“Do not expect anything great - simply average for Richmond Thai”

Ratee Thai Restaurant
Ranked #655 of 1,606 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Richmond, Virginia
“Do not expect anything great - simply average for Richmond Thai”
Reviewed August 30, 2014

We were told about a great new Thai place opening so we wentt o check it out and we were disappointed by the limited menu selection and the flavors were a bit flat. Really flat. Plenty of heat, but both dishes lacked the seasonings and the savoriness we hope to find in good Thai food. I had a curry and my husband had one of the noodle dishes. Besides the heat-spicy, no other flavor to speak of. Service was slow on a Sunday evening and they took a long time to bring us our check.

• Visited July 2014

Glen Allen, Virginia
“Pad Thai a winner”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I'd return but things weren't perfect. Service was friendly but haphazard. No silverware was brought until after our appetizer arrived. Fresh spring rolls were very fresh but had only a couple of shrimp bits. We ordered Tom Kha soup but another type was brought. When the Tom Kha arrived it lacked the spice level we ordered but was still tasty. Pad Thai Shrimp was very good. Red Curry Chicken was good, would have been better if the chicken wasn't dry. Had to request refills on hot tea. Give it a try and see how it stands up next to your favorite Thai restaurant...we are still searching for our favorite.

• Visited April 2014
Roanoke, Virginia
“Had a great business lunch!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I do not usually go for Thai food, and tend to choose Chinese when its available. However one of my co-workers insisted that we eat at Ratee Thai. I was beyond pleasantly surprised, the staff was more than willing to deal with my ignorance of Thai food and actually seemed to enjoy explaining their dishes to me. They have a real passion for Thai food, and recommended a lot of awesome dishes to me. I had the "drunken noodles" and some type of coconut based chicken soup and they were amazing. We also tried the curry puffs and they were good enough to have as a meal themselves. The portion sizes were great and everyone had a to go container to take with them when we left. If you're looking for a good restaurant to experiment with Thai food this is the place! They have a lot of options when it comes to how spicy each dish is, and they seem to be willing to adapt each dish to whatever you want. All I said was I wanted a little heat but nothing that would set my mouth on fire, and the dish was perfect. There was enough heat to add taste and nothing like I had heard about Thai food. I will be heading back there real soon, and would recommend it for any local businesses that want a good reasonably priced business lunch.

• Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Southern Thai Cooking”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

There are a lot of Thai restaurants in this area, as in most cities in the US. There are not many that feature Southern Thai Cooking, though. Ratee Thai Restaurant is the only one I know in Richmond that features such cooking. Of course, they have the usual Thai food as well. If you order Southern Thai, be ready for Hot. When they say three stars or four stars, they mean it. Four stars means that you need an extra bowl of rice to cut the burning sensation. If you like HOT food, this is the restaurant for you! My wife is Thai, and I've become accustomed to picante food, so I really like this restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
Virginia
“Just ok”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Decided to try out Ratee Thai so I ordered some take out. Beautiful and appeared clean when I entered the restaurant. The bathroom smelled horrible like there was a sewage leak. It was lunch time but the place was empty, maybe a sign? I ordered Tom Yum Chicken soup and Chicken Pad Thai. The employees were super friendly. I was disappointed when I opened my food and found only half the soup container full. The pad thai was good but no where near the best I have had. Prices are comable if not a bit cheaper than other thai restaurants in the area.

• Visited August 2013