“Not great. ”

Haiku Sushi & Lounge
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

To start, I have to give my server credit - the service was truly impeccable. He was on his A game all evening. The food was lacking, though. First, the water comes from a tap, and doesn't taste great. I got a $17 poinsettia roll and a $5 plain salmon roll. I liked the salmon roll a LOT more than the poinsettia, which is spicy tuna wrapped with tuna sashimi. The presentation is amazing, but the rolls are literally so big that I had to bite them in half, which is a huge pet peeve for me. The roe also tasted a little off - the kind of off-taste that leaves you thinking, "am I going to get food poisoning??" And I know this last part can't really be helped, but it still just did me in - a fruit fly flew into my soy sauce at the end and I didn't realize it until I had already dipped my roll into it. Blech. This wasn't the worst sushi I've ever had, but after the reviews, I thought it would have been better, and I left wholly disappointed. I won't be back.

There are newer reviews for Haiku Sushi & Lounge

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Haiku is located in the Shockoe Bottom, and has plenty of free parking in the lot across the street. My sister and I had a delicious meal, and our server, Heather, was very friendly and attentive. The spicy pork appetizer was fantastic, as well as the steamed pork dumplings. We ordered three rolls, and they were all delicious with beautiful presentation. Haiku is a welcome addition to the Richmond dining scene, and I look forward to returning.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Catch this rising star before it becomes a destination restaraunt. The food is excellent, the sushi is to die for and the service is outstanding. Portion sizes are large. The wine and beer selection is extensive. The atmosphere is relaxing and features a trendy upscale decor. It is similar to RVA's Osaka, but more diverse in your choices. Parking is not an issue, you park directly accross the street. There is a private dining room for small parties, which continues the trendy upscale decor and features a large wall fireplace.

You might wonder how a new establishment can start off this well, you need to consider Chef/Owner Hai is already a successful RVA restaurant owner (Wild Ginger and Osaka) and General Manager Mike Hinnermann has managed several successful RVA restaurants (Wild Ginger and Osaka). This has become a favorite spot for our family and friends.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Haiku Sushi is now open in Shockoe Bottom. We went a few weeks ago and had a delicious time. The new restaurant inhabits the space that was one Sensei. Vestiges of the old decor now mixes with the new. The owners of Haiku have (or had - not sure of the details) a connection with Eat Partners and parts of the regular menu resemble offerings from Wild Ginger or Osaka. But Haiku also presents a secondary menu listing 30 different rolls. Wow! What a quandary. So many choices.

We opted to order a bottle of wine - Roza Ridge Cabernet from Washington State and Steamed Spicy Pork Dumplings while we made decisions on which rolls to try. I fell in love with the dumplings. The dumpling skin was thin which thrilled me. So many places use a thick, bland skin that fills me up, but does not satisfy. The pork filling was tasty and the soy-based sauce, delicious.

And then it was roll time. We splurged and ordered two rolls each. We were not disappointed and left quite full. One of the things I generally get at a sushi restaurant is yellowtail sashimi; sometimes with rice, sometimes not. Haiku did me one better with the Silk Road Roll - spicy tuna topped with yellowtail and avocado and served with a wasabi mayo. I really got the best of all worlds. I could pull the yellowtail out and eat as is while enjoying the rest of the item as a true roll. I also had the Shockoe Roll - spicy shrimp topped with avocado and beet. Yummy!

Hubby went with the Sleepy Hollow Roll - tempura shrimp, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, spicy kani as well as the Friday Roll - a tuna, goat cheese, and avocado roll tempura fried. Both were delicious. It's recommended to eat the Friday Roll first to enjoy the warm goat cheese.

A tasty time throughout our visit.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I live WAY out in the suburbs, but I've known the owners of Haiku for several years and really wanted to try out their new place. It was definitely worth the drive in from Powhatan. Chef Hai and GM Michael recently left Osaka River Road to open Haiku. Those who are familiar with the menu at Osaka will recognize some old favorites. I was especially happy to see that the menu at Haiku features more Vietnamese entrees. I had the beef tataki and seafood pho. Both were outstanding. My husband is still raving about the pulled pork appetizer special. If you live in the Bottom, you should definitely check this place out. Even though it's a long drive, we will definitely be incorporating Haiku into our list of favorite places.