“Poor Breakfast, small room, low end for Marriott”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Short Pump/I-64
Ranked #30 of 81 Hotels in Richmond
Albany NY
“Poor Breakfast, small room, low end for Marriott”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

No big complaints. We checked in very late after a 12 hour road trip. The staff were fine. There was coffee and tea available. No juice except in the morning. If we had been traveling with kids this may have been a issue. No place to purchase something to eat or drink.

Have not stayed in Fairfield Inns recently so maybe this is PAR for the course but the breakfast had nothing hot except for some not too appetizing microwavable things, room was nice with large TV but a bit small.

Usually stay at other Marriott brands. Will probably not stay there again. Would recommend if other options not available but OK if budget is an issue.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
Hopewell Junction, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We originally booked at a Ramada. What a disaster. We traveled to Richmond for a week long baseball tournament. The whole team decided to switch to the Fairfield last minute due to the crappy Ramada conditions. Wow, what a surprise! Super clean, comfortable, and friendly. You could smell the cleanliness as soon as you walk into the lobby. There was always someone cleaning the place. The breakfast was simple but adequate. Free Wi-Fi! This was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This was just what I needed for my trip. It was right off 64 which I needed to take early in the morning to Monticello in Charlottesville (55 miles away). It was clean, welcoming and gave a hearty breakfast. Don't get your hopes up about the pool though. Very small and murky. Completely overrun by kids the second night I was there. First night I had it to myself. Lounge chairs just outside are surprisingly pleasant considering they overlook an empty parking lot.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2010

This hotel is adequate, and as other reviewers have mentioned, priced $10-20 below other comparable hotels in the area. It is a newer hotel, but starting to show some signs of wear. I would not recommend it for more than a one night stay. The rooms are small and the half wall between the "living room" and bedroom made it feel cramped even for two adults. The beds are not very comfortable, very little padding to the mattress. We skipped breakfast and ate at the Cracker Barrel which shares the same parking lot -- a good breakfast option. It is also not very close to the best shopping area, Short Pump. I would recommend staying closer to the Short Pump area if you are planning a stop in Richmond.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed July 3, 2010

--general clean look and friendly atmosphere, VERY
well-managed

--excellent breakfast for a motel, at least for east
coast, made-to-order waffles (note: not self-serve,
though could be), cereal, muffins, fresh fruit, microwave
quiche, hard-boiled eggs, very friendly staff

--high tech HD TV

--very well maintained

--free wifi

--Radio will connect to mp3 player

--heat/air allows the user to set an exact temperature

--problem: upper dresser drawers seem to roll open on
their own, reported to desk and they put a cake of soap
under the edge of the dresser to tip it back. It looks a
little tacky but solves the problem.

--cookies at front desk in evening

--good ice machine

--no clock in swimming pool

--exercise room

--Fairfield is a very well run chain

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My husband, daughter and I stayed at this property while we were in Richmond for a wedding. We got a great rate by booking ahead online at the AAA rate. The hotel offered early check-in, which was a great help to us in getting ready for the wedding. When we arrived, we were told that we were upgraded to a suite as the hotel had overbooked. Seemed like a sports tournament was in town, and lots of high school age young people. But they were well behaved and we heard no extra noise. Pool was busy. But we didn't have time to try it out anyway.
Our room was very nice for the $70 rate. 2 double beds and it also had a sofa bed which we didn't need. The beds were nicely fixed with updated white linens and extra feather pillows. We were given the choice when we booked if we wanted extra feather pillows, or a feather-free room. Our night's sleep was very quiet, and the room seemed to be well insulated from noise. Air conditioning was easy to control, and our room was comfy after a 95 degree day.
The suite had 2 older tv's, and a nice little stereo system too.
The only criticism we had of the property was that our showers were cold to luke warm on a Memorial Day morning. Didn't seem like a mechanical problem. We assumed that the hotel was fully booked with young people staying for the tournament, all showering at the same time. Also, I had requested extra towels, but there were no extra towels in the room.
The breakfast was above average for the typical free lobby breakfast fare. It included cold and hot items like waffles, cereal, muffins, hard boiled eggs, Jimmy Dean breakfast microwavable items, yogurt, hot oatmeal, coffee, juices, tea, milk, etc. Food was nicely set out, and the breakfast area was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
South of Boston
Reviewed April 25, 2010

With some trepidation, for the first time in 15 years, we drove from Mass. to our condo in Hilton Head. Actually, the trip (absent of horrible DC traffic) was perfect. Starting early, and breaking up the trip, helped make it a pleasant experience.

This hotel was a welcome place for our overnight stop. It is a little off of I-95, taking about 10 minutes from the exit (onto I-64). The lobby was bright, and the check in was extremely easy. The staff all want to make this a pleasant stay. The parking lot is well-lit, and within walking distance to a fun, casual restaurant called O'Charley's; also worth a visit without needing to drive again. Returning to the hotel, a tray of fresh cookies were at the front desk.

The room was quiet and clean, and we woke up to a nice continental breakfast. In all, I would highly recommend this hotel, and we booked on the hotel's website at a very fair place. The only downside was that wifi was a little spotty, but I can access the internet on my phone. We never visited the interior pool, but we were really looking for R&R before continuing on our trip in the morning. I plan to make this an annual stop for our next trip to Hilton Head.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple