“Great New Place”

The Savory Grain
Ranked #68 of 1,606 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Richmond, Virginia
“Great New Place”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have really been impressed with this restaurant so far. I have eaten dinner here once and gone for drinks/appetizers. The food is relatively affordable and comes in large portions. The outdoor seating is nice but on a busy street. The drink menu is great and they have a nice happy hour. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2013

“Great new restaurant”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I had a great experience at the Savory Grain. Their selection of beer on tap is truly amazing - I had to get a flight of 6 at first because I couldn't make up my mind from all the choices. Our waitress was super helpful in making suggestions, both for beer and food.

We split the calamari and the scallops for our appetizers. Both were delicious! The calamari was prepared differently than I've ever had it, with a fried egg on top and a very tasty spicy sauce. The oysters were also amazingly fresh and delicious - also local from Deltaville! You always know that you are getting great oysters when they are served only slightly chilled as opposed to over ice, as this way the natural flavors aren't masked by the chill.

I had the pork chop appetizer with apricot sauce and mac and cheese casserole - delicious! I also tried the scallop entree and the softshell crab special, and both were also very good.

For dessert, we all split the pear and nectarine cobbler and the orange cranberry bread pudding. We were fighting each other for the last bites!

Overall, this is a great new local restaurant with creative food, an amazing drink selection, and great service. We also met the chef, who seemed very friendly and excited about his food and giving his guests the best experience possible.

• Visited July 2013
“Fabulous!!!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My Husband And I , Along With Our Five Children, Were Visiting Family In Richmond. We Luckily Stumbled Into The Savory Grain. The Menu Was Full Of Many Different Choices. The Executive Chef Came To Our Beautiful Farm Table And Also Offered Several Kid Friendly Foods That He Was Willing To Prepare. Our Food Was Fresh,HoT, And Delicious! The Desserts Were Also Winners! Also, The Wait Staff Were Very Attentive. We NevEr Had To Even Ask For Drink Refill. I HiGhly Recommend This Place. It Will Be A Regular Stop For Us During Future Visits. Bon Appite!!!!

• Visited July 2013
Washington, DC
“Excellent food with a casual atmosphere”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We went for an early dinner to Savory Grain, a relatively new addition to the interesting Richmond, VA restaurant scene. Richmond is fortunate to have many independenly owned unique restaurants which is wonderful in a country dominated by "chain" corporate eateries. Richmond is also fortunate to have beautiful old buildings with exposed brick walls that funky restaurants seem to fit in nicely.

We both had the grilled romaine salad with figs, blue cheese, almonds, and tempura onions to start. Really delicious with interesting flavors. I had the pasta with prawns, clams, and capers in a lemon butter sauce. Really outstanding and the sauce is a 10! My girlfriend had the pork chop with mushroom sauce and mac and cheese. Also excellent.

The prices were moderate, the wine selection was good (how many restaurants have a Portuguese Vino Verde?), and the atmosphere and service were great. Richmond is a wonderful town with many great restaurants and I put Savory Grain in the top ten. There is a serious chef in the kitchen and the menu reflects this. Highly recommended and we will go back for more.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank larry126
Manassas, Virginia
“New restaurant on Broad”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A Richmond friend recommended this new restaurant. A great suggestion. The menu is varied -- meat, seafood and vegetarian. Our choices were excellently prepared and tasty. The ingredients are often from local farms and so are really fresh. Nice wine selection and over 20 beers, including a number from Virginia brewers. The interior is cozy, attractive and includes a bar. Great place.

• Visited April 2013