“Wonderful place - great ambience, excellent service, excellent food”
Review of Chez Foushee

Chez Foushee
Ranked #29 of 1,719 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Arriving in Richmond for the first time on a cold, wet, mid-winter afternoon, my wife and I were ready for a good dinner that evening. Walking around the streets surrounding our hotel, I passed by a place that looked from the outside that it had some style - and its chalkboard list of dishes for that evening looked appealing. Looking through the glass entrance door, i could see a large bar and tables that were set with white tablecloths and wine glasses. It looked promising; but the place was closed. An hour or so later we went by again. The place was not only open, but it was packed. And it was still only a little after 6 pm. We were not used to a restaurant being packed at that time of day.
We asked the man who came to greet us if he might have room for my wife and I for dinner. He was very friendly, said he would try - and made place for us - at a window-side table in the middle of the restaurant.
It was the start of a very enjoyable evening at Chez Foushee - named for the street it is on. But we soon learned that this is a very good restaurant indeed, with a skilled and innovative kitchen staff, excellent service, and owner-managers who are a pleasure to encounter. Grilled breast of duck was on the menu - a dish that has to very attentively prepared to be memorable - and this one was. The appetizers were equally good. The wine list was limited, but more than adequate.
We had a good glass of malbec with the duck.
We went away grateful and happy; so much so, that we were determined to go back a week later when we spent another night in Richmond. This time I went by early to reserve a table. Not only did the owner-managers remember us, they remembered details we had talked about.
We were told that if we could get there by 5.30, they could offer us a table. Who ever heard of dinner at 5.30? But when we got there at 5,30, it was rapidly filling up. I could not resist asking why people ate dinner so early in Richmond - and was told that there were several cultural events that evening, so people were eating early before going to the theater or concert performance later.
Again we had an excellent dinner, and again we had fine wines with dinner. And again the service was wonderful; friendly, helpful, efficient. On the way out we thanked the owner-managers once again for a memorable time at Chez Foushee.
We would go out of our way to spend another evening there whenever we are traveling anywhere near Richmond.

1  Thank SeafarerRI

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We visited this restaurant last Saturday. Sorry to comment the following: our experiences were not met in total. Firstly we were placed next to the door (despite we made an online reservation and other tables had been available) – resulting in not feeling comfortable at all (cold air, always unsettled). Secondly we had to wait a rather long time till we were able to place the order. Thirdly we had to ask for some bread, which was – according to the servant - not available and had to be prepared in the kitchen. The table next to us got the same answer. This is less than normal standard.
Finally the dinner was okay – but, compared to the price, the amount and the service: it was really insufficient. Overall: a very pricy restaurant with good food but a lack of

1  Thank gspla
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Enjoyed a great brunch here. Great food and service in historic surroundings. I would recommend the rabbit special if on the menu.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

By reasonable, I don't necessarily mean inexpensive. But, for a menu of this quality, one usually pays much more. We are fish lovers and fish is one of the most difficult things to do right. Ours was perfect. The wine list is varied and priced fairly. The dining room is unusually set up with multiple levels. Somehow, there is a feeling of intimacy in a somewhat large dining room. The staff was excellent, and friendly. The only thing they lack is espresso for after dinner. We loved the place and it is only a block away from the Linden Row where we were staying.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Five of us went to brunch here for the first time before a play at nearby November Theater, and we all loved the experience. The service was flawless, the menu appealing, and the setting quietly elegant. Being able to enjoy a meal at a restaurant where you don't have to read lips to carry on a conversation with your friends was a welcome change from many of the area's brunch establishments.
I started with the seared Brussels sprouts salad and it was nothing short of superb. My main dish featured poached eggs, and the chef was either having a magical day in the kitchen or this place turns out the best poached eggs in the city. Everyone at our table was very pleased with their meals, and Joshua provided excellent service, making sure that we enjoyed a leisurely brunch with ample time to make our theater engagement.
I can also heartily recommend the lemon butter cake, and one of my companions was very pleased with the warm toffee pudding. I am now eager to return for dinner.