub Atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Penny Lane Pub
Ranked #71 of 1,594 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fairfield, Ohio
“Genuine Pub Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Good selection of ales and pub food; one cider (Strongbow) on tap; French onion Soup - Don't bother (but it is, afterall, a British Pub). Warm Brie with Chutney - need to deep fry or more thoroughly bake the Brie, but the bread and chutney (Apricot & Cranberry) was very good. The Reuben - that was good stuff! The environment was very much like that in Britain, complete with soccer on the tellie. If you enjoy British pubs, you'll like this place.

Visited May 2013

USA
“Pretty Authentic... all the way down to the "Fish and Chips"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had lunch here this week and it was a nice stop. Dark wood, plenty of photos of John Lennon, and a fire place. The menu was typical for a British Pub: fish and chips, grilled cheese on garlic bread, bangers and mash, and cottage pie.

The service was good, food was good, and the prices reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Columbia, Missouri
“Fun atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

A fun little bar with a great selection of drinks and memorabilia to look at. We were able to add to our pint glass collection with a glass from Penny Lane. We also visited during the Olympics and it was a fun atmosphere to watch the events in.

Visited July 2012
Hamburg, NJ
“Good lunch spot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Good lunch spot. This place is a bit outside the main downtown area and is one of the best choices in its location. Owner has a nice sense of humor.

• Visited March 2013
Richmond, VA
“Awesome space, solid food, great beer selection but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

The wife and I live in Richmond and have been to this place more than once. They have a fantastic location in the heart of Richmond and they have a solid core group of regulars who frequent for soccer matches. It's a lively place with a great "pub buddy" vibe.

Vibe:
I love the vibe in this place, it's dim lit and there is stuff everywhere. It feels like a london bar (although i've never been..) and I just feel comfortable hanging out there. I love a good pub that makes you feel like you'd like to kick back for a few and not worry about the next person that wants your table.

Service:
Every time we've been to the pub the service has been fair to poor. We have always had table service so I can't speak for the bartender service, but the waiters always seem to be flustered and possibly overworked. The last time we were there the waiter literally said "i'm not very good at what I do so you'll have to bear with me" and sort of reprimanded my group because we didn't all order our second round at the same time. He said "You guys are going to have to give me a break and let me know all at once for the next drink order so i'm not running back and forth"...... I understand that the hassle is annoying, i would be annoyed too, but that's not the point, you're being paid (and tipped) to serve this table and make us want to buy more beer and more food. Also, my wife asked the waiter for some bacon cheese fries, pretty simple pub order although not on the menu, he gave her a pretty condescending look and asked "have you ever ordered that here?" we said "um.. yes" and then he took the order with a pretty passive aggressive perplexed look on his face. It was just poor service. Nice guy, but very poor service.

Food and Drink:
I have had the French Dip sandwich as well as the Fish and Chips here and they were both great. The Au jus (sp?) for the dip was way too salty but hey, i had beer so I didn't mind. The wife got some fries and they were great.
The Beer selection rarely changes, but it's always solid. They have our local beer the Hardywood Singel (buy it. order it. it's a great beer - support RVA Beer), and they have the Fullers porter and london pride, as well as Blackthorn cider, an IPA (wasn't the best) a scottish ale, and at the time that I went they had a Black IPA from Sierra Nevada which was great. They also do custom concoctions like they do in EU such as a Snake bite or a shandy

Value:
This gets a D from me. All of the food was decently priced, however the beer was ridiculous. I understand that when you're swigging on craft beers the price will go up, but I dropped a LOT of money on the group, I'm not sure what the TA rules are for posting dollar figures but the beers were far too expensive. If I go to a pub I expect the beer to be fresh, flowing and at a reasonable price. It is not.

Overall:
I like this place, it's the kind of place that I WISH was better because I like it so much. Unfortunately I would not recommend it unless you're really into soccer and want to hang out somewhere for a match. If you're into drinking good beer in the City, go for Station 2. If you're further west, go to Mekong.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles