“Last Saturday Each Month” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiocca's

Chiocca's
Ranked #594 of 1,593 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Richmond, Virginia
“Last Saturday Each Month”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

There is a fun little band that playes here on the last Saturday of the month. Gayle McGehee and the Nocturnes play vintage music in an intimate setting. Todd Woodson on drums plus Steve Young on guitar pair up to bring the music to life. Gayle's rhythm guitar plus a bass player round out the group. With the addition of randomly visiting artists there is also an extra element of surprise. Friends hanging out and live music makes the last Saturday at Chiocca's a fun place to be!

Visited February 2012

Rochester, New York
“Neighborhood bar with good sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

Freshly made sandwiches down to slicing the meat. They added all the extras that make it truly tasty.

Visited February 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“A Plethora of Serious Sandwiches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

My daughter introduced me to Chiocca's this week when I told her that I wanted to try a new place for lunch. Chiocca's was her choice and now I see why.

Chiocca's is a small neighborhood sandwich shop located at 425 Belmont in an English basement. I'm sure that it's a favorite of locals and students. Their menu is mostly comprised of very large, well prepared hoagies and sandwiches. I had a delicious Rueben and my daugher had a club hoagie that must have had at least a full pound of meat on the sandwich.

All of the meats are top quality Thumann's products and there's nothing fancy on the menu. Chiocca's has a decent selection of beers etc and a funky ambience that feels just right. The place doubles as a pub for locals and probably looks the way it did in about 1900. I liked it alot!

We sat in a booth under a framed photo of Actor Jack Nicholson posing with the owner. Judging from the smile on Nicholson's face, I'm sure he enjoyed his sandwich too:)

• Visited January 2012
Houston, Texas
“Still the best subs in Richmond - maybe the East Coast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I lived right around the corner from Chioccas from 1997 to 2001 and ate here quite a bit in those days. I moved away from Richmond in 2001 and Chiocca's is one of the things that I miss most. I recently visited Richmond on a business trip and made a bee line to Chiocca's to taste one their incredible subs once again. The place still looks the same and still serves the best subs in town. An added plus is that they now accept credit/debit cards, which they didn't back in the day. The service is also how I remembered it - slow, but it is worth the wait. In addition to the great subs, the beer selection is pretty good for a dive place and also cheap. Do yourself a favor and try this local favorite.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Glenn R
Marathon, Florida
“Best Sandwich in Richmond? Heck yeah!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

Went here on a whim, within walking distance of a friends' house I was staying at. Had the Italian sandwich; tears came to my eyes. It was that good. What more can I say? I'll have to go back to try everything else, but I'm not sure how I can knowing how good the Italian sandwich was.

• Visited July 2011