“Not a bad "little" museum...”

Virginia Aviation Museum
Ranked #43 of 168 things to do in Richmond
Huntsville, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not a bad "little" museum...”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited over the 4th of July weekend with spouse. I guess I was disappointed because I went in with high expectations and comparisons to such museums like the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum, the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio, and the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. This is not on par with those large collections. The obvious star of this museum is the SR-71 parked outside the front entrance, along with an F-14 Tomcat and a Virginia Air National Guard A-7 to the side. There are several placards all around the SR-71 with great tidbits of information. However, it being exposed to the elements as it is, is beginning to take a toll on this legendary aircraft. Fading paint, bird droppings on the underside wheel wells, etc. On the inside of the facility, there are several static displays, most of which are from the 1910s to pre-World War II. No warbirds with the exception of a Spad XIII; no WWII aircraft or jets with the exception of what's outside. Some interesting displays. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for at $6.50 per person. The facility is well-kept and clean, and the staff was friendly enough. All-in-all, it'll take up an hour of your day.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank monon43

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Boys and their toys.. HA!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My two little guys and of course my Husband enjoy this museum! We have visited many .. MANY..times!! :) The exhibits are neat to see up close and the museum is in an actual hanger. There are a few picnic tables outside and the airport is if course always busy. So, there is the free entertainment that is exciting for us all! The charge to the museum is minimal and the children are always excited to go. Enjoy!

Visited May 2013
East Syracuse, New York
238 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 333 helpful votes
“An aircraft collection from WW1 to the 40's.”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Outside a visiter will be greeted by a Grummam F-14 Tomcat & a SR-71 Blackbird. In the lobby two ealy Wright gliders hang from the ceiling, both replicas. I would say half of the a/c are biplanes. Several a/c hang from the ceiling. All floor a/c are side by side, with no crowding and a low rope barrier in front.

The first area's a/c are from WW1 into the 30's, with the second being more modern. The newest a/c being a Douglas A-4 Skyhawk. All a/c have information stands. Besides a/c, a number of engines are available. In the middle of the museum is an upper floor allowing a visiter to get a 360 viewing and be closer to ceiling a/c.

For part of my visit , my guide was Val Gude. Val was very knowledgeable about all a/c and able to answer any question I asked.Val told me most a/c were flown in before being placed on the floor. All a/c are in excellect condition, no junk looking a/c.

A small gift shop is available. A visiter can see the Tomcat & Blackbird from Williamsburg Road. A visiter probably won't find the museum's address in their GPS unit. To arrive at the museum, take Airport Road South off East Williamsburg Road, driving around a winding Airport Roasd. The entrance should be the second left turn.

A visiter will find no large crowds. Good lighting for photograpky. I recommend a visit.

Hours:

Tuesday-Saturday 9:30-5:00.
Sunday -12:00-5:00.
Summer hours. Open May 27 thur Monday, September 2, 2013.

Admissiom:

Adult- $6.00.
Youth-$5.50.
Senior $5.50.
Active Military-FREE.
Members FREE.
Call for groups rates-804-864-1400, press 2.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

Visited May 2013
4 Thank Jack L
Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great little museum”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The TA reviews were so good for this one that I decided to see for myself. My kids and I had a great time. I think the price is reasonable for what they have, and the exhibits are very informative. Sometimes in the large museums, like Air and Space, there's almost too much to take in. My kids particularly enjoyed the hands-on opportunities, like the flight simulator and learning about the science behind flight.

Apparently you can't touch the Blackbird outside anymore, as it was roped off, but you could touch the other plane out there.

We might return again when my husband can come with us.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank MaryPoppins922
Richmond, Virginia
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'd seen the beautiful SR-71 Blackbird out front for years but was very surprised at the collection inside! Many interesting displays, never very crowded and something for everyone.

Really good if you have a couple of hours to kill before or after a flight as it's located on airport property.

Visited November 2011