“Excellent place for real food”
Review of Edo's Squid

Edo's Squid
Ranked #51 of 1,608 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Excellent place for real food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I knew we were in for a treat when my foodie manager recommended this place as the best food on planet earth. We arrived to a few people standing on the stairs waiting for their seats. With it being a Monday night I figured this place must be good so my group of 5 people waited to be seated. That was a good call the food was excellent and it was all freshly prepared. Luckily i was dining with co-workers who didn't mind family style eating so we asked for 3 apps and 3 entrees the waiter thought best represent the place. Had the white beans and calamari, fried skate wing, fresh mozzarella with red and yellow roasted peppers with fresh basil as the apps and spaghetti with crabs, roasted duck breast with polenta and white beans and eggplant Parmesan as the entrees.
The white beans and calamari was very good the calamari could have come out of the pan a little but sooner for my taste but the beans were very tasty with garlic and lemon. My first taste of skate wing will not be my last it was very tender and fried to perfection with a light batter. It was accompanied with a lightly tossed salad that was very fresh and lightly tossed with a citrus vinaigrette. I will not be throwing skates back anymore when I reel them in fishing. The peppers and mozzarella were perfectly prepared with the right amount of oil and the fresh basil chiffonade left a perfect burst of flavor.
The spaghetti with crabs was very good but it could have used a little more of the sauce(dressing is more accurate) as it was a little dry. The eggplant parm was the best I've ever had. I'd normally not even order that as it usually is soggy and mushy but this was perfect. I was extremely happy when I saw the duck and even more happy and surprised by my favourite part of the meal being the white beans that accompanied the duck. Don't get me wrong the duck was perfectly cooked and the demi was just perfect. The polenta cake was also moist and creamy with a delicious crust perfect for mopping up the duck Demi. But those white beans were the highlight of my night. They must have been cooked in the duck fat with garlic and pancetta and cooked to the perfect consistency not mushy or too hard.
We initially decided we were finished with the feast but the waiter mentioned homemade tiramisu and being a big fan and the meal we just had I had a good feeling this was not going to let me down. Most of the table was glad I got that dessert as it was gone in a flash.

This is one of those gems that locals usually don't like to share but I'm glad we found out about this place and it sure lived up to my managers description. Do yourself a favor and hit this place if you are ever in Richmond, it's worth the wait.

Midlothian, Virginia
“This place is awesome”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Its small, cramped and hard to get a table at rush hour, but well worth the wait. Portions are large and taste great. I'm not a big fish eater, but their rare tuna steak is indescribable. You can't go wrong by visiting this little gem...

• Visited December 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Best Calamare”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Edo's Squid has consistantly served the best fried calamare I have had outside of Italy. Their pastas are also great. Get there early as the crowd starts about 6:00pm,

• Visited December 2012
boston
“No substitutions here!”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I have rarely been to a restaurant that won't accomodate small changes in their menu, but Edo's Squid turns out to be one of those rare restaurants. I was there with a party of 6 in November the night before the Richmond Marathon. I ordered ziti, shrimp, broccoli, and marinara. The waitress told me that was not an option, even though all of those ingredients were on the menu. She told me I could have it with spicy sauce, as it is on the menu, but I didn't think a spicy dish would work well for me since I was running 26.2 the next morning. She couldn't explain why, was frustrated at my questions, and went so far as to ask if we planned on staying or leaving. Being a frequent visitor to the Italian Restaurants in the North End of Boston where this practice is common place, I was totally shocked. Tonight I am in Las Vegas and ate at Noodle Asia in the Venetian. They had a dish that sounded good to me, but was spicy. I didn't want spicy. The waitress told me they could make it any way I wanted. That is the normal way restaurants operate- accomodating their guests. Unless you like dishes that are pre-made and reheated (which is apparently why Edo's can't make any changes) I would recommend you stay away. If you look at their menu and the dish is exactly as you want it, then you're in luck.

• Visited November 2012
Richmond, Virginia, United States
“Delicious Food!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Came here with friends and the food was fantastic! The menu was extensive, and we all tried and shared different dishes. I recommend calling and making a reservation, as the wait appeared to be quite long for those who didn't. Overall a fantastic dinner spot.