“Good Food!”
Review of Max's on Broad

Max's on Broad
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's on Broad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 1,619 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed my visit to this restaurant. I didn't get to try their brunch, but their dinner menu was very filling and delicious! The only thing I see they can improve is there blinds or window coverings. It is wonderful to sit at the top of the restaurant on a beautiful sunny day, but when it is windy- the window coverings started to blow within the restaurant. Although this is a minor issue, the food and service was good!

There are newer reviews for Max's on Broad

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We visited Max’s On Broad for Brunch during the VCU graduation weekend. I suspect those events overloaded the restaurant’s capability to keep up with demand in the Kitchen. Once you get it the food is good to very good, but the wait is really long. The restaurant opened in December and has a new look and feel to it. It is two story layout and both levels are very nicely designed. The variety is quite good and the prices are not cheap but normal for the area. Our party had a number of different dishes. We tried the mussels in broth with Frites and Ratatouille for appetizers. The Mussels were quite good the Frites were great. The Ratatouille was rather ordinary. Our party had waffles, Eggs Bene Florentine, the Apple Curry Chicken Sandwich, the Pick 2 (cup of Shrimp Bisque (very good) and ½ a sandwich). Others had scrambled eggs and other egg dishes. They smoke their own bacon and it is very good. All were satisfied with the food but it took almost an hour for our main courses to arrive. Overall I would recommend you try the restaurant on a normal day and I think you will be very satisfied.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

My wife and I went to Max's on Broad (along with our baby) to celebrate an early First Mother's Day. We knew that there was a chance it would be very busy due to VCU's graduation ceremonies going on the same day. So we made an online reservation in advance through OpenTable. However, despite the reservation when we arrived we still had to wait about 10-15 minutes before a table was ready for us.

Upon seating, I really liked the restaurant's second floor atmosphere. I also was impressed with the food and drink menus, both with lots of good choices. The waiter who served us was also very polite and was initially very attentive to us. However, once we placed our order, things went downhill.

Our appetizers took a very long time to arrive at our table. Then, after we finished our appetizers, we had to wait a long time - again - for our main courses. We eventually had to flag down our waiter and ask him to check on the status of our order - twice. Again, it a very busy day, and we did have a baby with us. However, that is still no excuse for such a long wait between our appetizers and entrees. Unfortunately, by the time our main courses finally arrived our baby got fussy to the point where I had to take my meal to go and get our check.

Looking back, I would place a lot of the blame on their kitchen for their very slow service. Our waiter did do the best that he could under the circumstances. So, despite our very tasty food (at least as much as I was able to eat that day) I can not recommend this restaurant, especially as a place for special occasions. Perhaps on a normal day that's not too busy, the dining experience could be a better one for someone who has a lot of time in their schedule.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a reality check for would-be visitors to Max's. This was a big celebration night as it was graduation from my Executive Master of Science and it was my mom’s goodbye dinner after visiting with us. I had never eaten at Max’s but I talked it up to my wife and my mom as something that was special after reading all of the great reviews.
I don’t normally post reviews but this restaurant ruined our celebration night and instead of just hearing rave reviews you also need to know they have their off nights. This certainly was one of them. We will never be back because even though the odds would be in our favor for a good time, I never want to experience a night light we did last night again. It’s not worth the risk. I’m posting an honest review, both good and bad, and you will see why I’ll never risk coming back again.
We scheduled an 8pm reservation via OpenTable 2 weeks in advance. We arrived at 7:45 pm, checked in with the host and told her we would wait at the bar. I paid $27 plus tip for two glasses of Champaign and a rum and coke. The service at the bar was excellent even with a full house.
By 8:15pm we were done with our drinks and a host came by and asked, “Are you waiting for a table?” Huh? Yes, of course we are, we checked in over 30 minutes ago! She disappeared. 10 minutes later (8:25pm) we were given a “10 minute warning” by one of the hosts but it was another 15 minutes, yes, that’s 8:40, until we were seated. I saw what they did to accommodate us. They created a table for us right next to the bar. Yes, we waited 40 minutes for a table next to the loudest and most busy part of the restaurant, just 5 feet from the bar. We may as well have just eaten at the bar. It was so loud we couldn’t hear each other so we had to yell. So here I am with my wife and my mother right next to the bar and we can’t hear each other. So much for a special night. I was going to complain but that may have meant another 20 minute wait for a new table and we were starving by this time. Needless to say, the clock was ticking on our babysitter since we didn’t assume we would be seated at 8:40 instead of 8:00! So, stress was now infused into the evening.
We ordered appetizers and 20 minutes later they arrived around 9:15pm, there was nothing special about the frites but the escargot was superb. Next came salad and soup – which arrived again, after 15 minutes around 9:30pm. As good as you would hope a Caesar salad to be, but nothing unique or special. Then the long wait for entrees – 30 minutes passed and the waiter asked if we would like another drink and I said, “No, but we would like our entrees please!” 10 minutes later they arrived. Around 10:00pm. We all ordered fish. I had fish and chips. The frites were lukewarm but the fish was excellent.
My wife had a funny look on her face and asked me to try her fish. I tried it – it honestly tasted like wet cardboard. I almost had to spit it out. We called the manager over and my wife convinced him to try it. He did and the look on his face was priceless because it appeared he wanted to spit it out.
The manager was kind enough to cover all of our beer (4 of them) and take her entrée off the price, but that really wasn’t enough to salvage the evening. We paid a lot of money for a miserable experience. The only thing that saved the night was the two fine ladies I was dining with. If the manager was smart, he would have not charged us and even given us a gift certificate to come back and give them another chance. That will never happen. We will never go to Max’s again.

6  Thank GinterParkV
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Ate both dinner and lunch there recently while in town for a week-long conference. Loved the trout special with spinach, crab and mushrooms as well as the filet mignon salad. My lunch companion had the Vietnamese sandwich with kale side (sautéed with vinegar and ham/bacon) and enjoyed it very much. Service was attentive, professional, and non-rushed. Atmosphere was funky but tasteful. Can't wait to go back and try other tempting dishes, including the Belgian chocolate mousse. The only thing I ding them on for service is that I asked for no dressing on the salad, and when it arrived, the server told me there was no dressing; however, it turned out there was a balsamic vinaigrette on it.